Too many choices! Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to this research summer program at a prestigious school of medicine. Not only will I have a faculty physician mentor, but I will get published.

I also got accepted with a hefty scholarship to study a language at a different prestigious university (not Spanish or French) and I really want to learn it. This language will be advantageous in underserved communities and in my future career.

I work 42 hrs a week as an EMT, and I'm supposed to start my post bacc program this summer. But I think I can take the gen chem sequence online and do the labs during winter break.

Which to choose, what to do?

I need to work ($$$) and I'm hoping my job will be flexible.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take the research position, then study abroad instead. You'll learn more studying the language in its home country than you ever will here.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Non traditional here, studying abroad is not an option unless I do a Boren fellowship once accepted into med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boren scholarships have a service requirement that you need to work for the federal government. "The NSEP Service Requirement stipulates that an award recipient work in the Federal Government in a position with national security responsibilities."

you can take a year off during med school to complete a Fulbright research scholarship, i think there's one specific to medicine.

that said, go with the research opportunity. you can always self study a language

I actually want to work in the U.S. foreign services as a doctor...idk I guess I'll look into it more. It's not an easy language to learn and not many places offer it. And it's part of my heritage so I have a personal connection to it.

But I am leaning more towards the research position, because...sigh...it will look good on med school apps.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not an easy language to learn and not many places offer it.

look into it. i self-studied two "uncommon" languages with no classes or native speakers near me. there are lots of online communities that share resources on how to do this. it can be done! sure, research will probably look better on your application, but learning a language can be done totally independently if you're that motivated. research, a mentor, and guaranteed pub is difficult to pull off on your own. seize the opportunity

Reactions: 1 user