1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Tooth Storage: Bleach? EtOH? Gelatin? Ringer's? PBS? ESPN?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by trypmo, Apr 15, 2004.

1. trypmo

trypmo Arch Fiend
    7+ Year Member

Yet another tooth-collecting-related thread, but this one's about whether anybody knows a SPECIFIC formula for a solution in which to store/sterilize extracted teeth, preferably something that's nice and compliant with all the nasty regulations regarding biological waste (or would that be plain-ol' regulations regarding nasty biological waste?).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bickle

Bickle future NYC taxi driver
    10+ Year Member

I was told to store them in a 1:10 diluted bleach solution.

4. misogi

misogi Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was told 1 part bleach to 10 parts water solution as well.

5. trypmo

trypmo Arch Fiend
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for your quick replies!

That's weird, though, because:
    (a) doesn't bleach supposedly alter the natural coloring of the tooth material after a while? and
    (b) after a few days, diluted bleach loses its capacity to disinfect (learned this in a safety course once; it's perhaps the only useful thing I got from it).

But hey, if it's what ppl normally use, I'll go along if it means I can collect some teeth! :D

Any other recommendations?

6. RaiderNation

RaiderNation Recently Reinstated
    7+ Year Member

I'd go for ESPN. You get great sports coverage with a plethora of witty hosts. You can't beat that.

7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Private Investigator
    7+ Year Member

Trypmo: What will you be doing with your collected teeth? I'll bet you've got something interesting planned for your DS -1.25 curriculum.. please share.

Sam

8. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

Listerine is good too. And unlike bleach, you won't ruin your clothes if you accidently drip/spill some.

HTH.

9. Mangocat

Mangocat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Maybe Ringer's solution or Hanks Basic Salt Solution (HBSS)? Because those are used to keep tissue viable. But the d-students gotta confirm that one for me.

And I think you can't really get access to those unless you're in a lab or have shady connections-so maybe that isn't very plausible

10. trypmo

trypmo Arch Fiend
    7+ Year Member

Aha: Listerine! That's the kind of thing I was trying to think of. Perhaps bleach solution for initial sterilizing, then listerine for storage. Hmm... now the question is whether I should get the minty kind, the orangey kind, or the rebarbative (original) kind. :laugh:

And in response to Sam Spade: I guess I'm mainly thinking that if I do some collecting now, relatively slowly and passively, then I won't have to panic when it comes time to practice for real preps. If there's one thing I've learned from grad school, it's that if I prepare way in advance for something, then I end up thanking myself when the time comes to build on that preparation.

...or just call me weird. :p