Top Cities for Neurology Residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronimal

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking for prospective neurology programs to apply to soon. I was wondering which cities harbored the best neurology programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Its difficult to answer your question without more detail into what you're looking for. Are you simply looking for a great city with an amazing program (San Francisco)? Or a city with a strong environment of training programs (New York or Boston)? In answer to the later, as in "which major citites have the largest collection of top or excellent neurology residencies?":

I'd say a toss up between NY and Boston. Although Boston has Partners, I would give the edge to NY having 4-5 excellent neurology residencies.

New York (Columbia, Mount Sinai Icahn, NYU, Cornell, Montefiore)
Boston (Partners, BIDMC, Tufts, BU)

LA (UCLA, USC, Kaiser, Cedars)
Philadelphia (UPenn, Jeff, Drex, Temple)
SF (UCSF)
Cleveland (CCF, Case)
Chicago (Rush, U Chicago, Northwestern)
Houston (UT Houston, Baylor)
Atlanta (Emory)
Miami (U Miami)
Seattle (U Wash)
Dallas (UTSW)

That's really as far as I can go before just breaking down into a top program list (Ann Arbor, Baltimore, Rochester...)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Its difficult to answer your question without more detail into what you're looking for. Are you simply looking for a great city with an amazing program (San Francisco)? Or a city with a strong environment of training programs (New York or Boston)? In answer to the later, as in "which major citites have the largest collection of top or excellent neurology residencies?":

I'd say a toss up between NY and Boston. Although Boston has Partners, I would give the edge to NY having 4-5 excellent neurology residencies.

New York (Columbia, Mount Sinai Icahn, NYU, Cornell, Montefiore)
Boston (Partners, BIDMC, Tufts, BU)

LA (UCLA, USC, Kaiser, Cedars)
Philadelphia (UPenn, Jeff, Drex, Temple)
SF (UCSF)
Cleveland (CCF, Case)
Chicago (Rush, U Chicago, Northwestern)
Houston (UT Houston, Baylor)
Atlanta (Emory)
Miami (U Miami)
Seattle (U Wash)
Dallas (UTSW)

That's really as far as I can go before just breaking down into a top program list (Ann Arbor, Baltimore, Rochester...)
What would you say the top programs for neurology are? in general?

There are no cities that have multiple elite neurology residencies. Those are few and far between. The closest to that would be Boston (Partners is great, BIDMC is good but not great), NYC (Columbia is great but toxic, Cornell and NYU are good), and SF (UCSF is probably the best program in the country, Stanford is also very good). Other top level neurology residencies are found all over and many in places a lot of people don't want to live, like Philly (Penn), St Louis (Wash U), and rural Minnesota (Mayo).

If you are asking for the reason that many of us ask this question, because you need to identify a couple of metro areas with a lot of programs to couples match, then you will inevitably need to weigh the value of your couples match situation against the value of attending your preferred program versus a less preferred program. Since all of us here have attended at most one residency program, and in general have personal first hand knowledge of at most a few programs, there's nobody on the planet that can really provide an objective comparison between your various options.