You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Top 3 "must haves" for your house
Started by confettiflyer
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
1. Indoor plumbing and central air
2. Little or no asbestos
3. Attached garage
2. Little or no asbestos
3. Attached garage
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Minimal Western exposure. Too hot in Florida.
2. Non-potable water irrigation system. Otherwise you will pay $200+ on your water meter.
3. Ethernet cables and outlets in the walls. My xfinity wifi doesn't work when my microwave is running.
2. Non-potable water irrigation system. Otherwise you will pay $200+ on your water meter.
3. Ethernet cables and outlets in the walls. My xfinity wifi doesn't work when my microwave is running.
A purchase price less than twice my annual salary.
1.5 bathrooms
Enough closets so we don't need dressers in the master
Fenced in yard
Enough closets so we don't need dressers in the master
Fenced in yard
Oh and a gas cooktop. I won't even look at houses with electric
Solar panels can be someone's number 1 request for a house... Odd He probably drives a VW [emoji57]
1. Location! Location! Location! Ex: Situated behind a sorority house
2. A good view. Ex: Clear and unobstructed view of the swimming pool of the sorority house
3. Good local climates. Ex: It’s hard to… how do you say, “birdwatch” with a binocular out your back window when it’s raining/snowing outside 9 months of the year.
YMMV. However, if you’re not an avid bird watcher or if it’s simply not the way you swing, then perhaps a being behind a fraternity house would better suit you. Look, the point is… whatever your interests may be, a good location, an unobstructed view, and good local climates are key things to consider when making a home purchase. Happy huntin’!
2. A good view. Ex: Clear and unobstructed view of the swimming pool of the sorority house
3. Good local climates. Ex: It’s hard to… how do you say, “birdwatch” with a binocular out your back window when it’s raining/snowing outside 9 months of the year.
YMMV. However, if you’re not an avid bird watcher or if it’s simply not the way you swing, then perhaps a being behind a fraternity house would better suit you. Look, the point is… whatever your interests may be, a good location, an unobstructed view, and good local climates are key things to consider when making a home purchase. Happy huntin’!
D
deleted205891
A purchase price less than twice my annual salary.
Wish that were possible here in the Bay...My goal is less than 4 times, and even that will probably only get me a 2BR condo.
1 my man cave
2 my garage
3 hopefully a 180 yard par 3/driving range
2 my garage
3 hopefully a 180 yard par 3/driving range
Solar panels can be someone's number 1 request for a house... Odd He probably drives a VW [emoji57]
Haha, those weren't in order. I'm more interested in solar + in-home battery for off-the-grid living. I'd probably use a diesel generator as backup.
If it weren't such a pain I'd build a rain collection system for water also (not like we have any rain anyway).
I'm a closet survivalist, what can I say?
F*ck trees and environmental BS!
1. Location! Location! Location! Ex: Situated behind a sorority house
2. A good view. Ex: Clear and unobstructed view of the swimming pool of the sorority house
3. Good local climates. Ex: It’s hard to… how do you say, “birdwatch” with a binocular out your back window when it’s raining/snowing outside 9 months of the year.
YMMV. However, if you’re not an avid bird watcher or if it’s simply not the way you swing, then perhaps a being behind a fraternity house would better suit you. Look, the point is… whatever your interests may be, a good location, an unobstructed view, and good local climates are key things to consider when making a home purchase. Happy huntin’!
George is that you?
1) have to agree it needs a man-cave.
2) a big bed, yeah baby!
3) a small yard. (you don't want to spend an hour mowing the lawn during summer in Texas)
2) a big bed, yeah baby!
3) a small yard. (you don't want to spend an hour mowing the lawn during summer in Texas)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Never understood why someone wants to pay 1/3-1/2 of their after tax money into a house.
I bought a 3/2 1200 sqft bungalo in walking distance to shops/restaurants/grocery store. Honestly all I care about is hardwood floors and walkability in the neighborhood. Schools are good too.
My mortgage+taxes is only 20% of my take-home. It's completely enough.
(I do understand this isn't possible in the People's Republic of California)
I bought a 3/2 1200 sqft bungalo in walking distance to shops/restaurants/grocery store. Honestly all I care about is hardwood floors and walkability in the neighborhood. Schools are good too.
My mortgage+taxes is only 20% of my take-home. It's completely enough.
(I do understand this isn't possible in the People's Republic of California)
I'll focus on the three things I don't have right now that I wish I did:
- Location within three blocks or half a mile of public transportation
- Location within 30 minutes of an airport with commercial air service
- Location near a community pool and recreation area
To get all of those things, I'd have to give up a lot of the other things I enjoy about my current house.
Probably staying put.
- Location within three blocks or half a mile of public transportation
- Location within 30 minutes of an airport with commercial air service
- Location near a community pool and recreation area
To get all of those things, I'd have to give up a lot of the other things I enjoy about my current house.
Probably staying put.
Never understood why someone wants to pay 1/3-1/2 of their after tax money into a house.
I bought a 3/2 1200 sqft bungalo in walking distance to shops/restaurants/grocery store. Honestly all I care about is hardwood floors and walkability in the neighborhood. Schools are good too.
My mortgage+taxes is only 20% of my take-home. It's completely enough.
(I do understand this isn't possible in the People's Republic of California)
Do you mind going a little bit into the benefits of hardwood floors?
They just look nice.Do you mind going a little bit into the benefits of hardwood floors?
Carpets are alleged magnets. Dander, dust mites etc. and they are easier to clean and don't stain
So most of us are homeowners/property owners or will eventually be one, what are your top 3 "must haves" in your home?
My answer:
1) Solar panels
Has it gotten to the point that solar panels are cost-effective? My dad told me that to get solar panels for the house (family lives in CA), they would need around $10,000. This was maybe 2-3 years ago or so. I'm definitely considering the option if they do get to a reasonable price in the future though...
Do you mind going a little bit into the benefits of hardwood floors?
Hardwood floors not only look nice, but they also stay that way. When carpet is dingy, there is only so much cleaning you can do, with hardwood, your floor is easy to clean and if they do get scratches/scuffs, can be resurfaced several times. They also tend to add a lot of value to your home vs cost (depending on market).
Hardwood floors not only look nice, but they also stay that way. When carpet is dingy, there is only so much cleaning you can do, with hardwood, your floor is easy to clean and if they do get scratches/scuffs, can be resurfaced several times. They also tend to add a lot of value to your home vs cost (depending on market).
Thank you for the explanation.
Carpets are alleged magnets. Dander, dust mites etc. and they are easier to clean and don't stain
Thanks!
Has it gotten to the point that solar panels are cost-effective? My dad told me that to get solar panels for the house (family lives in CA), they would need around $10,000. This was maybe 2-3 years ago or so. I'm definitely considering the option if they do get to a reasonable price in the future though...
The business model has completely changed in the last three years; the major players install for free now, but lock you into 20-year contracts with escalating annual rates.
Short term: definitely cheaper than conventional electric.
Long term: ???
2 car attached garage
big ass walk in closet for the misses
jacuzzi tub for 3 with a TV to watch (and bonus points if you can have a dorm fridge that holds a case of beer near)
big ass walk in closet for the misses
jacuzzi tub for 3 with a TV to watch (and bonus points if you can have a dorm fridge that holds a case of beer near)
Has it gotten to the point that solar panels are cost-effective? My dad told me that to get solar panels for the house (family lives in CA), they would need around $10,000. This was maybe 2-3 years ago or so. I'm definitely considering the option if they do get to a reasonable price in the future though...
I can't speak for CA, but I looked into it less than a year ago and the short answer was no, it was not anywhere near cost effective. I was interested to see what would happen when the Tesla car company gets into the home battery market when I looked into that though.
Has it gotten to the point that solar panels are cost-effective? My dad told me that to get solar panels for the house (family lives in CA), they would need around $10,000. This was maybe 2-3 years ago or so. I'm definitely considering the option if they do get to a reasonable price in the future though...
Depends if net metering is still available. My argument here in CA is that net metering is in effect and will be in effect for anyone who installs before 12/31/2016 for 20 years. Also, with federal tax credits of 30% that goes away at the same time, it's definitely cost-effective now (depending on your usage).
Come 2017, it might not be as cost-effective, but I'm not taking into account any drops in panel/installation prices.
$10k seems cheap -- it's usually more to retrofit/install on an older home (new homes....I've seen net cost after tax rebates go down to $3-6k, no brainer). Everyone needs to do the calculation though, there's a lot of variables on the individual utility level, and in some cases solar doesn't make any sense.
Are attached garages not standard in most parts of the country?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
in the south there are a lot of nice houses that only have a 1 or 2 car attached - by home in the midwest any average house had a 3 carAre attached garages not standard in most parts of the country?
Seems to be in the south and the midwest...Are attached garages not standard in most parts of the country?
Sprinkler system
Sprinkler system
That's building code here, every new house I walk into has them. Did that get updated nationwide, does anyone know?
I wish this system existed where fire ******ant foam would shoot out your roof when wildfires are nearby, thus coating your house in said foam.
I agree that here everyone has a 2-3 car garage attached, central heat/air, and most have a fireplace that's never used.
I live in a location where spring time storms can get fierce...I wonder how solar panels stand up to hail storms?
My 3 most prized aspects of my house are:
1. Huge master suite
2. Hardwood floors
3. Tiny yard (with no pool)
Gas stove gets an honorable mention; I wouldn't go back to electric
I live in a location where spring time storms can get fierce...I wonder how solar panels stand up to hail storms?
My 3 most prized aspects of my house are:
1. Huge master suite
2. Hardwood floors
3. Tiny yard (with no pool)
Gas stove gets an honorable mention; I wouldn't go back to electric
No, sprinkler system to water lawnThat's building code here, every new house I walk into has them. Did that get updated nationwide, does anyone know?
I wish this system existed where fire ******ant foam would shoot out your roof when wildfires are nearby, thus coating your house in said foam.
No, sprinkler system to water lawn
What the hell is a lawn?
/sarcasm
The thing I don't water so I don't have to mow it as much. I know everyone has their thrills but a perfect green lawn will never be one of mine
The thing I don't water so I don't have to mow it as much. I know everyone has their thrills but a perfect green lawn will never be one of mine
Same. I'm all about the desertscape...or heck even artificial turf, the new stuff looks good.
1. Location close to where I work, commuting nearly an hour plus everyday made me realize how much commuting drags on your life and eats up your free time.
2. Techy things (good computer, TV, electronics, etc).
3. Modern style home with all the amenities.
2. Techy things (good computer, TV, electronics, etc).
3. Modern style home with all the amenities.
cocaine
stripers
donuts
stripers
donuts
Large walk-in shower
King bed
Garage/workshop/hobby room
King bed
Garage/workshop/hobby room
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last edited:
1) no neighbors in sight...privacy privacy privacy
2) very spacious rooms w/lots of natural light
3) inground heated pool... no more lap swimming with a million other people at inconvenient times
2) very spacious rooms w/lots of natural light
3) inground heated pool... no more lap swimming with a million other people at inconvenient times
1) Pool (don't have yet) and attached patio
2) Man Cave
3) Sprinkler System (don't have yet)
2) Man Cave
3) Sprinkler System (don't have yet)
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 2K