What are the highest paying contracts you’ve seen in the middle of nowhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Any single anesthesiologist with more than 2 years experience and no kids should do pure locums. Just my advice. You will get paid for true work. I do think new grads should get in a stable practice their first couple of years out to get a feel how things are.

I do think the hourly model is the way to go especially when you are younger.
What happens?
My friend does pain in rural south

Lots of things can be swept under the table especially complications

They do ob there also. Sometimes no blood available with stat c/s

Just a way of life there. Doesn’t happen often but it has in his 10 plus year there. And you can live like a king 750k there

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know about middle of no where. My urology friend is getting 1.2 million guaranteed in upper Midwest Plus $2000/night just to carry beeper if more than 10 days on call. Plus a whopping $100/rvu (usually rvu is around $50-60/rvu. Surgeons and non anesthesia people know what rvu is good or bad. And $100/rvu is like getting equivalent off of $500-600/hr in the anesthesia word.

Anyways. I’m getting a whopping $800/hr guaranteed to cover xmas/eve/ day. I’m debating just doing just half of it and going to the country club for late brunch. And I don’t live in the boonies.

As for the 17k anesthesia units. That’s crazy amount if doing solo cases. But if supervising. It’s not a lot.
I will take your 800/hr half of call o_O

$750k-$1.1 million, 4 days a week, 8-4 or 5. No nights, call, or weekends. Pain management in the rural south.
we are talking general anesthesia here .... would not be a fair comparison ... if you live in the boonies while the rest of
the family is in a metro area it will get old very fast for any amount of money....... no money will buy you time with
the family

These is a new cardiac job in Modesto, CA
pro- 900K guaranteed (unto 1.2M with call stipend)
cons- q2 call rare call back, Modesto
thoughts?
That translates to about half of that - at least on w2 with 11% cal tax plus cost of living that is out of this world.... on a 1099 its more palatable.... was looking at an L.A. gig..... paying $4500 rent plus taxes is just not worth it

i think anesthesiology is one of those fields that dont pay that much compared to other docs in rurals. some of those rural pays for neurologists, other docs etc are pretty insane compared to their pay in non rural areas elsewhere. for us, it's a bit more but nothing crazy. probably because of crnas

Reactions: 1 users
we are talking general anesthesia here .... would not be a fair comparison ... if you live in the boonies while the rest of
the family is in a metro area it will get old very fast for any amount of money....... no money will buy you time with
the family
Some families like rural.

Rural can mean a lot of things.

“Rural in Florida” in most parts of the state means you are within 45 min-1 hour of the major metro areas for date night/shows etc in 90% of the rural area in Florida.

Now if you are in say western Kansas. Ain’t nothing within 2 hours of driving distance. That’s rural. Crna I know making a killing there in Kansas. Just as much as locums MDs in many metro areas. And he’s got kids. (Divorce). So he will fly back to Florida when he has his kids.

Some families like rural.

Rural can mean a lot of things.

“Rural in Florida” in most parts of the state means you are within 45 min-1 hour of the major metro areas for date night/shows etc in 90% of the rural area in Florida.

Now if you are in say western Kansas. Ain’t nothing within 2 hours of driving distance. That’s rural. Crna I know making a killing there in Kansas. Just as much as locums MDs in many metro areas. And he’s got kids. (Divorce). So he will fly back to Florida when he has his kids.

it depends what you can or can’t tolerate … Florida yes … maybe … even in metropolitan areas in Florida it feels like there is nothing there .. except
For Miami maybe

Chicago suburbs advertised rate 400 with lodging. Nj 400 without lodging.
Chicago proper local w2 salaries were depressed for so long from 2012-2019. What happened to the area?

Almost like Atlanta area w2 salaries really depressed for the same period of time. Now it’s the wild Wild West in Chicago.

Dallas proper w2 salaries depressed as well. 1099 isn’t great in Dallas either.

That translates to about half of that - at least on w2 with 11% cal tax plus cost of living that is out of this world.... on a 1099 its more palatable.... was looking at an L.A. gig..... paying $4500 rent plus taxes is just not worth it
Modesto is a wasteland. The cost of living is quite reasonable by California standards unless you want a 10+ acre ranch/farm property.
I’m looking for 10-30 but certainly not in Modesto. 😆

Modesto is a wasteland. The cost of living is quite reasonable by California standards unless you want a 10+ acre ranch/farm property.
I’m looking for 10-30 but certainly not in Modesto. 😆
I definitely couldn’t live in or near Modesto. Sacramento I could do though!