top programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

binka_777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am trying to get everyone's opinion. i did a search of this forum and didn't see anything like this. what are the top ten neurosurgery programs?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

With the excpetion of one program, the "best" neurosurgery programs tend to be at the places with the "best" other programs; but of course it depends on who you ask. Some of the programs considered the "top" would include

Barrow (in Phoenix - they do their stuff at St. Joseph's Hospital)
MGH
Columbia
Johns Hopkins
UCSF
Mayo Clinic
Cleveland Clinic
Penn
Wash U
Michigan

Everyone's list is a bit different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is UCSD considered a competitive program? I here lots of latest findings coming out of San Diego. What's the truth?

Go to nsmatch.com for an exhaustive (and pointless) discussion on "top programs".....

Any California program is 'competitive' because so many people want to live there. I would guess that UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, and USC are considered 'higher-ranked' programs, whatever that might mean.

1. Barrow
1. columbia
1. UCSF
1. University of Washington

2. mgh=b&w - harvard

my list (based waht i heard from residents at columbia, harvard, and a couple of other schools).

a not-so-well-known program may have one attending that is a superstar, though.... you'd rather learn from him than from someone who got into neurosurg and then decided to concentrate on other hobbies.... wouldnt you?

program ranking is mainly based on research (basic and clinical) coming out of those departmetns. some medical schools may rank among the best, but may not have a very strong neurosurgery department.

(for those skeptical about b&w neurosurgery - until 3.5 years ago brigham and women's in boston was one of the WORST places to be (they had trouble finding residents). then dr. arc day joined them (was in florida before that) and look at the quality of their residents since....)

The famous Mayo Clinic is number # 1 according to US News rankings (Best Hospitals).