Top Paying vs Best Jobs in the USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Damnit! Knew I shoulda been a Landman!

Reactions: 2 users

On the bright side. We at least made the list!

But seriously speaking there is a lot of truth to being ranked all the way down as 100

The public will see the $335k plus salary and say "wow"

But one thing to consider things is what is the ""Best job" is completely different than what the best job for you or me.

Members don't see this ad :)
CNN doesn't know jack about medicine. Where's dermatology?
Keeping their head down to hide how much they make from regulators looking for budget cuts to reimbursement.

Reactions: 1 user
And what about nsg and ortho and ent and urology?

Anesthesiology is far from the top earners

Reactions: 3 users
Because anesthesiology is one of the few fields of medicine where being an employee and getting a salary is the norm instead of the exception. These lists are based off of salary. So the billing based specialties are hidden away. As are high level business owners/CEOs who make 100k salaries but millions in bonuses.

Reactions: 3 users
Other than neurosurgery are they really making thaaaaat much more? Excluding partners (surgical and anesthesia), fresh grads on both sides of the curtain seem to be doing about the same in my neck of the woods. That's including some ent and ortho friends. Gen surg/trauma on the other hand pays less.

All anecdotal. Oh and we get WAY more vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Keeping their head down to hide how much they make from regulators looking for budget cuts to reimbursement.
Smart. If/when I become an attending, I plan on lowballing every salary survey that comes my way and I recommend you all do the same if you know what's good for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Smart. If/when I become an attending, I plan on lowballing every salary survey that comes my way and I recommend you all do the same if you know what's good for you.

Well hopefully you're never an employee then. Many hospitals owned groups have salaries tied to a certain MGMA percentile, typically a low one (shocking I know). In the current environment this would be one reason to overinflate the numbers.

The lay person doesn't care if you make 300k vs 600k.

Your employers care if other doctors say they make 300k vs 600k.

Reactions: 2 users
The lay person doesn't care if you make 300k vs 600k.

Your employers care if other doctors say they make 300k vs 600k.
Guess we're under attack from both sides. You just can't win then.

Ack, why did we get tagged as the highest doctor job?! Everyone is gonna scroll down, see a salary of $315k and wonder where the nearest night school is where they too can train to become a radiologist.

Dermies and subspecialty surgeons are so smart to avoid these stupid lists.