Top 10 General Surgery Residencies Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*bump* for the 2017-2018 cycle!
Any more fresh opinions about programs? Not necessarily the "top 10" or whatever that means but just share your thoughts on programs, the more the merrier :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would be intrigued to learn about Baylor, Duke, UTSW, UChicago but any program would be great!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be interested in hearing peoples input from a couple of programs as well, namely:
Stanford
Ocshner
UofMiami
UofF-Jacksonville
USC-greenville
UTSW
Baylor-Dallas
Methodist-Dallas
Scott & White
UTHSCSA
UT Houston

Thanks for any replies, even if only for one of the schools. A lot of the previous posts about these schools are pretty dated now (except for maybe UTSW & Baylor) and so it would be nice to hear from anyone who has personal experience recently with these programs!

This is a dumb thread. I'll bite and share based on my and my closer friends' interview opinions as well as attending opinions. Because ranks are submitted and I have nothing to do.

West: UCSF, Stanford, Colorado, OHSU (big surprise to many of us...but we should have known better)
Midwest: Wisconsin, Northwestern, UChicago, Michigan, WashU (I hated St. Louis)
East: Hopkins, MGH, Brigham, NYU, Cornell. Columbia and Pitt seemed weak on interview day. No amount of Dr. Oz will convince me otherwise (biggest eye roll of the season).
South: Duke, UNC, Emory, UAB, Vandy, UTSW. Baylor seemed weak on interview day

I have talked to a bajillion surgeons on my journey through interview season and this is what they all consider to be "top tier" programs. Each has its own unique set of pros and cons. Very few if any are perfect. You just have to pick which cons you can live with.

Last edited:
I love this time capsule of a thread, especially as it shows the "rankings" are not set in stone by any means. Here is the post-COVID bump. The current doximity rankings for surgery - I'm curious what the seasoned posters think of this.

1. MGH
2. Hopkins
3. Michigan
4. UCSF
5. WashU
6. Brigham
7. Penn
8. Duke
9. Vandy
10. UWashington

____

11. UTSW
12. Stanford
13. Cornell
14. Columbia
15. Emory
16. Mayo
17. UCLA
18. CCF
19. UPMC
20. NYU
21. Alabama
22. OSU
23. Wisconsin
24. Northwestern
25. OHSU
26. UFlorida
27. UVa
28. USC
29. Chicago
30. Sinai

NYP-Queens and NYP-Brooklyn methodist were the only community programs in the top 50 or so.

Reactions: 1 user
Successfully went through the surgery match this year (thankfully) - I'll chime in based on programs that seemed great on the (virtual) interview day and speaking with residents. I mostly applied up and down the east coast.

Positive:
-Pitt: Good culture, all around very strong clinically and academically
-Penn: All around incredible stuff
-Rutgers NJMS: Seems like a great operative experience + new St. Barnabas merger seems very beneficial. Strong trauma, transplant
-Mount Sinai: Residents seemed pretty enthusiastic across the board + merging with the St. Lukes program
-Jefferson: 6 year with guaranteed funding; culture seemed great, solid operative experience, strong HPB
-Emory: Pretty strong clinical experience, amazing research opportunities
-Georgetown: Merger with WHC seems very beneficial; relatively weak for home-research; strong transplant
-Cincinnati: really sold themselves on interview day

Meh:
-NYU: on paper it seems like a great program, but everyone seemed kind of cold and overworked. Straight lied about RTM to another applicant.
-Temple: good trauma experience but overall seemed like they barely hit operative numbers
-Rochester: on paper seems very solid but dunno, maybe just not my vibe
-Rutgers RWJ: residents were very nice but gotta drive an hour away for 2 of the 3 hospitals

Negative:
-Cornell: really cold, old-school vibe. Residents seemed to be aware that they barely operate. Research opps seemed very impressive though.
-Hofstra/NS-LIJ: Strong hospital system but residents seemed overworked and honestly unhappy. 1-2 residents quit every year.
-Brigham: yes it's Harvard but got real malignant vibes; residents regularly breaking 80 hours etc.

DNR:
-MGH - cuz I got no interview

Ultimately though all seemed like they trained you well enough - so I ranked them all; only considered DNR'ing Hofstra but didn't want to take any chances during Covid year lol...

Last edited: