Letter of interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThanosThighs

Reaction score
I am planning on writing a letter of interest for one of my top schools that I have not heard from since submitting my secondary and wanted some insight on what kinds of updates would be acceptable to put in the letter. Are new hobbies appropriate? I started learning to play the guitar and to learn Japanese. I don't have any major updates, but this isn't necessarily an update letter it's a letter of interest. Any feedback on a good letter of interest would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking whether the fact that you can now kind of play a couple of chords on the guitar is likely to get you a medical school interview?

We all get it, waiting is painful and it would be nice to feel like you have any control over the process. But really short of a publication or award, there isn't a good reason to think that a simple letter of interest is going to move the needle. They know you're interested because you filled out the secondary and paid the fee, just like all the other applicants who are interested in the school. Hopefully the "why" was well conveyed in your secondary essays, so I would avoid repeating yourself and making yourself look desperate.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I started learning to play the guitar and to learn Japanese. I don't have any major updates, but this isn't necessarily an update letter it's a letter of interest.
How does this matter to the mission of the school? In other words, why is this important?

You have made your case with your application, and like everyone else, you may just have to wait.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you asking whether the fact that you can now kind of play a couple of chords on the guitar is likely to get you a medical school interview?

We all get it, waiting is painful and it would be nice to feel like you have any control over the process. But really short of a publication or award, there isn't a good reason to think that a simple letter of interest is going to move the needle. They know you're interested because you filled out the secondary and paid the fee, just like all the other applicants who are interested in the school. Hopefully the "why" was well conveyed in your secondary essays, so I would avoid repeating yourself and making yourself look desperate.
Thank you for the honest feedback! Yeah I guess that's reaching, I am a little desperate lol

How does this matter to the mission of the school? In other words, why is this important?

You have made your case with your application, and like everyone else, you may just have to wait.
I guess I was just reading about letters of interest and it says to put anything you have been doing to better yourself, but I understand what you are saying. Thinking about again, I won't send one haha. Thank you for your response!

I am planning on writing a letter of interest for one of my top schools that I have not heard from since submitting my secondary and wanted some insight on what kinds of updates would be acceptable to put in the letter. Are new hobbies appropriate? I started learning to play the guitar and to learn Japanese. I don't have any major updates, but this isn't necessarily an update letter it's a letter of interest. Any feedback on a good letter of interest would be appreciated, thanks!
They know you're interested because you sent them an application.

So don't waste their time or yours.