Top Schools with Grade Inflation? Grade Deflation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RAlec114

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

What schools (top 20 schools) have grade inflation or grade deflation? I would like to attend a rank 20 or below school, and a part of my decision in choosing one would be one without grade deflation, because as I've learned, GPA is huge for dental (and med) schools.

I've heard that Duke has a little grade inflation...

anyone want to chip in what they know? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone.

What schools (top 20 schools) have grade inflation or grade deflation? I would like to attend a rank 20 or below school, and a part of my decision in choosing one would be one without grade deflation, because as I've learned, GPA is huge for dental (and med) schools.

I've heard that Duke has a little grade inflation...

anyone want to chip in what they know? thanks

From my personal experience+observation, dental schools don't care too much about where you are coming from. The smartest way to go is to go to the easiest, and cheapest 4-year institution you can find, and get all A's and you are set for dschool. Top 20 school imo all have grade deflation, to get an A there is probably much harder than getting an A at a school ranked in the 50-100. But dschools will view the gpas the same

Or you could just study hard and earn your grades legitimately. If you don't have confidence that you can do well at any university, maybe a health career isn't for you. Just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually where you want to attend undergrad should depend on how strong their department is for your particular major. If you are thinking about majoring in one of the sciences then it would be wise to select a school with a strong science department and heavy research versus a liberal arts school.

Generally, students who attend these grade deflation schools might have GPA's of 3.3-3.4 but those students also usually have DAT scores of 20+.
DAT is what standardizes everyone at the end.

Generally, students who attend these grade deflation schools might have GPA's of 3.3-3.4 but those students also usually have DAT scores of 20+.

After looking at everyone dat scores this cycle 20+ is quite common. Seems you need a 23+ to stand out now.

After looking at everyone dat scores this cycle 20+ is quite common. Seems you need a 23+ to stand out now.

This happens every cycle. Welcome to SDN/predents.com

INflation: Harvard, Duke, USC, Yale, Brown; Most private schools

DEflation: UCs, Princeton, MIT, UChicago, public schools in general

add stanford to inflation list

but yeah, i would agree with the above poster, private schools tend to watch out for their students and go easy on the grading, while large public schools tend to weed out the competition

INflation: Harvard, Duke, USC, Yale, Brown; Most private schools

DEflation: UCs, Princeton, MIT, UChicago, public schools in general

Many people say harvard has grade inflation, but the kids who go there don't really need school to succeed... they are already strong and probably have already made significant contribution to their field of study already. They deserve to get A's, and yet they still have a B- average in some classes, that's deflation!

I studied at Harvard before, it was the toughest experience i have ever had, and since then i've developed a lot of respect for students who go there. I transferred to my 'state' school, and did school there, and that was much easier than at Harvard, but still there was competition. Now i study at a lower tier school to complete some pre-requisites, it's so easy, even though it's an accredited 4 year institution, it's almost impossible to get anything lower than 95%(yet the average for classes are still in the mid 70's to mid 80's, i guess my classmates don't study at all), the instructors pretty much test you on what you are taught, verbatim from the notes.

If you can't hack it at a bigger name school then you won't be able to hack it in a med/dent school...just my 2 cents.

Actually where you want to attend undergrad should depend on how strong their department is for your particular major. If you are thinking about majoring in one of the sciences then it would be wise to select a school with a strong science department and heavy research versus a liberal arts school.

DAT is a test you can spend a few weeks studying for, then get 20+, your gpa is going to be with you for life. schools like case, pittsburgh screen applicants by their gpa, anything below 3.5 is auto reject, so I would advise for you (OP) to go to the easiest 4 year institution you can find and get 4.0, that way you will get in almost anywhere. and as for DAT, just take a few weeks and get that 20 :).

If you can't hack it at a bigger name school then you won't be able to hack it in a med/dent school...just my 2 cents.

Dental/Med schools go by national standards, big name schools go by internal standards. At a top undergraduate program, you aren't learning things that are different, 1+1 still equals 2, but you are competing against your classmates, grades become a relative measure. That's why even though every one probably has a 2200+ SAT score and ranked top 3 in their class in high school, some are still getting B's in elite colleges.

As for dental schools, you aren't competing against your classmates to pass, you just need to pass boards, you will compete for rank, but many just put on the cruise control because eventually there's a high graduation rate.

For sure. I already know like 50 people with 23+ AA haha.

Hopefully the average will stay similar this year, too!

so ur saying an AVERAGE student at these schools with grade DEFLATION have GPAs of 3.3-3.4? so ur also saying that if u do just about average at these schools, u can get into some dental schools, as some "low-stat" dental schools have avg gpa of ~3.3-3.4?

Also, if an average GPA at schools with grade deflation is 3.3-3.4, then what do u suggest about the average GPA at schools w/ grade inflation? 3.5-3.6? no problem getting into dental schools at all if ur just average at some private school then...?:confused:

DAT is a test you can spend a few weeks studying for, then get 20+, your gpa is going to be with you for life. schools like case, pittsburgh screen applicants by their gpa, anything below 3.5 is auto reject, so I would advise for you (OP) to go to the easiest 4 year institution you can find and get 4.0, that way you will get in almost anywhere. and as for DAT, just take a few weeks and get that 20 :).

Is that for sure true????????
What are your sources for your claim????????

so ur saying an AVERAGE student at these schools with grade DEFLATION have GPAs of 3.3-3.4? so ur also saying that if u do just about average at these schools, u can get into some dental schools, as some "low-stat" dental schools have avg gpa of ~3.3-3.4?

Also, if an average GPA at schools with grade deflation is 3.3-3.4, then what do u suggest about the average GPA at schools w/ grade inflation? 3.5-3.6? no problem getting into dental schools at all if ur just average at some private school then...?:confused:

i dont consider an average of 3.3-3.4 to be deflation at all. at my school, there is grade deflation and the average for a science student is around 2.9. it did however make the DATs much more simple because i already studied my ass off on those subjects to do well in classes

that is definitely not true. look at predents.com and you can see the number of people at these schools that have below 3.5 gpa that get in

Is that for sure true????????
What are your sources for your claim????????

No it's not for sure true, there's exception to almost everything, but i got the 3.5 cutoff from speaking with Case reps.
AND if you look on predents, there are 5 people who got in with 3.5 or lower gpa, 3 of them have either overall or sci gpa of 3.5, so they don't count, this leaves 2 people who got in with below 3.5 gpa, one of them is from Harvard, that's the exception and the other dude MUST have something really special too, considering he only has a 3.4 gpa/21AA(nothing special) and still got interviews at 4 of the 6 schools he applied to.

No it's not for sure true, there's exception to almost everything, but i got the 3.5 cutoff from speaking with Case reps.
AND if you look on predents, there are 5 people who got in with 3.5 or lower gpa, 3 of them have either overall or sci gpa of 3.5, so they don't count, this leaves 2 people who got in with below 3.5 gpa, one of them is from Harvard, that's the exception and the other dude MUST have something really special too, considering he only has a 3.4 gpa/21AA(nothing special) and still got interviews at 4 of the 6 schools he applied to.

Wtf? I didn't realize there was a 3.5 cutoff for Case.. they should just list that on their site instead of just taking our money from us. The mean GPA on their website is listed as 3.35 but now I see that's from the 2003 entering class. Complete bull****!

I have a serious problem with treating an obviously subjective measurement like GPA in an objective manner. People will cry that they don't test well etc. but if you're going to pretend that the admissions process is fair and objective it should be based for the most part on an objective measure (the dat). Coming from a college that notoriously deflated grades, working like a dog in undergrad, and scoring in the 99 percentile with not much effort on the dat, I can attest that there is a huge discrepancy with the number many receive for their gpa and their dat. Until the day when admissions committees realize this, do yourself a favor and go to the lowest tier borderline junior college you can find if you know you want to do pre-med/pre-dental. It will be easier, you will have more fun and you will have an advantage over your peers.