Top medications used in a hospital pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerofTruth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some top drugs used in the hospital pharmacy setting? I'm volunteering and when they mention a certain drug I am almost clueless so I was thinking about reading up on some of them.

Members don't see this ad.

Colace....LOL those nurses would shut that place down if they ran out of Colace.

A lot depends on what drugs your hospital keeps as Formulary(this can differ from place to place):

Some highly used drugs are:

Anticoagulants and used for VTE protocols
Heparin, Lovenox, Arixtra, Warfarin

Any med used for anything BP related:

Coreg, Lopressor, Lisinopril, etc

Cholesterol Meds:
(Pretty much any statin) We use Crestor (Rosuvastatin) the most.

Also do not forget that at a hospital everything requires a script...even OTCs:

So you will dispense:
Tylenol, Aspirin, Motrin, Fish Oil, Vitamins, etc

Antibiotics:
Ancef, Rocephin, Zosyn, vancomycin, Gentamicin, Flagyl, Cleocin, Levaquin, and many more.

Narcs:
You will see:
Percocet, Dilaudid, Fentanyl, Morphine, Loratab/Vicodin/Norco( a lot have swapped to Norco due to the reduced Acetominphen dosage of 325 instead of 500), xanax, Oxycontin, and many more.

Antiepileptic/anticonvulsant drugs:

Keppra, Phenobarbitol, Vimpat, Dilantin, and more

This post could go on forever, but I think that is enough for you to go look up.

Start to put together Generic and Brand names...Nurses tend to know Brand name, but you will usually stock/store the meds by generic.
Also start to pick up on Look alike/Sound alike meds:
Look alike ex would be Neurontin and Flomax (both are capsules that use a brown and green side).

Last edited:
Lovenox

Heparin

Zyvox

Vancomycin and

Levaquin

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as number of doses is concerned, saline flush and zofran leads.
As far as total dollars.....neulasta leads.

Zyvox is a top medication? Yowzers.

In term of dollars, absolutely. A dose of this sucker is like 100 doses of rocephin, and our docs used to use it like water, that and tygacil. Had to stop that pattern in a hurry.

Last edited:
In term of dollars, absolutely. A dose of this sucker is like 100 doses of rocephin, and our docs used to use it like water, that and tygacil. Had to stop that pattern in a hurry.

I don't think the OP was thinking top meds in terms of dollars...

But yes, we do our best to limit the Zyvox, too...and not just because it's expensive.

Zyvox is a top medication? Yowzers.

Depending on which hospital I was at for rotations.

It was either Zyvox or cefepime plus flagyl.

You can add ceftriaxone to the list too!

Our ID pharmacist would have a heart attack.

When I first got here, the favorite empiric regimens MDs wrote were: zyvox + zosyn and tygacil + levaquin. You want to guess what's kind of patient/disease the second combo is often used to cover? I was wondering which planet the docs come from.

When I first got here, the favorite empiric regimens MDs wrote were: zyvox + zosyn and tygacil + levaquin. You want to guess what's kind of patient/disease the second combo is often used to cover? I was wondering which planet the docs come from.

Intraabdominal? Or SSTI if you have some really effective drug reps.