Top Facilities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgscribe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Just a question of interest, what schools had the most impressive facilities. Do a top three and tell where else you went.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. Just a question of interest, what schools had the most impressive facilities. Do a top three and tell where else you went.

WashU has AWESOME facilities. It was not enough to sway me from Duke, but the facilities at that place were amazing!!!!

I liked Yale's facilities the best, they had some really sweet new research buildings. Wash U was pretty good as well, on par with Michigan in my opinion. Michigan had the most computers and a really cool sound proof room though which I thought was awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard. Then WashU.

GWU has an awesome 6th floor

I really liked Yale's facilities. Their anatomy labs were pretty awesome. I bet Harvard's are top notch, but the interview didn't really showcase too much.

Research or clinical?

Meh, whatever you feel like is worth mentioning.

1) Harvard
2) Hopkins
3) WashU

I think Feinberg and CCLCM had awesome facilities. CCLCM especially:D

If you're talking about clinical facilities:

1) Mayo (it's like they took 4 city blocks of San Francisco and airlifted it to Rochester)
2) Harvard (it looks like they went to best buy and bought all of their plasma screens)
3) Yale (because of their anatomy room that smells like roses and the laughter of children)

WashU does indeed have awesome clinical facilities, but their "living" facilities are not so hot:p

Didn't apply to Hopkins, so I can't say.

2) Harvard (it looks like they went to best buy and bought all of their plasma screens)

Harvard looks like they emptied every quarry on Earth to construct their buildings. Seriously, I've never seen so much marble.

Mayo, CCLCM, Harvard

Others of note: Yale, Wash U, Hopkins, Michigan.

A lot of schools have some really good things but some really ****ty things so it's hard to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're talking about clinical facilities:

1) Mayo (it's like they took 4 city blocks of San Francisco and airlifted it to Rochester)
3) Yale (because of their anatomy room that smells like roses and the laughter of children)

WashU does indeed have awesome clinical facilities, but their "living" facilities are not so hot:p

Didn't apply to Hopkins, so I can't say.

If by living facilities you mean their dorm, then yeah, it sucks. But if you're in medical school and living in a dorm, it will probably suck. The living arrangements in the surrounding area are actually quite nice. But you're dead on about the dorm....it sucks....

Which Mayo facilities did you guys like? Obviously the Clinic itself is the best in the world, but the computer lab/etc in Mitchell isn't the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Still an awesome place though.

Is the anatomy lab over in Stabile with the sim center? I don't remember.

3) Yale (because of their anatomy room that smells like roses and the laughter of children).

Just for that I want to go to Yale.

Emory, hands down. They have SO much money, and they spend it accordingly. Loved it.

Emory, hands down. They have SO much money, and they spend it accordingly. Loved it.

Um, not so sure about this one. It is an awesome school, and the clinical training is phenomenal, but I am not so sure about the facilities, esp. in Grady.

Well, it's a biased question. Private schools overall have a lot more money to spend on facilities than public ones do (which is apparent at most of the UCs - except for Davis which is spanking new and UCLA which is surrounded by Westwood), but still, they came no where near Vanderbilt and Cornell (the student study places/lounges are amazing, though the two large lecture halls of vanderbilt are mediocre). But UCSD is right near the beach... but I guess the beach is not a facility... I'd rank my interviews...

Cornell (the classrooms are whoa)
Vanderbilt (beds in the study lounge?!)
USC (each student has their own, specified study space on campus, wow)
UCLA (you can smell 90210)
GWU (talk about newest technology!)
UCD (spankin' new)
UCSD (though the new library rocks)
UCSF (great great location and school, but the student lounge is a dusty shoe box)
AECOM (truth be told, there was no tour, but i stayed with a friend, and though the facilities were decent, they were nothing to whoa about)
UCI (a little drab for me, grey on grey...)

Um, not so sure about this one. It is an awesome school, and the clinical training is phenomenal, but I am not so sure about the facilities, esp. in Grady.

I thought we were talking about medical school facilities, like classrooms, anatmoy labs, computer labs etc... If we are, then I still think Emory near the top.

Grady is a public hospital in Atlanta, and just like any public hospital anywhere, the facilities are never going to be outstanding. But if you go to the Emory hospital, it looks like a hotel.

My favorites so far are the Clark(e?) bldg @ Stanford (research labs--although they are like a fish tank and I wouldn't want a desk next to the window because the whole school would know when you come in late) and whatever the name of the new bldg at Cornell is on 70 and York with the simulation facilities--beautiful!

I thought we were talking about medical school facilities, like classrooms, anatmoy labs, computer labs etc... If we are, then I still think Emory near the top.

Grady is a public hospital in Atlanta, and just like any public hospital anywhere, the facilities are never going to be outstanding. But if you go to the Emory hospital, it looks like a hotel.

Yes, but considering that you do about 1/2 of your rotations at Grady, it means you'll basically live there for ~1 year of your life. And if you go upstairs where the students hang out while in the hospital, it's not pretty.

Ranking the facilities where I interviewed it would be:

1.WashU
2. Cornell
3.U Chicago Pritzker
4. Ut Southwestern
5. U Minnesota- TC
6. Wake Forest
7. Texas Tech
8. UTSA
9. A&M
10. TCOM

Stanford's facilities were amazing

Oh, and I didn't interview at WashU but I drove by their hospital and I have to say that was the most beautiful hospital I've ever seen.

Ranking the facilities where I interviewed it would be:

1.WashU
2. Cornell
3.U Chicago Pritzker
4. Ut Southwestern
5. U Minnesota- TC
6. Wake Forest
7. Texas Tech
8. UTSA
9. A&M
10. TCOM

I interviewed at TT, UTSA and TCOM as well, and I would rank them this way (in terms of facilities):

1. TCOM
2. Texas Tech
3. UTSA

I thought TCOM was extremely, extremely nice, not to mention all the opportunities in a metro area like DFW.

I interviewed at TT, UTSA and TCOM as well, and I would rank them this way (in terms of facilities):

1. TCOM
2. Texas Tech
3. UTSA

I thought TCOM was extremely, extremely nice, not to mention all the opportunities in a metro area like DFW.

Honestly I interviewed at TCOM so long ago that it is not fresh in my memory...when I interviewed I did not get to see a class in session or the classrooms so that could be it...it was in July when students had not arrived yet

Honestly I interviewed at TCOM so long ago that it is not fresh in my memory...when I interviewed I did not get to see a class in session or the classrooms so that could be it...it was in July when students had not arrived yet

Okay, that could be a reason.

I went to one of their lectures, and the classrooms are very new and comfortable (unlike UTSA, which had older classrooms). Their anatomy lab had the latest technology, I loved their computerized system and the plasma screens above each of the tables (wonderful if there isn't a professor around to help!). Also, their hospital was nice, and they even had a simulation lab where they had those mannequins (sp?)...I didn't get to see any of those at TT or UTSA. Not to mention that they are in a very nice area of FW with very low crime (unlike UTSW, which is in a shady area of Dallas).

i second the emory facilities rejection. the buildings were crusty (but being redone for next year) and the student i was with even pointed out how awful she felt each morning walking in to the teaching buildings through a back alley that looked like a trash dump. the undergrad campus however did look impressive. and the emory hospital was awesome and hotel-like.
I'd have to say WashU had the best facilities...i mean a sweet gym just for med students. but yes, olin hall sucked major. however, i loved how each student has their own carrel and study space.

My two cents: 1 - Harvard...tough to beat the main med quad area...gorgeous; Very close #2 - WashU; 3 - Penn or Stanford -- I'm swayed by Stanford's u-grad campus being so sick, but Penn's research facilities and children's hospital are better in my book.

Honorable mention to Vandy. (And I didn't apply to JHU, but probably the best hospital complex I've seen.)

Toledo's clinical skills center felt like a real doctor's office, with a waiting room, receptionist, nice rooms, everything..

The anatomy lab was really neat, although I haven't been on that many interviews. Definitely welll lighted, and good air circulation which is muy importante. Cool plasma screen TV's that let you see X-rays and MRI's of whatever part you happen to be dissecting. And their library/study area was so spacious with beautiful views and even a dedicated "food room."

Mayo - the clinical facilities are second to none
WashU - the new med student building is wallpapered in hundred-dollar bills
Stanford - the research building shaped like a uterus is a sight to behold; and like yale, their anatomy room smells like roses and the laughter of children (I <3 pyrois)

I think it may help to clarify what you mean for a school to have "impressive facilities." Are we talking about clinical facilities? If so, by "most impressive" do you mean newest? Feinberg certainly has a nice newish looking hospital. If we're talking clinical equipment, then maybe a place with a Gamma Knife or a hyperbaric chamber would be considered impressive. Regrettably, I haven't seen Mayo! If you're not talking about clinical facilities, do you mean the preclinical teaching facilities? Harvard's MEC is truly one of a kind when it comes to teaching facilities. Yale's anatomy labs are quite impressive as are Cornell's. Or are you talking about research facilities? Here my vote goes to Stanford with the new Bio-X building although the New Research Building at Harvard is extraordinary as are Penn's Biomedical Research Buildings. Or do you mean library facilities? Here I would vote for Countway at Harvard or Kalmanovitz at UCSF. How about lounge facilities? Duke certainly had a great student lounge with a pool table and a TV as did Columbia. Lastly, there are dorm facilities. Harvard's Vanderbilt Hall is pretty amazing, if you don't mind living in a dorm. Overall it's hard to say who has the best facilities because different schools prioritize different things. Ultimately what's best is not necessarily what's impressive. Whatever facilities make you feel most comfortable being there and studying there are ultimately what's most important, not their newness per se. Just my $0.02.

Like I said, I was just asking out of curiousity. I just wanted to know what everyone thought of different schools' research/clinical sites.

If by living facilities you mean their dorm, then yeah, it sucks. But if you're in medical school and living in a dorm, it will probably suck. The living arrangements in the surrounding area are actually quite nice. But you're dead on about the dorm....it sucks....
living in a dorm as a med student does sound crappy, but... the idea of never having to set foot outside when it's cold as balls and snowing? i hate snow -- it just might be worth it.

Has anyone seen Emory after the construction? Is it even done yet?

I still can't believe people think UMich is impressive. Maybe just because I do UGrad here, but what did people like about it?

the student i was with even pointed out how awful she felt each morning walking in to the teaching buildings through a back alley that looked like a trash dump.

Let's clarify that the the teaching buildings at Emory are undergoing construction, so of course its not going to be pristine right now. They demolished part of the old building and relocated classes, so that would explain the "back alley", it's a construction zone! However, in 2 months, when the new facility opens with 162,000-square-feet of brand new space, it will be a top facility. If in doubt, check the website and the pictures, Thanks. :thumbup:

How are the facilities in the Texas schools?

I haven't been on all that many interviews, but I have to say Toledo's facilities were just beautiful.

• Spacious library and study area, even with a dedicated "food room"
  • Classrooms with enough desk space to lay out all your stuff on
  • Beautiful views of snow and trees from every room
  • Really pretty heated glass walkways so you can stay out of the cold and snow
  • Amazing clinical skills faciliity that feels like a real doctor's office (with a waiting room
  • Anatomy room that was well lighted, with plasma screens everywhere and good air circulation
  • Lots of windows so the school felt really well-lighted
  • Dedicated USMLE Step1 testing facility on campus with really comfy chairs

I think it's a newer school, built in 1964 from what I remember--so the construction looks a little fresher and newer.

Tulane's main building was really cool too because you could feel the history everywhere you went. Lots of neat exhibits everywhere of dissected anatomy.

I worked at Stanford for a while and I gotta say their facilities are just beautiful. The interdisciplinary bio building is really impressive--spiraling glass windows everywhere. In the newer building lab spaces are basically open spaces without walls between labs, meant to encourage collaboration. But a lot of the PhD and MD students working in the labs said they weren't too practical--it was really distracting to have people walking all around you, and peering at you through the glass windows. But dang, to have a Peet's Coffee right upstairs, within close distance was so nice. And the soaring bamboo everywhere was a beautiful touch too.

I was pretty impressed with Texas Medical Center (Baylor)

If you're really gonna let facilities sway your decision, I'd say the most important thing is how comfortable the chairs are and how much desk space you have in study areas/library/lecture hall if you plan on going to classes or study at school (which frankly I try to avoid except when someone is going to take attendance). This is where you will spend most of your time, and how long it takes until you are uncomfortable in your study spot is an important factor in how much you get done in a given amount of time. Also if there are places to study all the time, so you always have somewhere quiet to go no matter what's happeneing in the rest of your life. You'll spend your first two years studying so this is imperative.

Patients are patients no matter how nice or ugly the facilities at the hospital are. If anything poorer hospitals tend to have more hands on earlier in your studies. Gross lab will be over in a semester and it sux no matter how many plasma screens there are in the room so it really shouldn't be factored in. You'll be too busy to notice how pretty the buildings are.

Has anyone seen Emory after the construction? Is it even done yet?

I still can't believe people think UMich is impressive. Maybe just because I do UGrad here, but what did people like about it?

The construction isn't quite done yet, but they are set to move in at the end of May. I took MARTA from my in-law's to Emory with one of the faculty members who has already moved his office into the new building. He took me through the construction zone and on a tour of the ground level of the building. Locker rooms with washer/dryer, a big computing facility, EXCELLENT dissection lab and tissue lab.

I think it will be pretty nice.

The construction isn't quite done yet, but they are set to move in at the end of May. I took MARTA from my in-law's to Emory with one of the faculty members who has already moved his office into the new building. He took me through the construction zone and on a tour of the ground level of the building. Locker rooms with washer/dryer, a big computing facility, EXCELLENT dissection lab and tissue lab.

I think it will be pretty nice.

yay! soo exciting!!

Emory- new building will be amazing. The stuff they already have is nice too.
Vandy- great stuff, new anatomy lab will be great.

Worst facilities: Georgetown by a mile out of the places I interviewed.

Emory- new building will be amazing. The stuff they already have is nice too.
Vandy- great stuff, new anatomy lab will be great.

Worst facilities: Georgetown by a mile out of the places I interviewed.

I like this new inclusion of worst:

BEST:
CCLCM
Yale
Northwestern
Vandy

UNQUESTIONABLY BAD:
University of Washington...I dare someone to seriously say otherwise

Best:

1. Yale- amazing anatomy lab, awe-inspiring library.
2. Harvard- quad is beautiful. Didn't see a ton of the inner-buildings besides the MEC, but definitely nice they're nice from the outside.
3. UCSF- nice library. Other facilities are nice too.
4. Northwestern- just a beautiful area in general.

Others: Hopkins (wow factor with the hospital), Pitt (cool clinical skills center).

Looking back on the days when I was trying to pick a school, the most impressive facilities are at the place that doesn't make me show up to seem them everyday! Seriously, going to class sucks. A good study spot is the most important thing.

To be honest, I've seen a lot of Med schools and the University of Nebraska has got a pretty solid facility. Plus when they open their brand new health sciences education building next year, it's going to be that much better.

From what I understand Iowa Carver is very nice too.

Just gotta get away from that coastal bias.