Topics I don't want to see on my test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found a similar thread from a few years ago --- it might be fun to hear what everyone despises. :D

I'll start: porphyria

Members don't see this ad.

# of Blocks a child should be able to stack by age 14 and 1/2 months

Members don't see this ad :)
antiarrhythmics

i swear the only purpose for these drugs are just to quiz us on the side effects.

lysosomal storage diseases...hell, any inborn error of metabolism and i'm screwed.

metabolic syndrome and diabetes

oh wait you see that all the time nevermind

Members don't see this ad :)
yes 100% agree, I am okay at biochem, but man catch me off gaurd on this subject and its all downhill from there.

developmental milestones besides walking and toilet training.....the usmle can stack those blocks up their *&$....

great minds think alike winsicle...
same here..
also cts an mris of arteries an blood supply
:scared:

Ridiculous molecular bio junk...sonic hedgehog was a good video game back in the day, but wtf does that damn shh thing really do (looks like it could be involved in a crap-load of syndromes I don't want to see on my test).

nuclear characteristics of various viridae (DNA vs RNA, segmented, continuous, etc etc). i just can't seem to keep that crap together in my head.

exam or not, i can tell you some things i never want to see period: namely, figure 22-8 in RR pathology . . . what a sh***y life that would be. breaks my heart and makes me count my stars everytime i see it . . . .

nuclear characteristics of various viridae (DNA vs RNA, segmented, continuous, etc etc). i just can't seem to keep that crap together in my head.

exam or not, i can tell you some things i never want to see period: namely, figure 22-8 in RR pathology . . . what a sh***y life that would be. breaks my heart and makes me count my stars everytime i see it . . . .
hmm...don't have the book w/ me....but I'll take a wild guess that its the nasty cushings pic?

i bet those usmle test writers are reading these forums and laughing as we speak. :D

Brachial plexus ... I know I'm being a wuss, but I hate that stupid thing. Oh, and M1-M7 bite.

Anything that relies on me identifying stuff in the brain stem or spinal cord. I just can't seem to remember what goes where.

I second antiarrhythmics and porphyrias. Urobilinogen bull****e.
Also, chromosomes and oncogenes.

Lol I always get those wrong because I pick the sensible one.

haha...no kidding, my "favorite" so far has been a question on either qbank or uw. it was something like..man comes in the ER with miserable chest pain, nearly dying and can barely speak...turning blue(exaggeration). What do you say next?

Correct answer: "Will you please tell me more about your pain?"

1. How do you treat rare helminth X?
(The answer I would want to put, if it was a choice: Call the ID consult.)

2. A guy comes in with blisters. What is the diagnosis?
(I swear some of those skin lesion questions give you just about this much information and expect you to know the answer.)

3. Anything that has an electron microscopy picture.

An astronaut is instructed to run everyday during his stay in the space station (I think about muscle atrophy). The moons on jupiter spins at gazillion miles per hour and the astronaut has cramps. (Ok... weird... I think random stuff + hyperkalemia or calcemia). The lab results are as follows:

yadda
yadda
yadda
hyperkalemia
yadda

How does drug X work to correct hyperkalcemia?

I feel T-boned when I run across questions like this. I now don't read the last sentence first.

Reactions: 1 user
1. HLA types other than B27
2. Antigen IDs correlating w/ various tropical diseses (O1, VW, WTF)
3. Cancer Drugs
4. Equations
5. Tanner stages
6. Intricacies of plating and culturing bacteria

Should look at the first aid virus section, I had the same problem until i read that.
I just took my exam on friday but what I didn't want to see was anatomy of the pelvis and perineum...and luckily i didn't

rat bite fever

My grandpa was in the Korean war and was actually telling me last week how some folks got sick eating food that rats had ate off of. I remembered that exact QBank question.

Took it Saturday before yesterday. Didn't want to see anything kinetics or receptor related. Still saw it though.

Let's play-"does the patient have hepatits B?"
Is he immune? active? chronic? how bout the window period? hmmm....

I don't want to see any questions where the answer is a table of possible reactions.

E.g. Renin inc/ATII inc/FF dec;Renin dec/ATII inc/FF dec; Renin inc/ATII dec/FF dec etc.

Those always kill me :(