Too poor for formal post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoorSanDiegan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I'm a career changer - I'm currently an EE - but I'm set to quit my job next month. I plan to attend UCSD (and possibly SDSU) via extension credits to take care of the classes I don't have. Since I studied engineering, I have the math, physics, english requirements taken care of. I figure, it'll take me 1 full academic year to finish the preqs I need to apply to med school. I would rather NOT go to a formal post-bac program just because it costs more, and it'll take another year out of me.

But, after reading through this forum, it seems that I might be at a disadvantage by not going through a formal post-bac program? Should I instead wait another year, and apply to a formal post-bac? In other words, would I be at a great disadvantage if I took care of my prereqs through UCSD/SDSU Extension?

Another question is - are there any AFFORDABLE post-bac programs? I'm already worried about how I'm going to make ends meet by going through taking classes through Extension...

Members don't see this ad.

i took all my chemistry classes in when i was an undergrad but did the rest as an unofficial post-bacc at portland state. it did save me a ton of money and allowed me to stay working fulltime in my job, which is very, very important to me. honestly, as long as you do well, i don't see why it would be a problem. the disadvantage of not doing a traditional post-bacc is that you have to be a bit more proactive about getting advice and dealing with the lor issue.

hey poorsandiegan....

i'm not far off from you in careers and location. i've been contemplating med school since i could talk and i'm now 28. i graduated in '99 with a BA in philosophy and worked in the corporate world for about 5 years. in light of this, i'm over the corporate world (although the money was good) and i'm finally deciding to do what i've always wanted to do. so......in the past 6 years i have debated between a RN to a PA and still never got the courage to just do the full MD, till now. we are both in southern CA and the education out here is unbelievably cheap..as long as your a resident. we're both career changers and need to have the natural sciences in order to even take the MCATs...my suggestion to you is to go to UCSD and ask to speak to an advisor and have a list of questions to ask them so that you can figure out if it's feasible to get the loans to do a postbac program. i'm so broke, but being originally from NJ and doing a postbac at rutgers for at least 10K vs. cal state LA for 1200 a quarter....there's no competition.

i have been researching this for years and found that i just postponed because i was more lazy than anything else. but, today i met with the director at cal state LA and talked about the options of doing a second bacc vs. post bac and the percentages of their students getting into med school. these are REALLY important questions to ask. for example, cal state LA offers assistance to all CA med schools and priority is ALWAYS given to residents first. there are reasons these programs exist..they offer the guidance to med schools and the networking needed to push your way when you don't have all the credentials that you may need.

anyway...i hope this helps a bit. i could write for days and show you literature, but i think the best bet is to call a SD school up and talk to their pre-med advisors and find a way to get an appt. i'm finding that a lot of the time they're not talking to students unless they're enrolled. you should just keep bugging and being persistant and you'll get an appt to ask all the questions you'll need--and for free!! good luck...and i hope i helped you.

PoorSanDiegan said:
Hi Everyone. I'm a career changer - I'm currently an EE - but I'm set to quit my job next month. I plan to attend UCSD (and possibly SDSU) via extension credits to take care of the classes I don't have. Since I studied engineering, I have the math, physics, english requirements taken care of. I figure, it'll take me 1 full academic year to finish the preqs I need to apply to med school. I would rather NOT go to a formal post-bac program just because it costs more, and it'll take another year out of me.

But, after reading through this forum, it seems that I might be at a disadvantage by not going through a formal post-bac program? Should I instead wait another year, and apply to a formal post-bac? In other words, would I be at a great disadvantage if I took care of my prereqs through UCSD/SDSU Extension?

Another question is - are there any AFFORDABLE post-bac programs? I'm already worried about how I'm going to make ends meet by going through taking classes through Extension...

Members don't see this ad :)
PoorSanDiegan said:

From what I've surmised you can take out a combination of private and federal loans to subsidize your tenure in a post-bacc program. Debt is not always a bad thing if it gets you into a good medical school with the possibility of a full-ride scholarship.

I don't profess to be the resident expert on this though, since I am still in the process of applying for post-bacc programs. Has anyone else gone to a post-bacc program completely on federal and private loans?

I got a BSME and did my grad work in Envr. Engineering. I didn't do the PB program, took my gap classes (2 OChem, 3 Bio's) and dove in. The major issues are GPA and MCAT. If you have good numbers there, your on the way. If either is weak, the other application issues are even more important than normal. You should be able to get 2-3 science LORs from the pre-reqs, some more from career contacts/colleagues, and then fill in with lots of volunteering a/o clinical experience. Don't do the PB programs. It will help, but not worth the money.

It is a tough road, but you can make it. I has been a lifelong interest for me, and now I'm starting in two weeks. Good luck.

I chose MD over DO, so give the osteo programs a good look too. Non-trad students are well represented in osteo programs.

Remember, to most adcoms, you are just a pair of numbers. If you make a first cut, then you will get a more thorough application review. Throw in a large dose of randomness, because the process makes no sense. Apply wide and far (15-20+ schools) to places you would really consider attending, if accepted. Your app must strike a chord with some adcom member to succeed in getting the interview. Then the rubber meets the road.

i think you make some good points here, but now a resident of CA and seeing what the options are here...the post-bacc or second bacc is not a bad idea. school here is CHEAP...and i'm broke, but relative to schools elsewhere in this country....this is not one state you can complain about.

i hear you about just taking the classes necessary to get through the MCATs, but there's something to be said that if you can gain something else in the process like a second degree or a master's etc..then why not do it? there has got to be a show of consistency, drive, and determination and it's not really a loss when you're paying 1200 a quarter to go to school. originally i just wanted to take the classes i needed (ochem and physics) just to take the mcats, until i was persuaded differently. most, if not all the schools i've looked at in the southern CA area make you matriculate into a program of some sort, but this does NOT mean you actually have to finish it. so, if you already have to go into it with a goal of a certificate from a postbacc..or a masters or a second bacc....just do it. if down the road, it's not worth your time and you're more than prepared then take the MCATs...it seems like a better route in my opinion. not to mention..it shows consistency and determination and a way to raise GPAs, prepare for the MCATs, and most importantly to NETWORK with the school to get recommendations etc... it can't hurt in my opinion.

OrthoFixation said:
I got a BSME and did my grad work in Envr. Engineering. I didn't do the PB program, took my gap classes (2 OChem, 3 Bio's) and dove in. The major issues are GPA and MCAT. If you have good numbers there, your on the way. If either is weak, the other application issues are even more important than normal. You should be able to get 2-3 science LORs from the pre-reqs, some more from career contacts/colleagues, and then fill in with lots of volunteering a/o clinical experience. Don't do the PB programs. It will help, but not worth the money.

It is a tough road, but you can make it. I has been a lifelong interest for me, and now I'm starting in two weeks. Good luck.

I chose MD over DO, so give the osteo programs a good look too. Non-trad students are well represented in osteo programs.

Remember, to most adcoms, you are just a pair of numbers. If you make a first cut, then you will get a more thorough application review. Throw in a large dose of randomness, because the process makes no sense. Apply wide and far (15-20+ schools) to places you would really consider attending, if accepted. Your app must strike a chord with some adcom member to succeed in getting the interview. Then the rubber meets the road.

Which program did you attend (New Brunswick or Newark) I am applying for the New Brunswick program and I've been trying to figure out how I'm paying for it! Also, what did you think of the Program? Thanks :)

LAcmw said:
hey poorsandiegan....

i'm not far off from you in careers and location. i've been contemplating med school since i could talk and i'm now 28. i graduated in '99 with a BA in philosophy and worked in the corporate world for about 5 years. in light of this, i'm over the corporate world (although the money was good) and i'm finally deciding to do what i've always wanted to do. so......in the past 6 years i have debated between a RN to a PA and still never got the courage to just do the full MD, till now. we are both in southern CA and the education out here is unbelievably cheap..as long as your a resident. we're both career changers and need to have the natural sciences in order to even take the MCATs...my suggestion to you is to go to UCSD and ask to speak to an advisor and have a list of questions to ask them so that you can figure out if it's feasible to get the loans to do a postbac program. i'm so broke, but being originally from NJ and doing a postbac at rutgers for at least 10K vs. cal state LA for 1200 a quarter....there's no competition.

i have been researching this for years and found that i just postponed because i was more lazy than anything else. but, today i met with the director at cal state LA and talked about the options of doing a second bacc vs. post bac and the percentages of their students getting into med school. these are REALLY important questions to ask. for example, cal state LA offers assistance to all CA med schools and priority is ALWAYS given to residents first. there are reasons these programs exist..they offer the guidance to med schools and the networking needed to push your way when you don't have all the credentials that you may need.

anyway...i hope this helps a bit. i could write for days and show you literature, but i think the best bet is to call a SD school up and talk to their pre-med advisors and find a way to get an appt. i'm finding that a lot of the time they're not talking to students unless they're enrolled. you should just keep bugging and being persistant and you'll get an appt to ask all the questions you'll need--and for free!! good luck...and i hope i helped you.

hey...it would be the one in new brunswick...and, as for paying for it, i have NO idea. i'm still trying to figure out how to pay for my rent. i'm not necessarily sure that the RU program will be better than doing a postbacc here in LA or a second bacc. my situation is a bit different considering i'm technically a resident in CA and by default i'm a resident in NJ. the curriculum at rutgers vs. the one here at cal state is no different...the ONLY difference is the amount of money and where i choose to attempt to apply for med school. i just applied for FAFSA and of course i don't qualify for any grants, so now i just have to wait and see what the school & fed gov't will give me. school is probably the ONLY good reason to go into debt...in the end, it will pay off...

Hi again everyone. Thank you for all the feedback - makes me feel a lot better about pursuing studies at UCSD. Now my second worry - is whether or not I'll get the classes I need. I'll be going to UCSD as an extension student, meaning I'll have the lowest registration priority. I'm just hoping and praying that several students will drop out of the courses in the first few weeks.

LAcmw - thank you in particular for your feedback. I'd like to stay in touch - I'll be PMing you with questions in the near future if you don't mind?

OrthoFixation said:
:eek: you chose MD over DO? I think you mean DO over MD ;)

There are actually alot of people I know that are doing informal post-bacc. They just take prereqs, then upper level classes in order to boost gpa. I am one of them. I'm going for a 2nd degree in biochem (first was in econ). I had a thread somewhere where I had a poll of whether they were doing offical/unoffical or do it yourself programs. I look at what we are doing a do-it-yourself program maybe unoffical b/c I'm actually registered. Also enrolled as a 2nd degree candidate gives you one more year of eligibilty for federal student loans (if you already had 4 years in undergrad). Just an idea ;) But I'm doing this at a state school in the midwest because there are no post-baccs near me.

:luck:

hey...fell free to PM me. i'm sooo new to this and i don't quite get all the tricks of these threads so i may miss some things. i've got tons of info on this stuff too. also, my good friend is a law student doing there and i try to visit her quite a bit...if we can keep in touch let's try to meet up some time and have a drink or 6--SD is my ONLY break from LA. actually, i'll be going to NJ next week to look at rutgers one last time to make my decision....anyway, keep me posted.

LAcmw - thank you in particular for your feedback. I'd like to stay in touch - I'll be PMing you with questions in the near future if you don't mind?[/QUOTE]

LAcmw said:
hey...it would be the one in new brunswick...and, as for paying for it, i have NO idea. i'm still trying to figure out how to pay for my rent. i'm not necessarily sure that the RU program will be better than doing a postbacc here in LA or a second bacc. my situation is a bit different considering i'm technically a resident in CA and by default i'm a resident in NJ. the curriculum at rutgers vs. the one here at cal state is no different...the ONLY difference is the amount of money and where i choose to attempt to apply for med school. i just applied for FAFSA and of course i don't qualify for any grants, so now i just have to wait and see what the school & fed gov't will give me. school is probably the ONLY good reason to go into debt...in the end, it will pay off...
Are you doing the pre-med program at NB? or the actual upper level post-bacc program?

Hi,

Someone else posted in that they did the same thing as far as registering for a 2nd undergrad degree to get financial aid and loans. They somehow managed to do it at Rutgers New Brunswick. I am not sure how they did it, but would like to know more about it. Did you register for a 2nd undergrad degree and then fill out the FAFSA? There is so much to this! I think the first thing I better do is finish my application to NB. Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I don't know what I'd do if it weren't for the posters on this forum. :)

mshheaddoc said:
:eek: you chose MD over DO? I think you mean DO over MD ;)

There are actually alot of people I know that are doing informal post-bacc. They just take prereqs, then upper level classes in order to boost gpa. I am one of them. I'm going for a 2nd degree in biochem (first was in econ). I had a thread somewhere where I had a poll of whether they were doing offical/unoffical or do it yourself programs. I look at what we are doing a do-it-yourself program maybe unoffical b/c I'm actually registered. Also enrolled as a 2nd degree candidate gives you one more year of eligibilty for federal student loans (if you already had 4 years in undergrad). Just an idea ;) But I'm doing this at a state school in the midwest because there are no post-baccs near me.

:luck:

Beautifulchild said:
Hi,

Someone else posted in that they did the same thing as far as registering for a 2nd undergrad degree to get financial aid and loans. They somehow managed to do it at Rutgers New Brunswick. I am not sure how they did it, but would like to know more about it. Did you register for a 2nd undergrad degree and then fill out the FAFSA? There is so much to this! I think the first thing I better do is finish my application to NB. Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I don't know what I'd do if it weren't for the posters on this forum. :)
I actually applied to Rutgers-Camden and if I wasn't moving out ot the midwest would be attending there as a 2nd degree candidate for biology ;) You can do your fasfa as soon as its released for the school year (it was a few months ago). I suggest you do it ASAP though because it takes a few days to process. I have the electronic signature with my loans from college so I just do it over the internet which I think is easier.

You are eligible for "post-bacc" federal loans for one year outside of your 4-year insitution. Otherwise your education has to be financed by private loans such as through sallie mae, banks, etc.

i haven't chosen which program i'll do, but it was for the post bacc program at new brunswick... the one with the certificate and without.. if that helps?? or maybe i'm not sure what you mean...

mshheaddoc said:
Are you doing the pre-med program at NB? or the actual upper level post-bacc program?

LAcmw said:
i haven't chosen which program i'll do, but it was for the post bacc program at new brunswick... the one with the certificate and without.. if that helps?? or maybe i'm not sure what you mean...
Ok so you are just doing prereqs then. Just clarifying. There is apparently an master-level post-bacc kinda like newarks program for those already with pre-reqs completely but I didn't know about that. I thought only Newark/Straford had the masters. Just ignore me now :)

LAcmw said:

LAcmv, it sounds like you looked a lot at the Cal State LA program. Do you know if the Cal States still charge duplicate degree tuition for second bachelors program? I also noticed a lot of the Cal State schools, such as Fullerton and Pomona, are not accepting second bachelors degree applicants.

I guess the other option is to use open university, but a lot of the Cal States near my house have closed/impacted classes for a lot of the premed prerequisite classes.

hey...finally someone looking at cal state schools too! as for the duplicate charge...all i know is that it costs about 1200 a quarter for grads and second baccs like us. the cal states are interesting..it seems that they're on a rotating basis for certain kinds of matriculation. like..some schools have allowed for students to apply as just a postbacc undeclared and you're taking classes a la carte--if that makes sense.

i would like to chat more with you about school. email me at [email protected] or you can find me on aol IM at crystalw2877.

crystal

cosmicstarr said:
LAcmv, it sounds like you looked a lot at the Cal State LA program. Do you know if the Cal States still charge duplicate degree tuition for second bachelors program? I also noticed a lot of the Cal State schools, such as Fullerton and Pomona, are not accepting second bachelors degree applicants.

I guess the other option is to use open university, but a lot of the Cal States near my house have closed/impacted classes for a lot of the premed prerequisite classes.

Check out SDSU post-bacc links at the www.aamc.org website. They have a program at www.sci.sdsu.edu/preprof/premed.html. Even though you would go in as an extension student, their program will help you. I considered applying to their program, but I am a caregiver right now, so I can't leave my area for a long time. (But I pass through SD every month to do volunteer work).

PoorSanDiegan said:

cosmicstarr said:

Where do you live in California?

Some Cal States are not accepting 2nd bachelor's and others are. Check out www.csumentor.org and search for second bachelor's degree. They give a list of classes.

Also, Cal State Dominquez Hills (Carson, CA) has a post-bacc program for premeds. The deadline to apply has been extended to August 25 for this Fall 2005.

hey...although, i think some of you guys know, but the Cal State that definitely does a second bacc is the LA school. i've been accepted to it already. they Cal State system does some funny things....it's as if they rotate certain types of their matriculation between the schools. like...in '04 you could go to cal state LA as post bacc undeclared...now it doesn't exist. and, a year or two ago you could do a second bacc at Northridge, but now you can't. i'm not sure i get. the whole UC system, although...very good, can make things complicated for a lot of us that may just want to do a la carte.

eccles1214 said:
Where do you live in California?

Some Cal States are not accepting 2nd bachelor's and others are. Check out www.csumentor.org and search for second bachelor's degree. They give a list of classes.

Also, Cal State Dominquez Hills (Carson, CA) has a post-bacc program for premeds. The deadline to apply has been extended to August 25 for this Fall 2005.