Too Many Transcripts...need opinions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Curandero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I'm in quite a pickle. I graduated from undergrad and was taking the last of my pre-reqs/MCAT this year and applying to schools in June. I took Physics I and Orgo I (As in both) and everything was going great until Orgo II was just canceled at the university I was planning to take it due to a lack of enrollment...Some background, I moved to a new state last semester to get residency in a certain state. During the time I needed to take gen chem I and 2 over the summer and the only place that offered the course was this random university that cost me a lot of $. So w/e I took it and did well but then I took Physics I and Orgo I at the community college I was at now during the fall semester because I could not afford the out of state costs for these courses at the university I took general chemistry I and II at (like $950 per credit!) .

Okay, so if your still reading this this is where I need some real opinions. I already have courses across three universities (the one where I got my undergrad from, the one I took general chemistry at over the summer, and the one where I completed Physics and Orgo I at.) I have to take orgo II at a cost effective university and the university I took general chemistry at over the summer is just not an option. I was told that at the university I was going to take Orgo II at during the semester that they are going to offer it in the summer to hopefully get the enrollment that they need to run the course. Should I wait until this summer to take orgo II or should I take it online at another community college during the spring? This would leave me with four transcripts, which I'm assuming would raise red flags for admissions? Either way it's not going to look good but I have no other options at this point. Should I bite the bullet and take orgo II during the summer or should I take the online version at another community college during the Spring? It sucks that the educational opportunities around my area are so lacking but what else can I do? Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to check on this tomorrow, hopefully someone will get back to me by then since the clock is ticking!

Schools don't see individual transcripts, they just see a list of courses (and the University you took it at) arranged by semester. They likely won't even notice it unless its excessive. I don't think four transcripts meets that criteria, especially if a transfer/move to another state is involved. That being said, I think it would raise red flags if it looked like you were taking harder courses at community colleges instead of your home institution for whatever reasons. This is especially relevant for the pre-reqs.. where many schools may not even accept courses taken at community college.

You should look into this because it is something to be concerned about. Many med schools frown upon taking the pre-reqs at community colleges. THAT is what you should be concerned about, not the amount of transcripts.

As for an online course, that is especially concerning. Almost all of the medical schools I applied to explicitly noted that they would not accept online courses as pre-reqs. I wouldn't do it.. because it's likely you'd have to repeat the course later on anyways if you were matriculating at a school that would not accept the online course.

Basically, try to take the pre-reqs in general at four-year universities and not online or at a community college. See if your school will accept other credits from online/community college as transfer credits for your major/general education requirements so you can make the finances work. Otherwise, you may have to bite the bullet and hope that it's not an issue when you're applying, but I wouldn't chance it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had four colleges over 13years on my application, not a big deal

Schools don't see individual transcripts, they just see a list of courses (and the University you took it at) arranged by semester. They likely won't even notice it unless its excessive. I don't think four transcripts meets that criteria, especially if a transfer/move to another state is involved. That being said, I think it would raise red flags if it looked like you were taking harder courses at community colleges instead of your home institution for whatever reasons. This is especially relevant for the pre-reqs.. where many schools may not even accept courses taken at community college.

You should look into this because it is something to be concerned about. Many med schools frown upon taking the pre-reqs at community colleges. THAT is what you should be concerned about, not the amount of transcripts.

As for an online course, that is especially concerning. Almost all of the medical schools I applied to explicitly noted that they would not accept online courses as pre-reqs. I wouldn't do it.. because it's likely you'd have to repeat the course later on anyways if you were matriculating at a school that would not accept the online course.

Basically, try to take the pre-reqs in general at four-year universities and not online or at a community college. See if your school will accept other credits from online/community college as transfer credits for your major/general education requirements so you can make the finances work. Otherwise, you may have to bite the bullet and hope that it's not an issue when you're applying, but I wouldn't chance it.

Yeah but the community college thing has already sailed and passed (Orgo I and Physics I) lol so now the question is should I wait to take Orgo II over the summer or should I take it online at a CC this semester? I'm sending my apps in June, would any schools even consider me for an application without Orgo II on my transcript?

Also could you give me a list of the schools that would not accept pre-reqs at CCs haha? Just trying to shorten my list since like I said that ship has already sailed and passed and I'm not looking back.

Yeah but the community college thing has already sailed and passed (Orgo I and Physics I) lol so now the question is should I wait to take Orgo II over the summer or should I take it online at a CC this semester? I'm sending my apps in June, would any schools even consider me for an application without Orgo II on my transcript?

Also could you give me a list of the schools that would not accept pre-reqs at CCs haha? Just trying to shorten my list since like I said that ship has already sailed and passed and I'm not looking back.

Pretty sure my post already outlined what you should do. I think online + CC is a double whammy that you should absolutely avoid. I think you need to slow down and think ahead going forward though.. getting into medical school isn't a feat that you want to make harder on yourself. Finances will always be an issue but that's part of the game.

And most schools are okay with you taking the pre-reqs post-application.. as long as its done before matriculation. The issue would be with your MCAT timing assuming you haven't taken it yet.. although Orgo 2 is probably the least important of the pre-reqs for the MCAT if your sequence is arranged as most courses are.

As for a list of schools, no. Go through websites and check.. it's not that hard. Start with your in-state schools. Look at schools you are interested in. If you can't find the information online or in the MSAR (a must-buy), post in the school-specific thread here and I'm sure someone can give you an answer. I don't think such a list exists though.

Reactions: 1 user