Too Tough of a Courseload

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikeshp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for second semester of next year. I plan on taking:

Biochem
Physiology
A philosophy course required for graduation
A psychology course required for graduation
A communications class

the first two are really hard according to people who have taken it
communications is easy but time consuming.
dont know about the philosophy and psychology

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely doable...

i can not take philosophy and psychology, but i would need to take some course in addition to those in order to keep scholarships (i need 30 credit hours a semester, but am taking only 13 next semester, with 4 labs)

Members don't see this ad :)
lol no...easy schedule if u ask me

try...

biochem 2
mamilian physiology
clinical psychology
developmental psychology
calc 3
differential equations

and thats actually pretty chill (no physics YAY!)

Like Nike says: Just do it.

Biochem
Physiology
A communications class

depends what your philosophy course is like and who teaches it. is it an analytical philosophy course or continental philosophy course? a philosophy course i took last semester was by far the most difficult course i have taken in my academic career (it was also the most enjoyable course), my point is that philosophy isn't easy, and if it's a hard philosophy course, this may make your schedule very difficult. still doable if you're efficient though.

I had the same schedule my Junior year.

Study ahead of time and don't leave yourself with a cram session. What helped me most was reviewing each class shortly after each lecture and looking ahead. Believe me, it makes a world of difference if you even take 15 min to look ahead in material. This may be a tough schedule, but you can make it easy on yourself. Good luck!

:confused: that sounds like a tough schedule to me. good luck to you OP. :luck:

does anyone know if it would be possible to take all of these courses abroad somewhere?

i really want to study abroad, and second semester next year is the best time for me to do it (first semester junior year - mcat, second semester junior year - prepare application, all senior year - more med school stuff) i might not be able to take all of these courses. if i can't take biochem and physio, im not goign to go abroad, taking comm would be a big help, the other two would be good but not necessary

Whether of not you can take them abroad completely depends on the program... Just check with your school.

As far as the difficult, eh... If you can't handle it, you're gonna find it tough to handle all you'll have to do in med school and beyond. I've definitely seen and had harder semesters that turned out just fine.

Biochem
Physiology
A communications class

i can not take philosophy and psychology, but i would need to take some course in addition to those in order to keep scholarships (i need 30 credit hours a semester, but am taking only 13 next semester, with 4 labs)

The schedule looks fine, definitely doable. By chance, did you mean 30 credit hours per year rather than per semester?

Biochem
Physiology
A communications class

I would say that the best thing to do is what you are most comfortable with. If you know that you can't handle alot of tough courses at the same time then don't do it. But if your desire is to get into medical school then you are simply putting off the inevitable. In medical school all you have is science classes. Individually, medical school classes are not hard, but its the balancing act that gets most students. Learning how to balance challenging classes early (i.e.-before med school) is better than learning when you get there. Really try to develop your study skills now so that when you get to medical school you will only need to do minor readjustments rather than a complete overhaul.

Biochem
Physiology
A communications class

to be more construtctive..it depends on what your goals are...i mean, okay it may be a little more difficult to bust out a 4.0 this semester but that is not every1's true, and honest goal...u mite look at it this way...

Biochem (definite A,A- has 2 be its a sci:D)
Physiology (again definite A,A-)
A philosophy course required for graduation (B+, A-)
A psychology course required for graduation (A+) tho i did get an A- in a psyc course this semster str8 up papers tho argh
A communications class (A+)

so u shud really only trip over that philosphy course like james suggested...find out how the prof is...got pick a prof?

to be more construtctive..it depends on what your goals are...i mean, okay it may be a little more difficult to bust out a 4.0 this semester but that is not every1's true, and honest goal...u mite look at it this way...

Biochem (definite A,A- has 2 be its a sci:D)
Physiology (again definite A,A-)
A philosophy course required for graduation (B+, A-)
A psychology course required for graduation (A+) tho i did get an A- in a psyc course this semster str8 up papers tho argh
A communications class (A+)

so u shud really only trip over that philosphy course like james suggested...find out how the prof is...got pick a prof?

well the good thing about my school is that any A is a 4.0

So I have to aim for a 90 in every course, I think im going to go with it. hopefully i will be able to find a study abroad program where i can take the majority of these courses

I would say that the best thing to do is what you are most comfortable with. If you know that you can't handle alot of tough courses at the same time then don't do it. But if your desire is to get into medical school then you are simply putting off the inevitable. In medical school all you have is science classes. Individually, medical school classes are not hard, but its the balancing act that gets most students. Learning how to balance challenging classes early (i.e.-before med school) is better than learning when you get there. Really try to develop your study skills now so that when you get to medical school you will only need to do minor readjustments rather than a complete overhaul.

very well put. i know a lot of ppl are saying your schedule isn't too bad, but for someone like me (who hates reading), taking philosophy and psych would be a sore punch to my GPA. but like the med student says, it's good to try out the "heavy course load" at least once in your u-grad. it will teach you a lot about yourself (if you're even capable of handling it, or how to manage your time efficiently). last quarter, i thought i was going to die half way in-- i was taking all science courses, all w/ labs. the initial round of midterms SUCKED. i bombed one, and barely hit average on everything else. the classes itself weren't hard, just time consuming. especially b/c i like to do "college" things and go out often, i thought i'd never find enough time to study. but isn't it amazing how the human mind and body works? it can adapt to just about any situation. somewhere along the bend, i learned how to study more efficiently. i used to be the kind of student that liked to read everything, memorize like crazy, and know every little fact about absolutely nothing-- now, i know if you just get the BIG picture, all the rest falls into place. it's pretty cool how it worked out. it's almost like you re-wire your brain; enabling you to filter out the crap, and put together a logical scheme of what's going to be on the exam.

good luck. i'm sure you'll be fine

Biochem
Physiology
A communications class

Honestly, this looks like a normal schedule for most people (I think, at least for me it does). Definitely doable.

I dont think its that bad

I'm taking Ochem 2 + physiology so its relatively similar to what you're taking for science classes.

It's not too heavy a course load. I'm sure you can handle it. :) :luck: :thumbup: