Too long as an undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrewFromVA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone...
I started taking classes at a community college four years ago. My first year I only took a few credit hours, because I didn't know what I wanted as a major/career. Between that year and the next I decided I wanted to go to med school, but was naive and unaware of the commitment needed to attain that goal. I continued at the community college taking classes the next year. I then went transfered to a unaccredited, Christian school in FL. the next year, and attended that school for a year. I realized I had made a mistake in transfering there(for many reasons; a big one being the fact they are unaccredited). At that point I had been in college for three years, and had only 30-35 credit hours completed an an accredited school(the CC). Well, this past year I finished up my associates, and in the spring will be at a university here in the area, and I hope to graduate in two more years. My grades have been good throughout this mess, and I have been participating in solid EC's. Will ad coms look unfavorably on how long I spent as an undergrad? I expect they will some, but would this keep me out of med school? (Assuming they would accept me otherwise.) I know many variables come into play in the admissions process, but this is one of the variables I cannot control at all, and therefore it concerns me a great deal... I appreciate any advice given to me... Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Drew,

5 yrs is no too long a time period. I did 5 yrs in ug too and was accepted to 5 schools and no one questioned the length of my education. 2 of my other friends spent 6 yrs in school and both were accepted ( one to Bu, other to CMS)..so its won't be a big issue. As long as you were taking classes, and have activities to show for your time..you will be fine. I think most people are questioned about their after-graduation gaps during interviews. During one of my interviews, I was asked why I chose to apply to med school now and although he didn't say so directly,I felt the interviewer was referring to the 1 yr I took after graduating to work. So I just explained the situation and it was fine. It wasn't a red-flag accusatory question..just a general, let-me-understand-how-you-got-to-this-point thing..I got in and will be attending next year. So...don't sweat..there are plenty of non-trads (myself included, I guess), out there.

good luck!:)

Hey Maple, thanks for the encouraging info! It's good to hear others have been successful coming from where I am. Anyone else have a similar story?

my brother, also pre-med, is a gonna be a 5th year undergrad.... he's not worried at all :) and i know that he's gonna get in a very sweet med school on his first try.

on the other hand, i graduated in 4 years, and as you can see, i am still applying.