Toradol and New Moms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fval28

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone using toradol for post csxn patients who are breast feeding? I am aware of the black box warning and have not been prescribing it for that reason but our OB's and Pedi's are saying they are OK with it- of course they defer writing it to us:) As of yet have not written for it but I'm wondering if I'm being too conservative? What opinions are there?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the black box warning is the result of data about toradol's effect on very premature nicu babies...we write them.

It's on our pre-printed postop epidural orders for breakthrough pain.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's on our pre-printed postop epidural orders for breakthrough pain.

ours too- i've been crossing it out and i am in the process of re-writing our orders and want to know whether or not to include it. seems the consensus thus far is that i'm being a bit of a scaredy-cat...

Do any of you guys give Toradol intra-op (i.e. during the c-section, once the baby is delivered)?

Some of my colleagues do and swear by it. But I haven't been particularly pushed one way or the other. And the OB's don't usually care unless the patient is quite oozy.

I ask the ANES to give the IVP of Tordol when I ask for the PIT to be started.

ntubebate

I most always give it during closure unless there has been complaints of oozing, the EBLO is excessive or if I have had to give supplemental agents (hemabate, methergine) for uterine tone.