Top 10 Schools that Put Black URMs into Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those URM high school students that are contemplating which college to apply to, you should really take at a look at the schools below. It is very important as a URM in undergrad to go to a nurturing environment. An environment where the faculty aren't just interested in their research, but your future.

#1- Xavier University (HBCU) = 94 students

#2- Spelman College (HBCU)= 38 students

#3- Harvard University= 37 students

#4 & #5- Howard University/Morehouse College= 33 students

#6- University of Maryland College Park= 24 students

#7- Johns Hopkins University= 20 students

#8- UCLA= 17 students

#9 & #10- UNC Chapel Hill/ University of Virginia= 16 students
Source= http://www.diversityweb.org/Digest/vol8no2/gasman.cfm

To read more about the success that Xavier has had, check out: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0DXK/is_11_18/ai_77133973.

Members don't see this ad.

94 in one year is amazing. Wow...my school probably has not had 94 blacks matriculate in med school within the last 10 years. I wish I had known more about these rankings before I started undergrad.

hmm. i think one should look at percentages of blacks who apply and then get in. I know my school only had about 80 blacks per class, and at max, about 40% are pre-med or something of the sort.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is great information, but what about those of us whom have already graduated or already enrolled at an undergraduate institution?

Furthermore, I would like to see which undergraduate institutions that have a fair about of pre-medical URMs, but do not churn out many URM medical school students.

There's another thread right below this one that shows the top medical schools graduating URM students.

As for your second question, that would be hard to answer. And I'm pretty sure there isn't adequate data to really post anything. I think that generally though, there won't really be a trend because most majority schools dont' have any real significant # of URM (in medicine) students, so the subset of those students that are premed, and that actually make it into medical, and that actually graduate would be even smaller. It might be possible to find out though what % of Howard undergrads get into their medical school. Hope this helped!

Reactions: 1 user
There's another thread right below this one that shows the top medical schools graduating URM students.

As for your second question, that would be hard to answer. And I'm pretty sure there isn't adequate data to really post anything. I think that generally though, there won't really be a trend because most majority schools dont' have any real significant # of URM (in medicine) students, so the subset of those students that are premed, and that actually make it into medical, and that actually graduate would be even smaller. It might be possible to find out though what % of Howard undergrads get into their medical school. Hope this helped!

I agree with you that there is not much data tracking pre-med URMs that go to majority institutions, but I disagree when you say the # of URM students at these schools are insignificant. Some undergrads with 30K students boast large numbers of URMs; sometimes as larger than a HBCU. Furthermore, these schools also have a signifcant number of premed students. The problem is that many do not end up matriculating into med school.

I'm a UNC grad and it was a fabulous experience. Highly recommended. Made the list, too!

This is a shameless plug, but in 2001 or something like that, my undergrad, Oakwood College was ranked #7. We've sinced dropped down.

This is a shameless plug, but in 2001 or something like that, my undergrad, Oakwood College was ranked #7. We've sinced dropped down.
YEAH BABY!!!! LETS GO OC !!!!! Plug away DoctaJay, plug away!!! Actually we're still doing pretty good as far as the percent of our applicants getting into Med school, dental school, and grad school.

here is a longer list by AAMC for 2006. I remeber that a couple CUNY schools also do well in this category.

Oakwood is on this list though. :D

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/mblack.htm
Thanks for the rep HunterGatherer. I actually just wanted to say for the record that Oakwood has two accepted students into Mayo Medical School this year! So to all you highschoolers who are being drawn to Xavier...come to us :) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Aww maaan...Univ of Mich didn't even make the list...oh well...I still bleed MAIZE AND BLUE!!! :soexcited:

Aww maaan...Univ of Mich didn't even make the list...oh well...I still bleed MAIZE AND BLUE!!! :soexcited:

lol. Man, this list is old. I know Duke is like a top 5 for sending Blacks to med school. I think around 45 Black Dukies apply to med school every year...saw it recently on some chart only from the AAMC

lol. Man, this list is old. I know Duke is like a top 5 for sending Blacks to med school. I think around 45 Black Dukies apply to med school every year...saw it recently on some chart only from the AAMC

Here's the data from AAMC for 2007 (the latest year that data is available).
Capture2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Woot-woot! BlaqChyna, seems like UofM didn't do too shabby :) Even more reason to be proud!

I would just like to acknowledge that my alma mater Oakwood College (now University) is #8!!! And our school is only like 1,700 big. If you like the south, gospel music,a christian atmosphere,and biology there is no other school to go to. Okay, I am done with my plug now :).

this thread is so last decade :p

For those URM high school students that are contemplating which college to apply to, you should really take at a look at the schools below. It is very important as a URM in undergrad to go to a nurturing environment. An environment where the faculty aren't just interested in their research, but your future.

#1- Xavier University (HBCU) = 94 students

#2- Spelman College (HBCU)= 38 students

#3- Harvard University= 37 students

#4 & #5- Howard University/Morehouse College= 33 students

#6- University of Maryland College Park= 24 students

#7- Johns Hopkins University= 20 students

#8- UCLA= 17 students

#9 & #10- UNC Chapel Hill/ University of Virginia= 16 students
Source= http://www.diversityweb.org/Digest/vol8no2/gasman.cfm

To read more about the success that Xavier has had, check out: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0DXK/is_11_18/ai_77133973.

I'm glad to see my Alma Mata is amongst the top 10 :thumbup:

Is there a list based on percentages of successful applicants?

I would just like to acknowledge that my alma mater Oakwood College (now University) is #8!!! And our school is only like 1,700 big. If you like the south, gospel music,a christian atmosphere,and biology there is no other school to go to. Okay, I am done with my plug now :).

Haha. I have a friend who goes there although I'll admit I don't know much about the place. Wow. It did really well for such a small school!

Hopefully morehouse will step it up real soon

hmm. i think one should look at percentages of blacks who apply and then get in. I know my school only had about 80 blacks per class, and at max, about 40% are pre-med or something of the sort.
:thumbup: