Top Private Schools Screwed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was reading an article the other day, and premeds at top schools are screwed. In most ivy league classes, the curve is generally around a B+/A-. For all other schools, the curve is around a B-. Depending on the school and students, the premeds at top schools (ivy league rejects) are ****** and the other premeds (wide range) are good depending on how smart the pool of students are. In conclusion, shouldn't there be a better standard?
With your hubris, you don't deserve to make it to med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
She keeps changing that avatar.
At least her avatar now fits her entitled demeanor.
602626.jpg

No one is saying students from grade deflated schools like Princeton, MIT, UChicago will get adcom's boosting their GPA by ~0.6-0.8 points. That's unrealistic. Rather, in my experience, grade deflation normally hinders A- students (3.7) who consequently get a B+ (3.3). This 0.4 difference hits your GPA when you're only taking four classes (reducing your overall by about 0.1). So I don't imagine we would get much of a bump beyond 0.1-0.2 GPA points. If you're on the lower end of the affected range, you'll probably get ~0.2 GPA points higher. If you're on the higher end of the affected range, as in close to A-, you'll probably only get ~0.1 GPA points higher. These are just my approximations based on percentiles.

A ~3.66 GPA at Princeton is a ~3.8 GPA at Harvard (which has ridiculous grading, with the median grade an A- and the mode an A). So that's bumped literally in between a 0.1 to 0.2. And this is only relative to Harvard, keep that in mind.
Nah nah nah this has little to do with what I was saying. I was pointing out the comment by @43092 that "Sorry, but taking into account rigor and competition (the curve), it's not enough" for a 0.2 bump to those at tougher, more stingy schools. It's enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because, when I was at a state school some students sat there with their thumbs in their asses and got a B, but if you do that in an ivy league, you better accept your D with grace. But I understand, you should be able to at least get a B+ with some hard work, even though with that hard work you'd easily get an A somewhere else.

That sort of stuff even happens at the same school when some people get an easy professors and others are working like slaves under someone who holds you accountable for PhD level material. It's not fair, but id rather deal with that than poor attempts to even the playing field like the mcat, where 1-2 pts is enough to rob you of your chance to get admitted to schools you want.

Last edited:
In a class of 80-90 students, only 5 got As in my Pchem class...

Hi @PurpleLove again... You clearly can't get over this topic. Just drop out already and change schools.