top 10 despite the age

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paiger Pie

Schizznitz McGee
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time reader first time poster here. Seeing as it's still relatively early in the admission process, I'm inclined to forsake the pre-med forum and direct my question to the current medschool students. As a non-traditionalmed student hell-bent on applying ad-nauseum in 2003, should I limit my applications to non-top 10 programs? Even with excellent grades, scores, activites, I've heard that the strength of an apllication can actually be de-valued due to age (stanford in particular). Have any of you experienced this phenomena? please descibe any related personal experience, anecdote, etc... I guess I'm looking for a little guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

forgive my stupidity here, but are you referring to applying for an internship and residency? If so, you might find better information on the Rotations and Residency Forums. I have always been under the impression that your clinical grades and USMLE's were what counted, not your age. I would also guess that there are some residency programs that also tend to like non-trads, just as there are some med schools that aren't all hung up on age (Tufts is one of them, with only 33% of my entering class coming straight out of undegrad and 10 30+ people). well, good luck to you in any case.

No, I'm one of those meddlesome kids (28yrs) who like to poke their wee heads over the fence and spy on the real med students in their own forum. I'm an undergrad, and I was referring to med school admission. I apologize for the obtuse nature of my question. Like I said, I'm new here. Won't happen again... I promise... no joking here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 26 and a first year. There are 2 people in my class that are over 50, and probably 10 between 25-40.

I'm not sure that it matters all that much, as long as you havn't delayed your app until now because you where sitting in jail for 6 years, or running from the coppers.

Good luck with your app. and don't sweat it. Apply to where you want regardless of rumours, you may be surprised. You only apply once (knock on wood), so make the most of it.

Actually, reverse what you said about Stanford -- they like older applicants. Gabe Garcia, the dean of admissions at Stanford, strongly believes that the success of a medical school graduate is most strongly correlated with how much life experience they had before they started med school (there's some study he always quotes when he says that, but I don't remember what it was).

If you really want to apply to a top school, and think that you might have a shot, don't let your age be the thing that keeps you from even trying. 28 isn't even old -- more than 15% of my 1st year class at Stanford was over the age of 30, and we had one classmate who started school at the age of 43. I was one of the young 'uns who went straight from undergrad to med school, and I was definitely in the minority of my class.

Hey Holmes,

I don't think that is true at all. Atleast not at UCSF. We have PLENTY of students over 25 and a handful in their thirties (I'm 28 years young myself). I would definitely not exclude 'top 10 schools' b/c of your age. I know a lot of people over 25 who were accepted to Yale, Stanford, and some others. I have heard that Wash U likes em' young, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a non-truth.

If you have the life experience, the motivation, the character, and the numbers...why sell yourself short?

Originally posted by TysonCook
I'm 26 and a first year. There are 2 people in my class that are over 50, and probably 10 between 25-40.

Where do you go to school, TysonCook? Awesome that there are two 50+.

ya, awesome that they will probably die before they pay off their med school loans. Shouldnt we set an upper limit so all that taxpayer money invested in them gets a greater return?

:D

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
ya, awesome that they will probably die before they pay off their med school loans. Shouldnt we set an upper limit so all that taxpayer money invested in them gets a greater return?

Education is wasted on the young. :D :laugh: ;)

Originally posted by cabruen
Education is wasted on the young. :D :laugh: ;)

;) :p

*you* know what I'm talking about.

Originally posted by souljah1
I have heard that Wash U likes em' young, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a non-truth.
It is a non-truth.

At Columbia, they are also pretty receptive to people who who have been out for a few years (I was out 4 yrs). [We have ~10% of our class who started their first year when they were 28+.]
Life experience counted a lot in the interviewing for me. Don't discount yourself just because you're older. I thought that excluding a couple of schools, I was very well received by the admissions people.

Good luck with it all.