What are the highest paying contracts you’ve seen in the middle of nowhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dogruffle01

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering anesthesia and I’m needing some motivation to get through surgery rotations. I’m from the country and plan on working in a rural hospital?

What are the best contracts you all have seen for working in the middle of nowhere ?

Members don't see this ad.

Place I had interviewed. Hospital employed.

Midwest. Population about 150,000, couple hours to a few major cities.

You bill the hospital for your units at $38/unit, hourly incentives for supervising and taking call. They average 17,000 units each/annually per their chair.

If you take 6 or fewer weeks vacation as 1 FTE call taking position, regardless of your total billings so far; hospital guaranteed $650,000ish. From what I remember, they review how much you had billed so far in the year and pay the difference to bring up to the above amount.

That offer was about a year and a half ago, they said they were hiring up to 8 anesthesiologists.

Newest attending there who I met during the dinner told me he took about 12 weeks vacation in the last year and made approximately 880ish. Senior guys told me he works like crazy and its always busy.

Rechecked gasworks and the ad was gone within a couple months.

No OB

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Keep in mind it will depend on the state. In my state, vast majority of the truly middle of nowhere hospitals are CRNA only, and I suspect that things will only continue to trend in that direction. I'm not suggesting that I support this, but this is just the way it is. Also I am guessing you are an M3? In 6 years market could be different (although kinda unclear how this anesthesiologist shortage will ever get fixed).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Place I had interviewed. Hospital employed.

Midwest. Population about 150,000, couple hours to a few major cities.

You bill the hospital for your units at $38/unit, hourly incentives for supervising and taking call. They average 17,000 units each/annually per their chair.

If you take 6 or fewer weeks vacation as 1 FTE call taking position, regardless of your total billings so far; hospital guaranteed $650,000ish. From what I remember, they review how much you had billed so far in the year and pay the difference to bring up to the above amount.

That offer was about a year and a half ago, they said they were hiring up to 8 anesthesiologists.

Newest attending there who I met during the dinner told me he took about 12 weeks vacation in the last year and made approximately 880ish. Senior guys told me he works like crazy and its always busy.

Rechecked gasworks and the ad was gone within a couple months.

No OB
17000 units would be an absolute grind.

Reactions: 3 users
I don’t know about middle of no where. My urology friend is getting 1.2 million guaranteed in upper Midwest Plus $2000/night just to carry beeper if more than 10 days on call. Plus a whopping $100/rvu (usually rvu is around $50-60/rvu. Surgeons and non anesthesia people know what rvu is good or bad. And $100/rvu is like getting equivalent off of $500-600/hr in the anesthesia word.

Anyways. I’m getting a whopping $800/hr guaranteed to cover xmas/eve/ day. I’m debating just doing just half of it and going to the country club for late brunch. And I don’t live in the boonies.

As for the 17k anesthesia units. That’s crazy amount if doing solo cases. But if supervising. It’s not a lot.

For reference, doing all your own cases, 800 points/mo is a creampuff gig. Doing 1200/mo would keep you darned busy. (9600-14400 per year).

Reactions: 1 user
My urology friend is getting 1.2 million guaranteed in upper Midwest Plus $2000/night just to carry beeper if more than 10 days on call.
Yeah they pay some of the surgeons crazy amounts just to be on call. And let’s be real, there aren’t too many urologic emergencies… So I never did understand the mentality that anesthesiologists shouldn’t also be paid a hefty amount for their on-call availability.

PS I’ll take that other half of your 800/hr call day.

Considering anesthesia and I’m needing some motivation to get through surgery rotations. I’m from the country and plan on working in a rural hospital?

What are the best contracts you all have seen for working in the middle of nowhere ?

In mid-November, financial services company Empower released the results of a survey conducted by The Harris Poll in August that asked 2,034 Americans aged 18 and over if they think there is a price ot happiness. The average respondent said they think they need a $284,167 annual salary to be happy, and for millennials, that amount was much higher at $525,000.

Reactions: 2 users

$1 million dollars for 6 months of coverage, Cardiac Attending. Lots of call but very light call back. I routinely hear of Cardiac Locums Anesthesiologists earning in excess of $1 million per year (about $100K per month). A W-2 position doing Cardiac in a rural area typically pays $650-$800K with benefits.
The incentive to lure a new hire to a rural area is the highest on record.

I think my hometown hospital had something like $900K salary with 19 weeks PTO or something ridiculous like that.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
People probably know this, but nonprofit organizations have to file an IRS form 990 every year with the salaries of the highest paid employees. Pro Publica - among other sites - has these forms in a relatively accessible format.

So depending on how they organize things, you can sometimes get actual salaries.

As a purely random example, this is from a city of about 15,000 people in Indiana.

Good Samaritan Hospital Physician Services (Vincennes, IN)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People probably know this, but nonprofit organizations have to file an IRS form 990 every year with the salaries of the highest paid employees. Pro Publica - among other sites - has these forms in a relatively accessible format.

So depending on how they organize things, you can sometimes get actual salaries.

As a purely random example, this is from a city of about 15,000 people in Indiana.

That was cool. Thanks. Surprised by a few names at my hospital! Interventional GI guy with same base salary as neurosurgeons and interventional/structural cards base salary. All over $1M.

In mid-November, financial services company Empower released the results of a survey conducted by The Harris Poll in August that asked 2,034 Americans aged 18 and over if they think there is a price ot happiness. The average respondent said they think they need a $284,167 annual salary to be happy, and for millennials, that amount was much higher at $525,000.
Sounds about right
“For example, 62% of millennials said they would be willing to pay $7 for a daily coffee "because of the joy it brings."”

My millennial wife’s friend who’s recently divorce gets 125k a year post tax alimony and child support (so like the equivalent of 160-170k pretax since alimony isn’t taxed anymore ….ex husband CFO of big insurance company….

(Plus she makes 100k pretax herself at her job…yes she has a real job) spends $14 a day on coffee for her and her middle school 8th grade daughter almost daily on the way to school.

My 8th grade son was making fun of the daughter for wearing a “track suit” to school this week. I had to point to my son that’s a $300 Aviator Nation outfit she’s wearing.

The spending is insane with these millennials. My colleague at work (who’s on his second wife who he hates) has this saying that a regular man cannot outearn what a woman can spend.

The lady has no mortgage. Ex husband paid cash for house for her as well. So she literally spends everything she makes plus the alimony and child support.

not gonna send the direct link. But this anesthesia doc sold out to Sheridan for millions (more than 5 million for him alone). Gets to be 1/2/3rd in command of huge non profit. Making almost 3 million from 501c plus his envision income (likely in the 700k range) running anesthesia practice for envision. Complete conflict of interest working was top guy in hospital system and running third party anesthesia contract.

Seems like we do a couple of cysto/stent cases every single night. :(

They're quick easy cases, but ... every night.
As one of my (conservative) urologist friends said (regarding the other urology group in town that likes making $$ at night), “You gotta get the stone out before they have time to pass it!!”….

• Haha
not gonna send the direct link. But this anesthesia doc sold out to Sheridan for millions (more than 5 million for him alone). Gets to be 1/2/3rd in command of huge non profit. Making almost 3 million from 501c plus his envision income (likely in the 700k range) running anesthesia practice for envision. Complete conflict of interest working was top guy in hospital system and running third party anesthesia contract.

Hackensack?

Bit off topic, but 12 years ago there was a family medicine doctor working in a small regional centre with 5 other full time family med doctors. This guy didn't do obs, or anaesthesia, or pain, hardly did call for the hospital. Just straight outpatient family medicine in the indigenous clinic attached to the hospital. Maybe 5-15 patients per day depending on no-shows.

The town, and the patient cohort, was so unattractive and desperate for a doctor that this guy was making >$1M per year, with a free 2 story house on the ocean, plus all travel costs... 12 years ago. For perspective the current full time private practice fam med rates in Aus is $200,000 - $350,000, with the highest earners normally doing pain/loads of call. Bonkers!

That said... He hated the job. Next major city in any direction by road was 9 hours to the east, or 20 hours to the west... Or 30 to the north. He left after 3 years, which was 2 years longer than every doc who followed. Really, really depressing clinic. Catchment area for the patient cohort was where the UK tested their nukes in the desert in the 50s and ruined the water supply

Last edited:
220k. 2 weeks on/2 weeks off. Yeah, I know...not that great. But it's typical of rural Oregon so you see a lot of CRNA only places. But you can live like a king on that salary in "Smallville" as they like to say.

• Haha
220k. 2 weeks on/2 weeks off. Yeah, I know...not that great. But it's typical of rural Oregon so you see a lot of CRNA only places. But you can live like a king on that salary in "Smallville" as they like to say.
Man. That’s what my crna friend dad (who’s also crna) in Oregon gets paid for 26 weeks 200k/26 weeks.

I hope this is a joke. Only someone with an extra 21st chromosome would take this job.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I hope this is a joke. Only someone with an extra 23rd chromosome would take this job.
Please do not make jokes about the mentally challenged. The orthopods around here are very sensitive.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
These is a new cardiac job in Modesto, CA
pro- 900K guaranteed (unto 1.2M with call stipend)
cons- q2 call rare call back, Modesto
thoughts?

These is a new cardiac job in Modesto, CA
pro- 900K guaranteed (unto 1.2M with call stipend)
cons- q2 call rare call back, Modesto
thoughts?
That is California money, that probably equates to 450K elsewhere due to taxes, COL, etc.

Reactions: 3 users
425 hr is highest I've seen
Cut out the middle man (locums company) and u will get $550/hr.

But u need 3-4 docs all working in tandem as one unit to get those types of rates as their own company providing their own malpractice (malpractice really isn’t that expensive if u are making 80-100k consistently every month) even job sharing locums as ur own company.

But yes. $425-450/hr is usually the upper limit for 80% of the country when going through middle guy (locums company)

$750k-$1.1 million, 4 days a week, 8-4 or 5. No nights, call, or weekends. Pain management in the rural south.

Reactions: 5 users