too many summer classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floatingribs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking organic chem I & II in the summer and have previously taken calc in the summer. The reason I'm doing so is because taking them with the required load for my major is putting me between 22-24 credits and I'm already a year behind in the pre med track.
But I just realized I'll probably have to take physics I & II in the following summer as well. I'm taking all my courses at a well known public university, so no cc credits or different universities.

Will it hurt my chances though? Given I get As, will top/mid tier schools view it as negative b/c of all the summer courses? (Every semester I'm between 18-21 credits so my schedule is full)

Members don't see this ad.

No schools care if you take summer classes. It's credit from your university. They'll just look at the GPA. Don't rush yourself. It's better to be behind in your tract and have a higher GPA than rush to finish. Med school will still be around for you to apply to.

Reactions: 1 user
I was a business major and had to do like 60+ hours for the premed track (which was always my intention). After high school credits, it was like 30 hours.

I took classes every single summer. Nobody ever mentioned anything about it to me. I made the same grades in my summer and normal term classes.

A negative? Summer classes are usually way shorter. If you can get all that Ochem knowledge down in half the time and get an A, I saw bravo. I surely wouldn't hold it against anyone. If you're super worried about it, stop taking your science classes during the summer and take your other credits during the summer to free up space. However, I don't think this is necessary either.