Tooth Wax?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

REH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm a pre-dent whose looking to do a little tooth waxing. Would someone be kind enough to tell me what type of wax I should buy for this? I've done some searching on the web, but haven't been able to find anything. I'd greatlly appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch,
REH.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a pre-dent whose looking to do a little tooth waxing. Would someone be kind enough to tell me what type of wax I should buy for this? I've done some searching on the web, but haven't been able to find anything. I'd greatlly appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch,
REH.

Do yourself a favor...take the money you were going to spend on wax and spend it on tequila shots. Or amphetamines. You'll get plenty of waxing done in school, no need to start now. Thank me later.

Search for dental wax carving instruments, dental wax applicators and dental inlay wax...you should be able to find all you need. May also search for typodonts with teeth designed for a wax up. Although as previously posted, you will get plenty of this while in school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah man, screw waxing. Go live it up before hell starts.

yea dont waste your time bro. You'll get enough of that crap in dschool. Waxing in and of itself is a completely useless skill in my opinion anyway. I guess its good b/c you really learn the morphology of a tooth..but other than that I think its a waste of time. I would def. take those hours in lab and study for biochem or physio if I could.

Spend all that time to study neuroscience, physio. Wax up is fun but don't need to overkill. Enjoy your life. You can still get into ortho

I'd recommend studying the sciences you'll be taking in first year instead of waxing.

holy crap. hey man, if you want some wax, I'll send some to you. PM me.

:thumbup:

HATERZLOL:thumbdown:

Thanks to everyone who replied. I have to say, some of the comments definately made me laugh. :) Just trying to get my feet wet, that's all... Advice taken.

Cheers,

REH.

Yeah, I will send you my 10 unit to wax. Give me your address, I'll have DHL deliver it to your door

don't worry about getting your feet wet, you will be drowning in no time.
and i was sick of waxing after our 2nd tooth, so thank god i didnt start doing it BEFORE school started
p.s. ditto the comment on using the money for tequila shots :thumbup:

don't worry about getting your feet wet, you will be drowning in no time.
and i was sick of waxing after our 2nd tooth, so thank god i didnt start doing it BEFORE school started
p.s. ditto the comment on using the money for tequila shots :thumbup:

here here, also waxing without guidence of an instructor is pretty fruitless. How can you wax without someone telling you how awful your marginal ridge is an how your crest of curvature is siht.

If you show up to your first day in sim lab talking about all the waxing you did on your own, assumptions will be made about you.

I think the key thing for a predent to learn from this thread is just how much dental students love complaining about their lives to anyone who will listen. That's an area that you can focus on now so that you aren't behind when you start school this summer. Make sure that everyone who knows you(or who doesn't) is fully aware of just how hard your life really is. And make sure to remind them frequently. In closing, my life is sooo much harder than yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^Mine's harder. But at least my neuro final is now over.

P.S. Waxups are complete BS and serve no useful purpose *except* *maybe* help you figure out tooth anatomy.

After week 2 you'll ask yourself 'wtf was I thinking trying to do waxups over summer?'.

P.S. Waxups are complete BS and serve no useful purpose *except* *maybe* help you figure out tooth anatomy.

I disagree. Waxing is useful for diagnostic wax-ups and illustrating esthetic results to patients who want veneers or other cosmetics. Not to mention, you can save yourself a few bucks doing your own waxing between patients if times are tight and you want to save on your lab bills. I know of dentists who have been practicing for 20+ years who still do their own waxing periodically or who started their careers doing a lot of their own lab work to make ends meet.

You can try and practice if you want, but honestly, without the guidance and instruction on what's important to learn from waxing from professors, spending money on wax up tools is not going to be worth it. Wax up is about getting hand skills (which you can also develop to some extent by playing video games, making models etc) and it's about learning dental anatomy. And unless you know what structures you're carving and why, you will only learn so much.

I think the key thing for a predent to learn from this thread is just how much dental students love complaining about their lives to anyone who will listen. That's an area that you can focus on now so that you aren't behind when you start school this summer. Make sure that everyone who knows you(or who doesn't) is fully aware of just how hard your life really is. And make sure to remind them frequently. In closing, my life is sooo much harder than yours.

While I tend to agree with how dental students love complaining about how much their lives suck, the people responding do have a point: waxing sucks, period.

Waxing is a pretty miserable activity, and the professors are overly critical which makes it that much worse. I squeaked by with a C in dental anatomy because of waxing, and was pretty much convinced by the course director that I would suck at operative, too. Needless to say, I'm acing the operative practicals and was 1 of 10 students in a class of 130 to get an A on our last one.

Not trying to brag, just trying to prove a point: just cause you suck at waxing doesn't mean you'll suck at clinical dentistry.

jb!:)

getting hand skills (which you can also develop to some extent by playing video games

I agree with everything else you said, but think that statement is a pretty funny. Pressing buttons on a controller and not nicking an adjacent tooth during a classII prep are totally different:laugh:

I agree with everything else you said, but think that statement is a pretty funny. Pressing buttons on a controller and not nicking an adjacent tooth during a classII prep are totally different:laugh:

thats certainly true (hell, i just made that mistake that a few hours ago in preclin :laugh:), but video games have been shown to improve hand-eye coordination, and fine motor control (even if it's not a huge difference). there are actual studies that were published on this, where they compared surgeons who played video games before surgery with those who didnt. actually i think i found out about those studies on sdn, so you could probably find them if you cared. i even thought about discussing it in my personal statement/ interview lol

i bet if you get started and wax the whole maxillary arch and bring them to your interview they will be impressed.....ha

thats certainly true (hell, i just made that mistake that a few hours ago in preclin :laugh:), but video games have been shown to improve hand-eye coordination, and fine motor control (even if it's not a huge difference). there are actual studies that were published on this, where they compared surgeons who played video games before surgery with those who didnt. actually i think i found out about those studies on sdn, so you could probably find them if you cared. i even thought about discussing it in my personal statement/ interview lol

hmmmmmm, when my wife gives me a hard time for playing games, I will have to tell her this... "Now look honey, do you want me to be a succesful dentist or not?"

I love waxing. It is very therapeutic. Hmmmm, brainless wax or study for oral path...:thumbup:

You can try and practice if you want, but honestly, without the guidance and instruction on what's important to learn from waxing from professors, spending money on wax up tools is not going to be worth it.

Just to be clear, this is why I don't recommend practicing waxing now. If your mom/dad/sibling/best friend is a dentist and can critique your work and show you how to get better then it wouldn't be a bad idea.