Top 10 Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your top externship experiences? (Revised)

Members don't see this ad.

For what? OMS?

The top ones are the programs that YOU are personally interested in. The goal is two fold. One, for you to see the program first-hand, see how the residents interact, see what cases they do, etc. After all that maybe you'll find out you don't like the program, or that you like it more than you thought.

The second reason is to get some face time with the director, as well as the other residents.

(and of course, another reason is to determine if OMS (or whatever) is what you are really interested in, but there are more feasible ways of doing this, such as hanging out at your school's program, or spending time in several private offices)

For what? OMS?

The top ones are the programs that YOU are personally interested in. The goal is two fold. One, for you to see the program first-hand, see how the residents interact, see what cases they do, etc. After all that maybe you'll find out you don't like the program, or that you like it more than you thought.

The second reason is to get some face time with the director, as well as the other residents.

(and of course, another reason is to determine if OMS (or whatever) is what you are really interested in, but there are more feasible ways of doing this, such as hanging out at your school's program, or spending time in several private offices)

Good answer. I agree with him.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason, my earlier reply cannot be seen! So here I am posting again!:rolleyes:

Wondering if anyone had any experiences to share about pediatric residency externships?

For what? OMS?

This isn't necessarily the best piece of advice for OMS. Yes, you probably want to do at least 1 externship at a place you are probably putting at the top of your list. However, you want at least 1 externship of at least 2 weeks at one of the more hands-on programs that all the other programs will notice when you put them on your CV. OMS externships that will certainly be hands-on and likely to gain attention to your CV are: Parkland, LSU-Shreve, LSU-NO. Other good externships are probably OHSU, Louisville, Jacksonville. These externships will also give you a good idea of how an intense OMS residency will be structured. Hope this helps...

This isn't necessarily the best piece of advice for OMS. Yes, you probably want to do at least 1 externship at a place you are probably putting at the top of your list. However, you want at least 1 externship of at least 2 weeks at one of the more hands-on programs that all the other programs will notice when you put them on your CV. OMS externships that will certainly be hands-on and likely to gain attention to your CV are: Parkland, LSU-Shreve, LSU-NO. Other good externships are probably OHSU, Louisville, Jacksonville. These externships will also give you a good idea of how an intense OMS residency will be structured. Hope this helps...

I agree with Tigger. All of the OMFS applicants (that matched) at our school this year can attest to this. One of our attendings here told me that he specifically looks for some of these aforementioned externships (Parkland and the LSU's) on your CV when deciding who to interview. I did not apply to OMFS, so I do not know how true this is. This is just through my classmates and faculty.