"Top choice" interview scheduling: First or last?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amakhosidlo

Accepted
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just found out I've gotten an interview at my top choice, but the date I've been assigned isn't workable. The alternates they have available are either next week:)scared:) or a week after the original date, which would be the first week in November. If I picked next week, I'd get in on the first week of interviews at the school, but it'd also be my first interview. If I pick the other date, I'll have already attended a number of interviews, but it'll be their 4th week conducting interviews.

Is there any significant advantage to getting in on the first or second day of interviews of the season vs. waiting 3 weeks? Or would I be better off waiting until I have a few under my belt?

Members don't see this ad.

schedule it after oct 15th so you get some feedback from the places you've already interviewed :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just found out I've gotten an interview at my top choice, but the date I've been assigned isn't workable. The alternates they have available are either next week:)scared:) or a week after the original date, which would be the first week in November. If I picked next week, I'd get in on the first week of interviews at the school, but it'd also be my first interview. If I pick the other date, I'll have already attended a number of interviews, but it'll be their 4th week conducting interviews.

Is there any significant advantage to getting in on the first or second day of interviews of the season vs. waiting 3 weeks? Or would I be better off waiting until I have a few under my belt?

Unless you know with enough certainty that you have excellent interview skills, you should hold the top choice until you've got some experience.

It may depend somewhat on what school you're talking about, but some people have already done interviews so going to your top choice as your first one would probably put you at more of a disadvantage than a November interview. I mean, it's not like it's February where some schools have interviews for hold spots only.

schedule it after oct 15th so you get some feedback from the places you've already interviewed :)

I didn't know you could get interview feedback that quickly... is it school-dependent?

I'd do it ASAP, but that's just me. The sooner you do it the sooner you hear back and the more money you might save.

I'd do it ASAP, but that's just me. The sooner you do it the sooner you hear back and the more money you might save.

Yeah I hadn't thought of that... but I'd only do that if I was extremely confident in my interviewing skills... I'm not.:(

Why would this matter if it is the OPs top choice?

I can see why it would matter. If you got feedback, then maybe you could make adjustments to interview better. However, I had no idea that schools could give you feedback right away after their decision. I thought you had to wait until summer.

I can see why it would matter. If you got feedback, then maybe you could make adjustments to interview better. However, I had no idea that schools could give you feedback right away after their decision. I thought you had to wait until summer.

Yeah, see that's the thing. If I scheduled next week it'd be my first med. school interview...ever. I'm pretty sure I'd be a nervous wreck. I have what I thought would be my first already scheduled for that week, then 3 more the week after with a mock interview in between to get feedback and make any necessary adjustments. If I chose the later date it would be the week after that.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

too much strategy **** going on here. real interviews shouldn't be practice runs. bang out a couple of mock interviews and then just finish it up.

Yeah, see that's the thing. If I scheduled next week it'd be my first med. school interview...ever. I'm pretty sure I'd be a nervous wreck. I have what I thought would be my first already scheduled for that week, then 3 more the week after with a mock interview in between to get feedback and make any necessary adjustments. If I chose the later date it would be the week after that.

Definitely schedule it for November. I did that with all of my interviews, such that by the time that I got to my top choices (starting in about two weeks) I'll already have interviewed 6 places. You'll just be better at knowing what to expect and having well prepared/thought out responses to answer common question. I wouldn't say I was nervous the first time, but I definitely have become way more confident and verbose since then. And believe me, it's better to practice on a school you care less about getting into than your top choice.

Good luck!

it should be one of the first, but not the first.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

too much strategy **** going on here. real interviews shouldn't be practice runs. bang out a couple of mock interviews and then just finish it up.

this.

i went to a school i loved first, and it was awesome. i would highly recommend doing them ASAP.

Same. I did mine as early as I could for my top-choice school. The earlier the better, IMO.