10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2004
Visit site
Status
I went and tallied this for the results shown on their websites for 2004, so we can see the numbers versus everyone stating their rumors, opinions:

SGU
202 (133+69) Internal Medicine + Family Practice [46.5%]
70 Pediatrics [16.1%]
41 Surgery [9.4%]
35 Anesthesiology [8.1%]
30 Emergency Medicine [6.9%]
18 OB/gyn [4.1%]
13 Psychiatry
8 Rehab
6 Pathology
6 Neuro
5 Radio
---
434 Total

46.5% IM/FP | 53.5% Other

ROSS
94 (50+44) Internal Medicine + Family Practice [65.7%]
12 OB/gyn [8.4%]
10 Pediatrics [7.0%]
9 Surgery [6.3%]
6 Psychiatry [4.1%]
5 Emergency Medicine
3 Anesthesiology
3 Rehab
1 Neuro
----
143 Total

65.7% IM/FP | 34.3% Other

AUC
100 (44+56) Internal Medicine + Family Practice [61.7%]
20 Surgery [12.3%]
11 Pediatrics [6.8%]
11 Psychiatry (6.8%]
5 Anesthesiology [3.1%]
5 Emergency Medicine
5 OB/gyn
1 Rehab
1 Pathology
1 Neuro
2 Radio
---
162 Total

61.7% IM/FP | 38.3% Other

I'm sure people will have things to say (Disclaimer: I'm an undergrad in California and haven't applied to any med schools yet; for SGU I had to tally for each specialty so I can be wrong a couple numbers here and there)

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
ssingh0 said:
I'm sure people will have things to say (Disclaimer: I'm an undergrad in California and haven't applied to any med schools yet; for SGU I had to tally for each specialty so I can be wrong a couple numbers here and there)
Well, first off... nice effort! :) I'm sure that was a lot of work and many people will appreciate what you did.

The only caveat I would add is that, going to Ross, I know that reporting to the school where you get accepted to your residency is not mandatory thing. I know of many people last year who got into programs that do not show up on that list. One, in fact, got med-peds.

So, while I think this gives a nice general consensus about where you're likely to end up, I wouldn't put 100% creedence in the numbers you got. Likewise, it's equally important to look at where those appointments were (i.e., rural vs. community vs. university).

Still, nice job!

-Skip

cutslikeaknife

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
Status
Ditto what Skip says for not having mandatory residency reporting for SGU as well.
I know of a few people not listed who matched surg, etc, so the numbers are not complete...

tRmedic21

useless...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
flindophile said:
The big question is whether the incremental gain (0.24 to 0.34) is worth the incremental cost of SGU tuition.
Well, with AUC's tuition now over $30k per calendar year, the difference may not be all that great. I haven't looked at SGU's tuition in a long time, since I ruled them out of my list very early in the sleection process. Their requirement of a BS would have cost me another year of waiting, in which time I could have easily (I think) gotten into a US school.

brendang

aka the retina geek
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2003
Southern Louisiana
Visit site
Status
you guys are such geeks... if you spent as much time studying for the boards, doing research/getting published and schmoozing with the big wigs in your desired fields, you'd have no problems getting exactly what you want... honestly though, i just finished at saba and when i started there, their residency placement was rather humble... check out the www.saba.edu website in a month and you're going to absolutely freak out when you see some of the competitive residencies my friends are getting (rad onc, radiology, ophtho, EM, and bucket loads of gas!)

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
brendang said:
you guys are such geeks... if you spent as much time studying for the boards, doing research/getting published and schmoozing with the big wigs in your desired fields, you'd have no problems getting exactly what you want...
Why hate? None of these things you list are mutually exclusive.

brendang said:
honestly though, i just finished at saba and when i started there, their residency placement was rather humble... check out the www.saba.edu website in a month and you're going to absolutely freak out when you see some of the competitive residencies my friends are getting (rad onc, radiology, ophtho, EM, and bucket loads of gas!)
You have a crystal ball? Or, do you know someone at the NRMP? :laugh:

-Skip

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Skin City
Status
Attending Physician
brendang said:
you guys are such geeks... if you spent as much time studying for the boards, doing research/getting published and schmoozing with the big wigs in your desired fields, you'd have no problems getting exactly what you want... honestly though, i just finished at saba and when i started there, their residency placement was rather humble... check out the www.saba.edu website in a month and you're going to absolutely freak out when you see some of the competitive residencies my friends are getting (rad onc, radiology, ophtho, EM, and bucket loads of gas!)
Yes, I also find it somewhat curious that you can know where Saba grads are getting residences, almost two weeks before the Match. How does that work, exactly? Perhaps Carib. grads get match-results before anyone else? :laugh:

NREMTP

Is Chillin
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Here
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
brendang said:

don't know what he was talking about because i just checked the website and all i saw was primary care residencies. :confused:

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
brendang said:
check it again. em, ophtho, neurosurgery, anesthesia, pm&r, psych...
Yeah, but still mostly IM and FP, just like all the other Carib schools. :)

-Skip

(RUSM soon-to-be graduate going to prelim then university-based Anesthesiology in July 2006.)

stephew

SDN Super Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2001
Boston
travel.to
Status
i should add sgu is famously terrible at getting all the specialties folks go into. I know that i and one of my peers always nag them about the fact that often they only have the PGY1 internship year and not the specialty (residency) the grad goes into. i dont know if this is a case with ross auc or others.
s

brendang

aka the retina geek
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2003
Southern Louisiana
Visit site
Status
Skip Intro said:
Yeah, but still mostly IM and FP, just like all the other Carib schools. :)

-Skip

(RUSM soon-to-be graduate going to prelim then university-based Anesthesiology in July 2006.)
All I know is that my closest 4 friends are the one's going into ER, anesthesia and radiology... The rest are still decent. And when you consider how small Saba is compared to Ross, the numbers/percentages are relatively similar...

(Saba graduate going to prelim then university-based Ophthalmology, in case it mattered to you)

Lotsof77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
Status
Lets not forget that some people just CHOOSE to go into primary care, be it the Caribb. or US allo.

However . . .

I want to point out a logical gap on Saba's Match List 2004. I'm counting something between 70-80 matches in '04. However, the average class size at Saba is 50. Considering that overall attrition at Saba is 4%, I'm assuming that approx. 144 graduate from Saba each year. There is a big difference between 144 graduates and 70-80 matches. Are Saba graduates NOT REQUIRED to report where they match? (So much for school support) Someone want to elaborate?

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
Just FYI too...

Last year, Ross had not three, but at least 10 graduates go into anesthesiology. The top of the list is only additional programs where people did not want their name to be listed. If you actually hit Ctrl+F for a search, type in the specialty, and then click find, you'll see that there are far more listed below in the names.

I know this year there's about 25 of us who got anesthesiology spots. Now, whether or not all of those names will make the list remains to be seen.

Just reviewed this thread and observed this problem with your tabulation as a result of a "discussion" on another thread.

-Skip

skeezixdoc

medix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2005
Status
You guys need to go look at US allopathic school's lists. Most are Internal Medicine, by a far, far, far, margin. The top 3 caribbean schools mimic the US schools in what type of specialty training people go into. The only difference may be the top ultra-specialty groups, which only make up a small % of US grad residencies, and a really, really small % of Carib grad spots.

I've said this a million times: The top 3 Carib. schools are extensions of US schools. There would be no need for Caribbean schools if US schools accepted the number of students needed to meet the required physician quota. We add almost another 800 doctors each year. What do you think happens, the US schools have some magic way to get only, and EXACTLY, those that are supposed to be practicing medicine? It's an absurd proposal.

When I applied there were around 30,000 applicants for approx. 17,000 spots. Yeah, maybe the first 5,000 are 3.7-4.0 students with 33-37 MCATS, but the next 12,000 are no different than the following 5,000 after that. My year Howard Univ. had an avg entering gpa of 2.7 and MCAT of 26. SUNY Downstate had a 3.2 gpa and 29 MCAT. Cornell had a 3.6 avg and 30 MCAT avg (10's all across, I'm not kidding). I'd be willing to bet 75%-80% of my class was in the range of one of those.

The only difference between the 12,000 that got in towards the end, and the 800 or so of us out of the next 5,000 who took a chance on going out of country is a matter of luck, coincidence, timing, or some other unqualifiable thing. It is absolutely nothing more. And it's probably 50% of those first 5,000 who are the snotty, judgmental, morons who look down on IMG's and try to keep the 'country club' free of "undesirables". But it's probably the 20% of our 800 that are the snotty, chip on the shoulder, bitter morons who make people think IMG's are sub-standard.

And finally, the majority of new doctors ( IMG's and US grads) are those who are mature, went into medicine for the right reason, and don't give a rat's ass where you went to school or did your residency. My class had a great year in the match. Most of us are doing exactly what we set out to do. The only difference between us and a US grad is what's in our, and their, imagination.

Lotsof77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2004
Status
Nice post, man. That says it all.

Just want to add that the situation is even more dire in Canada:

If you have either <3.45 cum GPA or MCATS <10 each section, you can forget about applying Canadian schools. Plus, there is ONLY ONE SCHOOL IN ALL OF CANADA that will accept you if you have GPA between 3.45 and 3.60, and that is McMasters U. Plus ONLY A HANDFUL OF PEOPLE out of 100 matriculants to that school will have 3.45<=GPA<=3.60.

To aggravate the situation, if you HAVE LESS THAN 3.85 GPA, you can forget about applying to schools in other provinces besides the one you reside in. PLUS THESE OUT-OF-PROVINCE 3.85-4.0 GPAers MAKE UP NO MORE THAN ~15 SPOTS of AN ENTERING CLASS OF <100.

SO FACTOR IN THAT THERE ARE ONLY ~15 MED. SCHOOLS IN ALL OF CANADA, YOU CAN SEE WHY CANADIAN UNDERGRADS ARE ESPECIALLY SCREWED.