Too many LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CremasterFlash

Born yesterday.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, you guys keep answering my stupid questions, so I'm going to keep asking them...

So, i've done well in my postbacc and have asked most of my professors to write a recommendation for me. Including a strong recommendation from my former employer, my current director of research and head of the associated department, as well as the department chair where i volunteer, i will be applying with about 12 recommendations in my "file". I expect that they will all be good recommendations.

Is this the kind of situation where they will just stop reading after a couple? Should I just submit 3... 5 or some other number that the schools require? Can we just submit a whole lot of them secure in the knowledge that these very busy people will read through a stack of hagiographies?

Members don't see this ad.

First-off follow the specific requirements each school has. Secondly..Quality matters over quantity.If i was you, i would ask only those prof's with whom i have spent considerable amount of time out of class.Remember you do not get to see what is in your LOR so you better be sure that it would be good, before you send it out.

:luck:

Most schools specify three letters. However, if you check with the admissions office, most are very happy to accept more. The absolute maximum number of letters you should submit is six. After that, they quit reading - and it makes you look a little foolish, not helping your app at all. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also have a whole lot of LORs in my file (prof's, work, volunteer, etc.). I definitely don't plan on sending all of them to the schools. I usually send 5-6, maybe less depending on the school requirements.

but here's how I see it. Let's say I'm waitlisted somewhere, and want to submit additional materials to supplement my file/show my interest. That's where these other LORs will be useful. So I i think there's no problem with gathering as many *quality* LORs as you can for your "arsenal" so to speak.

g'luck

While most schools say max 5, my advisor said I could squeak by with my 6 letters... because all 6 of mine claim I walk on water, and stuff :)

I've got 6 and I think that's pushing it. Make sure your best three are on top. It shouldn't take 12 letters to show what people think of you.

I dunno, I think I'm going with about 7, unless they strongly discourage extra letters. I have the three normally required from courses taken, plus a dean's letter from the graduate program I'm in--then I have two from MDs I've worked with and one from my former boss. I really hope that won't be detrimental to my application, I feel like my recommendations are a stronger part of my application.

Well, you guys keep answering my stupid questions, so I'm going to keep asking them...

So, i've done well in my postbacc and have asked most of my professors to write a recommendation for me. Including a strong recommendation from my former employer, my current director of research and head of the associated department, as well as the department chair where i volunteer, i will be applying with about 12 recommendations in my "file". I expect that they will all be good recommendations.

Is this the kind of situation where they will just stop reading after a couple? Should I just submit 3... 5 or some other number that the schools require? Can we just submit a whole lot of them secure in the knowledge that these very busy people will read through a stack of hagiographies?

Like many things in life, the key to success here is to READ AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS instead of just guessing or doing whatever the h*** you feel like doing. Nearly every school gives very explicit instructions for submitting LORs. Most schools require three letters and will permit you to submit up to two or three additional letters (making a total of FIVE or SIX, for those of you who are math-challenged. ;) ) If the school limits you to five or six letters, do NOT send more. If the school does not explicitly set a limit, my advice would be to call and ask whether you can submit a seventh or eighth or twelfth letter. (Though I agree with Non-trad Tulsa; I can't even *imagine* what the twelfth writer could be saying about you that hasn't already been covered several times over in the last eleven letters!) In general, y'all need to use your common sense here, and show some consideration for the adcom people whom you presumably want to show some consideration for you. Even many state schools are receiving a couple THOUSAND applications every year, each of which is coming with 3-6 letters. No adcom wants to wade through zillions of extra letters just because you and some of your compatriots decide that you're not going to bother following the school's instructions for submitting LORs.