toprol xL 100mg is scored...can it be cut?

Started by newera
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

newera

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As some of you in retail might know, the genric toprol xl has been on back order and my partner decided to give the 100mg toprol xl and ask the patient to cut it in half. I had some doubts. Note: it is a scored tablet.
 
As some of you in retail might know, the genric toprol xl has been on back order and my partner decided to give the 100mg toprol xl and ask the patient to cut it in half. I had some doubts. Note: it is a scored tablet.

The answer is.........no.

Strike that, my go-to reference has perhaps failed me. One minute please.
 
As some of you in retail might know, the genric toprol xl has been on back order and my partner decided to give the 100mg toprol xl and ask the patient to cut it in half. I had some doubts. Note: it is a scored tablet.


I worked last night and a patient brought in a script for toprol xl 50mg. The insurance only covers its generic form: Metoprolol Succinate ER 50mg.

We didn't have the full amount and I was only able to order a bottle of the generic form (50mg tablets) from McKesson order online.

I'm a tech and I'm wondering what a scored tablet? thanks

If you can only order the 50mg tablets, can you double up to give a dose of two 50mg tablets (=100mg)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah its one of the exceptions for some reason. I have gotten plenty of scripts written for metoprolol er 50mg or 100mg to take 1/2 tab.
 
You can divide it because it uses a unique extended release formulation. It uses spheres or something like that.