-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Topics for diversity essay?
Started by hexane19
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
What do you think is a better topic for a diversity essay?
1. Medical assistant at a free clinic
2. I've done volunteer work abroad
3. I have an MBS degree?
Is this seriously your talking points for diversity? I mean I was expecting something a little more... interesting.
I am not trying to be rude, but mabye I don't understand the word "Diversity". Are they looking for "different" diversity, or just something some of the applicants won't have.
I would choose MBS. Most people don't get this degree.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I kind of like the MBS degree if you can spin it in a way that it offeres you a unique perspective on medicine that others might not have.
The other two could work if you did a good job of talking about how it has given you experience working with specific patient populations or cultures and has increased your understanding of them, but a lot of people are going to have these experiences as well.
I strugged with the diversity essays for a while and still don't know if I took the right approach, but just try to focus on what makes you different from other applicants.
The other two could work if you did a good job of talking about how it has given you experience working with specific patient populations or cultures and has increased your understanding of them, but a lot of people are going to have these experiences as well.
I strugged with the diversity essays for a while and still don't know if I took the right approach, but just try to focus on what makes you different from other applicants.
Question: MBS is master in business and science, am I correct?
1. Medical assistant at a free clinic
Agree with Goro, especially if the free clinic catered heavily to minority demographics. It shows you potentially have experience working with cultures other than your own.
While MBS isn't something 'most' applicants have, it's become much more common than many might expect.
Volunteer work abroad is only a good topic if you've made multiple trips, preferably to the same country or region as it shows ongoing dedication instead of just a medical vacation.
While MBS isn't something 'most' applicants have, it's become much more common than many might expect.
Volunteer work abroad is only a good topic if you've made multiple trips, preferably to the same country or region as it shows ongoing dedication instead of just a medical vacation.
OP, My apology. I do not mean to hijack your thread.
@Goro is ICNA relief free clinic catered towards minority demographics!! I don't know if it fits the bill.
@Goro is ICNA relief free clinic catered towards minority demographics!! I don't know if it fits the bill.
If either the free clinic or the abroad experience (or maybe other experiences while growing up) gave you detailed knowledge of cultural groups outside your comfort zone, I'd pick that to talk about.What do you think is a better topic for a diversity essay?
1. Medical assistant at a free clinic
2. I've done volunteer work abroad
3. I have an MBS degree?
Is it possible to talk about all three?
Many diversity essays are 1k charactersIs it possible to talk about all three?
No to hijack the thread, but what do people think of playing high level college athletics for this topic?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What did ya'll write about?
I wrote about my background as a competitive dancer + playing all sports
then I also talked about growing up in medically underserved area
Is the free clinic think actually good to talk about? Or is it just the best of what I have?
Bump
I'm struggling with my diversity things too, but I guess just pick something that is an example of how your life and your experiences and the way your mind works is different from other pre-meds AND it can't already be talked about at length in your primary.
I also like #1 if you haven't already talked about it.
I also like #1 if you haven't already talked about it.
What did ya'll write about?
I wrote about my psychology background and perspective on mental illness (not from my own personal experience with it though) and how that gives me a different perspective on medicine.
I think the free clinic idea would be great. Try it out, and if you don't like how it turns out you can try one of the others, but I think that's a good topic.
I vote #2.
I talked about my family life and growing up-which is pretty unique compared to most other families.
I talked about my family life and growing up-which is pretty unique compared to most other families.
Do you think its worth talking about growing up as a bi-ethnic/racial family?
I think so!!