Top-tier School List Reception of Letter of Interest, Pre-II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drugsasdf

Reaction score
Hi,

I have viewed numerous threads on this forum, mdapplicants & Reddit on the topic of Pre-II LOI. From what I have gathered every school varies on the reception of letters of interest. I have seen on mdapplicants, those who believe that their pre-II LOinterest helped get them an interview, from schools such as UC Irvine and TCOM.
I have received II from some top 20 and top 50 schools. I have some dream schools which that I have not heard back from. All of my secondaries were sent 1st or 2nd week of August, except for UCSF in 9/9. I know some top schools like Stanford do not accept application updates.
I am considering writing a letter of interest to Harvard, Yale, UCSF, JHU, Baylor.
In general, the topics I would like to discuss are similar to the successful LOInterest examples I've seen.
  1. Specifically, besides continuing research in my current lab, I attended and presented at a symposium; would this qualify as an update to include in a letter of interest?
  2. Would it be better to wait until I received my Fall 2019 grades in late December to early Jan before writing a Letter of Interest? I believe that this might be too late. I have a 3.8 GPA at a top 10-20 undergrad, 521 MCAT. I believe I will get a 4.0 this semester but I don't believe it will change my GPA drastically <.05.
  3. Do you think there can be any harm or benefit in writing a letter of interest to the aforementioned top tier schools?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
LOI will help you if you are on a waitlist and only if you are near the top IMO.

They won’t help you at all pre-II IMO. You showed your interest by completing your primary and secondary.

Edit: can this be moved to the appropriate section please

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted pub, new very good grades, national recognized prestigious awards, I see no harm in sending an update letter reconfirming why you are so passionate about that school and recent achievements as long as they don’t specifically say “no update letters” on their website. You can also call and ask the schools. However, based on previous threads on SDN, LOI should be sent only if you have an acceptance to another school, preferably more prestigious.

If anyone has success stories, maybe you could share your experience. Doubt there will be many.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted pub, new very good grades, national recognized prestigious awards, I see no harm in sending an update letter reconfirming why you are so passionate about that school and recent achievements as long as they don’t specifically say “no update letters” on their website. You can also call and ask the schools. However, based on previous threads on SDN, LOI should be sent only if you have an acceptance to another school, preferably more prestigious.

If anyone has success stories, maybe you could share your experience. Doubt there will be many.

But how would a school even know if you have another A? They cannot see your other acceptances till they accept you right? From the applicant's point of view, isn't in his/her best interest to send a loi to their top choice regardless?

At the end of the day, your secondary serves as your LOI. It’s premature to send an additional letter if you haven’t even received an II. If you haven’t been invited for an interview, it’s clearly for a reason.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi,

I have viewed numerous threads on this forum, mdapplicants & Reddit on the topic of Pre-II LOI. From what I have gathered every school varies on the reception of letters of interest. I have seen on mdapplicants, those who believe that their pre-II LOinterest helped get them an interview, from schools such as UC Irvine and TCOM.
I have received II from some top 20 and top 50 schools. I have some dream schools which that I have not heard back from. All of my secondaries were sent 1st or 2nd week of August, except for UCSF in 9/9. I know some top schools like Stanford do not accept application updates.
I am considering writing a letter of interest to Harvard, Yale, UCSF, JHU, Baylor.
In general, the topics I would like to discuss are similar to the successful LOInterest examples I've seen.
  1. Specifically, besides continuing research in my current lab, I attended and presented at a symposium; would this qualify as an update to include in a letter of interest?
  2. Would it be better to wait until I received my Fall 2019 grades in late December to early Jan before writing a Letter of Interest? I believe that this might be too late. I have a 3.8 GPA at a top 10-20 undergrad, 521 MCAT. I believe I will get a 4.0 this semester but I don't believe it will change my GPA drastically <.05.
  3. Do you think there can be any harm or benefit in writing a letter of interest to the aforementioned top tier schools?

I'm pretty sure HMS thinks they are everyone's 1st choice!
When we get a "LOI" we presume one was sent to every school you applied to.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Thanks for your reply. I think you’re referring to letter of intent when you mention an acceptance to another school, right?
I believe a letter of interest is more along the lines of reaffirming your interest and an update letter. Would presenting at a symposium with a prestigious lab qualify as an update?

Hi,

Your app IS your LOI.

Those people who think that their LOIs had any effect have poor understanding of the concept of cause and effect.

Reactions: 5 users
UCSF doesn’t accept updates after secondary submission, iirc; your secondary is your opportunity for any updates.

Your app IS your LOI.

Those people who think that their LOIs had any effect have poor understanding of the concept of cause and effect.

If someone had acceptances to highly ranked/prestigious schools and their top choice was much lower-ranked, would sending an LOI mentioning that they would choose that school over the others have an effect?