1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Tooth Storage: Bleach? EtOH? Gelatin? Ringer's? PBS? ESPN?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by trypmo, Apr 15, 2004.

1. trypmo

trypmo Arch Fiend
    7+ Year Member

Yet another tooth-collecting-related thread, but this one's about whether anybody knows a SPECIFIC formula for a solution in which to store/sterilize extracted teeth, preferably something that's nice and compliant with all the nasty regulations regarding biological waste (or would that be plain-ol' regulations regarding nasty biological waste?).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bickle

Bickle future NYC taxi driver
    10+ Year Member

I was told to store them in a 1:10 diluted bleach solution.

4. misogi

misogi Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was told 1 part bleach to 10 parts water solution as well.

5. trypmo

trypmo Arch Fiend
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for your quick replies!

That's weird, though, because:
    (a) doesn't bleach supposedly alter the natural coloring of the tooth material after a while? and
    (b) after a few days, diluted bleach loses its capacity to disinfect (learned this in a safety course once; it's perhaps the only useful thing I got from it).

But hey, if it's what ppl normally use, I'll go along if it means I can collect some teeth! :D

Any other recommendations?

6. RaiderNation

RaiderNation Recently Reinstated
    7+ Year Member

I'd go for ESPN. You get great sports coverage with a plethora of witty hosts. You can't beat that.

7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Private Investigator
    7+ Year Member

Trypmo: What will you be doing with your collected teeth? I'll bet you've got something interesting planned for your DS -1.25 curriculum.. please share.

Sam

8. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

Listerine is good too. And unlike bleach, you won't ruin your clothes if you accidently drip/spill some.

HTH.

9. Mangocat

Mangocat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Maybe Ringer's solution or Hanks Basic Salt Solution (HBSS)? Because those are used to keep tissue viable. But the d-students gotta confirm that one for me.

And I think you can't really get access to those unless you're in a lab or have shady connections-so maybe that isn't very plausible

10. trypmo

trypmo Arch Fiend
    7+ Year Member

Aha: Listerine! That's the kind of thing I was trying to think of. Perhaps bleach solution for initial sterilizing, then listerine for storage. Hmm... now the question is whether I should get the minty kind, the orangey kind, or the rebarbative (original) kind. :laugh:

And in response to Sam Spade: I guess I'm mainly thinking that if I do some collecting now, relatively slowly and passively, then I won't have to panic when it comes time to practice for real preps. If there's one thing I've learned from grad school, it's that if I prepare way in advance for something, then I end up thanking myself when the time comes to build on that preparation.

...or just call me weird. :p