top neuro oncology fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nonphysiologic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey

what are some of the top neuro onc fellowships and what should i be seeking and asking about during interviews? ---asking for a friend,

thnx

Members don't see this ad.

What do you, or your friend in this case, want exactly? Do you want an academic career, treating patients in a university setting on clinical trials or a career as a neurologist who has some additional experience and expertise with cancer patients? Do you want more, or less, exposure to gliomas, primary CNS lymphoma, or patients with metastatic disease? Are you OK with a small program where you might be 1 of 1-2 fellows, or do you want a bigger (usually meaning more established) program? Where do you want to live?

Hey thanks so much for the response. To answer your question:
1. I prefer an academic career
2. I seek more exposure to gliomas and primary CNS tumors
3. Id like a bigger program
4. Preferably somewhere warm and a larger metro area but it doesn't matter too much. Im more concerned with the strength of program

Thanks so much again for the response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, big program, primary CNS tumors, warm climate, large metro area - MD Anderson, UCLA, UCSF come to mind immediately, probably Duke as well (not sure how many fellows they take).

What are some good midwestern programs? I need to stay around here for family reasons. I'm consider Northwestern, U of Chicago, U Mich, Cleveland Clinic? I'm ok with a small program and would like to be in an academic setting.

What are some good midwestern programs? I need to stay around here for family reasons. I'm consider Northwestern, U of Chicago, U Mich, Cleveland Clinic? I'm ok with a small program and would like to be in an academic setting.

Cleveland Clinic has a great neuro-oncology program with wonderful faculty. The volume is high and you will be exposed to every type of tumor, tumor presentation, and a plethora of clinical trials. I trained there and would highly recommend it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

How would you rank the following programs?

Memorial Sloan, UCSF, Stanford, University of Michigan, Cleveland Clinic, Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State University, Northwestern, MD Anderson, UCLA, Harvard/Mass Gen, Barrow.

Thanks!!!!

I have noted intense tribalism in neuro-oncology, and everyone seems to have good things to say about where they trained. I’m not kidding, I have scarcely ever heard someone say something negative about their fellowship. This seems especially true of the junior folks who trained over the past 10 years; this is anecdote so someone else correct me if their experience is different. I trained at one of these places, and really liked where I trained, so I fit this stereotype. A few important things to consider, how many fellows do they train per year? MSKCC, MD Anderson, Harvard train 4 or more fellows per year. UCSF may be on that list as well. The other programs on the list are relatively small and may train 2 or fewer fellows per year. But some of these smaller programs, for example UCLA and Cleveland Clinic to the best of my knowledge, have trained people every year over the past 5-10 years. For the small programs, I would want to know how many fellows they have trained in the past 5 years. Some of the programs on this list are just getting started (Michigan) so that is not a completely fair question to ask. I know I didn’t rank them, I consider myself too biased to do so.

Hey thanks so much for your help. I am having a tough time rankings these places.

Hey in regards to the top neuro ONC fellowship, what do you guys think are the top 3 neuro ONC fellowships in order? lifestyle (eg. Is it all clinical duty or is there sufficient time for research), reputation of faculty, and overall training?

I know there is a lot of tribalism but I hear different things from different people just want to make sure I'm making the most informed decision when considering any offers.

Thanks.

Let's put it this way. There's more tribalism in Mass Gen than in Madagascar.

What is the future of neuro-oncology like? I feel like neurosurgery and rad onc get all the glory in this area of medicine. Are we going to see stem cell therapies, new chemotherapies etc?