Update letter/letter of interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yayparty112

Reaction score
Hi there! Obviously nearing mid-January and I have yet to hear from 23 schools (2 of which are interview hold). I have a few questions about letters of interest generally and whether it would be worth it for me to send them to the schools I haven't heard from since submitting my secondary. At this point, I'm prepping to reapply but considering sending some just in case it may help in any capacity.

First general questions:
- Where can I find what schools accept vs. don't accept update letters/letters of interest? What schools are known to typically appreciate and significantly consider update letters?
- What do you typically include in an update letter? Should I also include why I am interested in the school or strictly leave it to updates?
- How long should an update letter be?
- How do you send the letter? Do you just email it to the admissions office or do you have to go through the school's portal?

Personal:
- Is it worth it at this point in the cycle to send or just let it be?
I have recently begun working as an MA at a pediatrics office--increasing my clinical hours from what I had when I submitted. I also am nearing publication (final edits etc.) on a paper where I will be the second author.

If it's worth it should I wait until I'm published/the paper is accepted for review? If that's not until the end of Jan is that too late?

Sorry for so many questions hahaha I appreciate any advice:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! Obviously nearing mid-January and I have yet to hear from 23 schools (2 of which are interview hold). I have a few questions about letters of interest generally and whether it would be worth it for me to send them to the schools I haven't heard from since submitting my secondary. At this point, I'm prepping to reapply but considering sending some just in case it may help in any capacity.

First general questions:
- Where can I find what schools accept vs. don't accept update letters/letters of interest? What schools are known to typically appreciate and significantly consider update letters?
- What do you typically include in an update letter? Should I also include why I am interested in the school or strictly leave it to updates?
- How long should an update letter be?
- How do you send the letter? Do you just email it to the admissions office or do you have to go through the school's portal?

Personal:
- Is it worth it at this point in the cycle to send or just let it be?
I have recently begun working as an MA at a pediatrics office--increasing my clinical hours from what I had when I submitted. I also am nearing publication (final edits etc.) on a paper where I will be the second author.

If it's worth it should I wait until I'm published/the paper is accepted for review? If that's not until the end of Jan is that too late?

Sorry for so many questions hahaha I appreciate any advice:)
I have many of the same questions. Would you share any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have many of the same questions. Would you share any advice?
I sent update-only letters to my top 3 schools of those I haven't heard from after researching which schools accept vs. don't accept updates--found that info on their websites (typically under FAQ) or the actual application portal. Figured it couldn't hurt even if it doesn't do anything positive :)

Reactions: 1 user