Top OB/GYN Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mailee88

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I was looking on the Internet for a list of top OB/GYN programs and have yet to come across any!! The only one I can find is in US News...and it's the top hospitals for Gyn Onc. So, if anyone knows of a list out there somewhere or have an idea (by word of mouth or your own opinion) what the best ob/gyn programs are, that would be very helpful! Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! So I'm an M3 planning to apply for an ob-gyn residency spot, and if anyone has anything they want to say about the whole residency process, interviews, or, as above, what their opinion on the "best" schools are, that would be great.

I would really appreciate any advice!

:) kem

The things that I can tell you are:

Start working on your personal statement and other application material as soon as you can

Start asking for letters of recommendation around July so that by the time the writer gets around to doing it, the match is about to start. You don't want to have the programs not interview you because the app is incomplete

Start looking at programs using FREIDA, APGO, or whatever resource you have and then do more research into them

You may want to invest and buy the book by Iserson (Guide to Getting Into Residency of Your Choice). Some material is outdated (specialty profiles) but overall its a great asset to have.

I'll let the others in the forum post the rest of the advice.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Global!

Do any of you M4's/residents mind talking about what you wrote about in your personal statement and why you decided to write about that? I hate writing personal statements, I feel like I could write a good one about a lot of people that I know, but for myself, I draw a blank. Are you supposed to answer the question, "Why do you want to be an ob-gyn?" I've heard varying advice.

:) kem

Although my M4 days have already come and gone, i can still help you with your problem. As you know the personal statement is perhaps your only chance to put a "personality" to your application. This may or may not heavily influence your chances on obtaining an interview (depending on the program, of course). As a result, this little essay can easily become one of the most grueling aspects of the application process.

What I usually suggest is that you try to avoid cliches (i.e. why I would be a good OB, how I got interested in OB, etc.), unless they make for a VERY interesting story. Another statement killer would be the standard "CV" statement (because your achievements are already included in the application, it wouldn't be wise to repeat them in your statement - not to mention make for VERY boring reading). Also, if you, like most applicants, are not a creative writing expert, it would not be wise to start being creative with your personal statement since it will most likely backfire.

Now that you have all these "donts", lets cover the "dos". You should concetrate on the positive aspects of your personality that are not evident through your application (tell them about how you dress up like Santa Claus every year for the local orphanage at Christmas, mention how you selflessly rescued your neighbor form a house fire...not the best examples I know, but you get the point). Write your statement early, proofread and correct it often, have professionals check it for spelling/grammatical/content errors, and have mentors (MD) proofread it for its "shock" value. You should definately discuss any deficiencies in your application (i.e. why you failed a class/the USMLE, why you took a year off, why your basic sciences grades stunk and your clinical grades rocked and vice-versa, etc). I'm not talking about making up excuses, though. You should definately be truthful. If all you could write to explain why you did not perform up to par is that you partied too much, then go ahead and write it as long as you end the explanation with a positive spin (ex: I failed anatomy because my priorities were backwards, but I learned from this experience and studied harder thereafter). Although, you should mention these negative aspects, DO NOT CONCENTRATE ON THEM. Just mention them, explain them, and move on to the positive things.

Just a few more hints: make sure your statement is no longer than one page and that the font is no larger than 12 and no smaller than 10, and lastly, make whatever your writing about sound exciting. If your reader is entertained by your story, chances are that they will want to meet you in person during an interview. I hope this helped.

Reactions: 1 user
I started this post with the topic of TOP OB/GYN PROGRAMS...if anyone has any input on this, please post, otherwise, start a new thread if you are going to discuss other topics. Thanks!

Hello
I understand that the post is about the top ObGyn programs, but the advise about the personal statement is definetely good.
Now, what are the top ObGyn programs?

i only interviewed east/west coast. i think these are the tops based on my OWN opinion combined with reputation and input from attdgs in the field:

BWH - larger program (10), no shortage of exposure to MFM and Gyn Onc, tons of cases, no the fellows do not steal your cases, they added to the learning, majority of recent grads went on to fellowships

UCLA - another large program, program chair was sort of "pressured" to take on position as chair, highly research biased, most residents came from Cali

UCSF - large program (8), awesome perks including a month in Honolulu, 7/8 residents last year went into private practice (?), program director says he's ok with this

Hopkins - mixed feelings about this place, still think Baltimore is scary, but contrary to what I thought before coming, residents seemed happy though one resident was mugged her first year there, very research oriented as well but research project nor a requirement, baltimore cheap to live in, lots of male residents

Stanford - very tiny program, 4 people, intern runs the board, they don't seem too overworked, but seems like a small number of residents for fairly busy service, pure suburbia

Yale - previously seemed to have lots of FMGs, most graduated now, New Haven small and not lots to do, good pay, very affordable to live there, chair AWESOME, huge new plans for the OB/GYN department including new research facilities and lots of new staff

more to come...

my own .02

Thanks for the insight on your interviews so far! Good luck with the rest of your interviews! What have people heard about the following places...
- UColorado Denver
- Seattle
- UCSD
- Baylor Houston
- Emory
- Phoenix
- UC Irvine

Those are some of the places I am looking to do an elective. Any insight!?!?
Thanks!!

What have y'all heard about:

Wash U
Vanderbilt
Northwestern

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

As for those programs listed above. Here's some info I received from my Ob Gyn faculty and residents for what it's worth...

UW Seattle - awesome program, top tier. Very competitive. No idea about quality of life.

Emory - good program. Well-known for gyn surgery, but less so for OB

CU Denver - good program, second tier (whatever that means). Happy residents.

UCSD - great place to live, but the program is +/-.

kdoc2005

Thanks for your input! As far as for Wash U, Vanderbilt, Northwestern...since I'm from STL, i know that WashU is known to be malignant. It is also very research heavy. The residents there work VERY hard...a friend of mine interviewed there and hated it...and STL isn't much of a "big happenin' city"...I'm not sure aobut the other two...anyone else?

First what do you want from a residency program? Is it the name or the chance to get high operative numbers, perform a variety of procedure in uro/gyn, gyn-onc, rei? If it is soley the name go for the ivy league schools.

Second do you want to subspecialize?

Third how much operative time do you need? Some schools acheive the bare minimum of vaginal hysterectomies goal 60-100 would be my idea of being competant when you leave residency.

You may want to consider some community programs that have success placing people in caliber speciality programs that also have high numbers.

(why is this? most community programs have a high volume that allows interns to be the surgeon for abdominal hysterectomies, all minor procedures, and c-sections)

Good luck

Any other input from those who have just finished interviewing??
Thanks!

kdoc2005

I am currently an MS3 at Baylor but have talked to an MS4 that matched at Columbia.

Some OB/GYN programs she had mentioned with a good focus on public health included, in no order:

Columbia - NY Presbyterian
UCSF
UNC (research-heavy)
Albert Einstein
Penn
Hopkins (very academia-oriented)
Beth Israel Deaconess

As for Baylor, the program had a reputation of being somewhat malignant, but with a new residency director, I feel as if the program is on the upswing, and definitely walking away from the once-malignant reputation. As a student, I found the clinical core rotation fairly relaxed and enjoyable, but experiences definitely vary.

The program is large, with 12 residents/year, but the mix of hospitals are wonderful. You have a high-volume county hospital, but brush up on Spanish, or else you will be forced to learn quickly. You also have 2 wealthy private hospitals. Almost all the 4th year residents I know are pursuing fellowships next year.

If there are any more details I can help you with, feel free to ask or PM me.

My school is compiling a database of interview experiences -- I thought my interview notes could be helpful for next year's group. So you know where I'm coming from - I will likely go into general OB/GYN, I'm not that interested in research, and I have nearly $200,000 debt, so cost of living is important to me!

So the "best" program I think depends on what you're looking for.

Here we go....

Specialty Area: Ob/Gyn
Program Name and Location: Brown (Women and Infants? of RI) Providence, RI
Positives and negatives of the interview day and the program?
Positives: Noon conference qD, lunch provided. Tons of deliveries (9600!/year) Complete night float system for ALL services ? practically no call. Excellent ancillary services, beautiful L & Ds. Nurse midwives are very involved in medical student and resident education; they actually check off your skills as a new PGY-1. Staff in-house 24-7. Good benefits, including dental. The residents were my favorite of any program I visited ? they were so happy and friendly. Research does not seem to be a focus here. This was one of my top choices.
Negatives: They work with a lot of different private attendings. (Iffy continuity). Providence is a moderately expensive to rent, buying is out of question. REI - you rotate with doc in community. 15% do a fellowship. They tend to not take their own for fellowship.
Does the program have a specific focus? Good general practitioners.
Specific interview questions you were asked? Would I move to RI?
What did you wish you knew before you went there? What a huge part of the program the nurse midwives are.
What information will be helpful to future applicants? If you don?t want to work with nurse midwives, don?t apply. Providence is 45 minutes from Boston and 3 hours from NYC.
If this was an externship, tell how much you worked, and whether your
experience was worthwhile. N/A

Program Name and Location: Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC
Positives: Very cheap cost of living; most residents own their homes. They hold an ?academic afternoon? q week. A good patients population. They have free access to an incredible gym. They just built a brand new clinic in 2003, with state of the art equipment, including many 3D ultrasounds ? very impressive. I truly think the faculty are approachable and nice. Research project is not too strenuous here.
Negatives: Very much a family environment; many residents brought kids to the pre-interview dinner. They state they baby-sit for each other. The vast majority are married. Very southern.
Does the program have a specific focus? Creating general practioners.
Specific interview questions you were asked? They cared much more about my outside activities and interests than my academics.
What did you wish you knew before you went there? How family oriented the program was. I am not married and have no kids; I don?t think I?d fit in here.
What information will be helpful to future applicants? After writing thank you notes I received a letter from the program. In Feb, I received 3 phone calls ? most aggressive program I encountered.

Program Name and Location: University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Positives: Seattle is beautiful; campus is right on the water. They have strong fellowships in everything but GYN-ONC. The conferences are protected time for you to learn. Most cases you work with staff 1:1. Residents report that PGY-1 is a time to learn with lots of back up. You won?t feel abandoned. Unbelievable amount of NIH funding. Night float system in place ? smooth transition to 80 hour work week. A good # of vaginal hyst ? approx 40. Facilities are awesome ? just opened a beautiful outpatient surgery center.
Negatives: It rains a lot. You have to travel to 3 hospitals, all within about 15 minutes of each other.
Does the program have a specific focus? Not really, they are strong in everything.
Specific interview questions you were asked? What?s your favorite book/food/music? (from program director) What?s the last movie you saw?
What did you wish you knew before you went there? Nothing.
What information will be helpful to future applicants? There are 6 interviews, and each one is a 2:1 format, meaning 2 interviews talking to you. UW loves the panel interview. Each team has an agenda: academics, future plans, hobbies, ect. It?s a long interview day as each interview is 30 minutes.

Program Name and Location: U of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Positives: Huge medical center! 100% fellowship match rate. They have an impressive # of fellowships including a laproscopic fellowship, which is rare. You get 5 months of REI! The residents seemed very smart, and hard working ? people I would like to work with. Program has an excellent reputation. Good mix of graduates going into fellowships and general practice.
Negatives: Their definition of night float is weird. Only the PGY-3 has Night float, and the intern has q4 call for 6 months! (They leave early post-call). It is very obvious that these residents work very hard. Residents stated that they ?never saw the bed once on call as an intern?. Despite being a small college town, (nearest city is Detroit, 30 miles east) cost of living is equal to that of a big city. I was shocked! Most of the residents are married; family oriented program. Also only 2 weeks vacation as an intern. This seems a little cruel.
Does the program have a specific focus? Strong in everything.
Specific interview questions you were asked? Would you move to Ann Arbor? Last book you read?
What did you wish you knew before you went there? How much it costs to live in Ann Arbor and how much I would dislike small town Midwestern life. Just not for me. They are very into international health, and you have the option to do an international health rotation.
What information will be helpful to future applicants? Usually 50% of their residents were U of M med students. However, the program director states they gladly take new people.

Program Name and Location: University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
Positives: Protected teaching time on Fridays, The facilities are beautiful, and connected by tunnels, so you don?t have to go outside on a Chicago winter night. They have a night float in place. Staff is in house 24-7. Research projects are ?easy to start?. About half do fellowship, half do general practice. You begin doing C/S your first year. Staff is in house 24/7. Chicago is a great city.
Negatives: In the South Side of Chicago ? I did not feel safe in this area. The chairman is new. He states he will hire more faculty, but this is not guaranteed. He also had to lay off the CNMs due to budget cuts. I can?t explain it ? but the residents didn?t seem as friendly or happy as other places I went. Laproscopic surgery is a weakness, they admit.
Does the program have a specific focus? No
Specific interview questions you were asked? Discussed WHI study, Talked about living in Chicago.
What did you wish you knew before you went there? That it was in a bad part of town.
What information will be helpful to future applicants? The Ramada on South Shore drive is the hotel they recommend ? it?s terrible, expensive and in Hyde Park! I really wished I had stayed downtown and thus been able to enjoy Chicago instead of being stuck in the South side.

Program Name and Location: Northwestern, Chicago, IL
Positives: It is right off Michigan Ave ? such a nice area! Tons of research options. A little over 50% go into fellowships. The hospital is increasing # of deliveries per year (rare) and is currently @ 10,000 per year. They have a complete night float system ? easy transition to 80 hour work week. Staff is in room for every delivery. Residents seemed very happy. Chicago is a great city.
Negatives: Seemed a little posh. Facilities were fine, but not the beautiful place that I expected. Expensive area to live in. They have a 2nd hospital that you might have your weekly clinic in, and it?s a 30 minute commute.
Does the program have a specific focus? No
Specific interview questions you were asked? Favorite book and movie? Why Ob/Gyn?
What did you wish you knew before you went there? That they interview 45 people in one day. You feel like a herd of sheep!
What information will be helpful to future applicants? Come prepared with questions. The chairman and program director do not interview, but hang out in the break room and talk to applicants throughout the morning.
If this was an externship, tell how much you worked, and whether your experience was worthwhile. N/A

Program Name and Location: U of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
Positives: 75% of the editors of Williams Obstetrics are here ? The faculty are national figures and approachable. Residents state staff are excellent teachers. The #2 NIH funded program.They have a very large population base ? the entire state of AL. They work closely with med students and use a real night float system. It?s so cheap that almost all residents own their homes.
Negatives: They are building a new hospital, but construction won?t start until 2006. It?s in Birmingham.
Does the program have a specific focus? Surgery. They consider Ob/Gyn to be a surgical subspecialty, not primary care. ?Classic GYN surgeon training?
Specific interview questions you were asked? Why Ob/Gyn?
What did you wish you knew before you went there? That it would be such an amazing wonderful program, but I disliked the location. This interview was the an example of how important location is.
What information will be helpful to future applicants? Only interview if you?re willing to live in Birmingham.

Program Name and Location: Thomas Jefferson, Philadelphia, PA
Positives: It?s located in a beautiful, posh area ? ?society hill? Most of the residents live in apartments within walking distance. They report a large referral base. Lots of teaching. Spend 2-3 hours rounding ?to discuss management? ?? (I can?t imagine ob/gyns rounding that long) Abortion training is offered. Intern call is q7, interns leave AM post call. Spend 2 weeks in U/S lab. Three of 8 residents last year did fellowships.
Negatives: The intro speech included that the program was ?on the way up? (?? Red flag??) New Chairman this year; PD states ?people coming and going is normal?. The Gyn-Onc department (3 docs) just left the program. 2 residents are gone from PGY-2 year, one transferred to Brigham, the other fired due to incompetence. They have not been able to fill these holes. Malpractice is a HUGE issue. Residents state they learn Ob the ?right? way and the ?Philadelphia-cover-your-butt? way. Residents are afraid of being sued. Two residents told me they find medical students ?in the way?.
Does the program have a specific focus? No.
What did you wish you knew before you went there? The malpractice disaster and that there was NO gyn-onc. I did not even rank this program, I wish I had not gone and saved my money.

Program Name and Location: University of Pittsburgh, Magee-Womens Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
Positives: What an amazing program! Very strong residents. They are very nice people! They offer fellowships in everything except REI. 2 people did GYN-ONC fellowships last year. They have an affiliated research institute. No traveling between hospitals. Very strong surgical / OB #s. The faculties are amazing. The hospital is rated the #3 place in the US to have a baby by Fit Pregnancy Magazine. Pittsburgh is very affordable (1 BR apt for $450-550), and USAir?s airport hub. Plus No sales tax in PA!
Negative: Interim chair. Pittsburgh isn?t the greatest city. Not many men in the program, 3/36 !!
Does the program have a specific focus? Strong in everything
Specific interview questions you were asked?
What did you wish you knew before you went there? How much I was going to love it! I would have researched it more!
What information will be helpful to future applicants? Keep an open mind. I was going to cancel this one, because I didn?t want to live in Pittsburgh, and it ended up being one of my favorites!

Program Name and Location: Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA
Positives: Sunny, pretty affluent area. The hospital facilities were nice. They gave us a good lunch.
Negatives: A small program with only 4 residents. We only met 2 residents the whole day ? one seemed bored and the other grouchy. My faculty interviewer was downright rude about my application ? she stated her disbelief that I didn?t do research and made a joke that at one time I attended a community college. The grouchy resident commented that they work out of 2 hospitals and the computer systems were different, and finding charts/patient info could be very difficult. Cost of living is out of control. The program director said there was discounted apartments. Here?s the deal: There is an apartment building that you can enter a lottery to get a lease at. A studio is $960. A gyn-onc private group works in town and gets most of the gyn-onc cases; they are really struggling for their gyn onc #s. I did not rank this program, I?d rather scramble.

Does the program have a specific focus? RESEARCH
Specific interview questions you were asked? Why don?t you do any research?
What did you wish you knew before you went there? That they are research oriented, and not too shy about letting you know that you?re inferior.
What information will be helpful to future applicants? If you aren?t a research fanatic, save your money. I can?t believe they were so rude! Why did they grant me an interview? To mock me?

Program Name and Location: Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
Positives: Very much follow the 80 hour work week. They start their continuity clinic in the PGY 1 year (most programs start the 2nd year). They have Friday ?school? from 1-4PM, which is protected teaching time with a 2 year curriculum of material. The primary care requirements look like a piece of cake ? Community Medicine, Student Health (most places you?re on medicine wards) Good surgical #s. Stable faculty: Dr. Fox, chairman, has been there for 7 years, and has no plans on leaving. He?s very into international health. The faculty is very involved. Weekly, the chairman meets with the residents (after grand rounds) to discuss how things are going. The residents love their program director and call her by first name. She really does seem very nice ? and sad that Hopkins has such a malignant reputation when their program is so friendly. JHU facilities are beautiful ? every room in the hospital is a private room. The clinic is amazing. You get your own clinic ?pod? and your own nurse for your clinic day! Great salary $39,264 ? and living in Baltimore is cheap! Very close to D.C. Great vacation schedule, 4 weeks + week at holidays all 4 years!
Negatives: Three hospitals to commute to within 30 minutes. For some reason they only filled 7/9 spots last year (2003). I don?t understand that. I wish I would have had time to see the other 2 facilities.
Does the program have a specific focus? No.
What did you wish you knew before you went there? I expected a more research oriented, gunner program. These people seemed nice, down to earth, and just wanted to be good doctors.
What information will be helpful to future applicants? I wrote thank you notes to all of my interviewers. This was the one program where I got letters back from the chairman and the program director, which both thanked me for my note. I don?t know if its important, but they noticed.

Program Name and Location: Brigham & Women?s / Mass General Integrated Program, Boston, MA
Positives: Quite an impressive name. The faculty seemed very nice and down to earth. The hospital is great. They are all about making leaders, be it research, public health/policy, CREOG, whatever.
Negatives: A student who did a rotation there stated that going into private practice was a waste of a Harvard education. Ouch. Some of the residents seemed uppity. The residents DO NOT do ultrasound. At Harvard, that is the domain of the radiology department. This is a huge hole in training.
Does the program have a specific focus? Making leaders in the field.
Specific interview questions you were asked? All asked in a group of 2 interviewers and 3 applicants: If you could create a piece of art for the world what would it be? and why? Should IVF be covered by insurance? (asked by an REI). We make abortion training optional. If everyone opts out, that limits a women?s right to choose due to lack of access. How should we handle this? What color would your friends say describes you and why? If you could sit down and have dinner with one person alive or dead who would it be?
What did you wish you knew before you went there? Lack of U/S training is a big deal to me.

Program Name and Location: Emory University, Atlanta, GA
Positives: The program director seemed very approachable. The city of Atlanta is nice, cost of living is acceptable, and it?s Delta?s hub. Residents seem like really cool, smart people. I liked them a lot. (Only met 3.) They also had a good mix of men and women.
Negatives: I got the impression that Grady residents felt abandoned and overwhelmed. It seems like a very ?sink or swim? environment. They have 3 facilities which are spread far apart. They commute for stuff like Grand rounds in Atlanta traffic. They have absolutely NO elective time.
Specific interview questions you were asked? Are you willing to perform abortions? Are you hard working? Prove it? How many days of school did you miss last year? What are you USMLE scores? Why did you HP Ob/Gyn when you?re going into it?

Hope this is helpful!! Remember - these are only my opinions, everyone probably has differing opinions based on their career goals.

Thank you biogirl2003! This is awesome! :)

-kem, a grateful M3