Torn about my top choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cho15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to write a letter of intent for my top choice school, however one thing keeps haunting me in the back of my mind. I kind of screwed up my undergraduate experience due to a relationship that carried over from high school into undergrad. In a nutshell, both of us ended up at the same undergrad, I was overly attached to him and as a result, spent all my time either with him or studying. I didn't get involved on campus for the first two years and this resulted in a lack of any real friends, just random acquaintances and after two years, it's kind of hard to just hop into someone's group of friends. Anyways, I'm really upset at myself for screwing up such a great opportunity to meet new people and enjoy my time at such a great institution. So, what does this have to do with med school? Well, I really want to go to my in-state school, close to family, but some people who were part of that "awkward/disaster" stage of undergrad may be going there or are there already. I've learned from my past mistakes and want to be able to forge close relationships with the people in my class, but I feel like having old acquaintances/roommates that I didn't really get along with in the same incoming class would make it a lot harder. This may sound silly to some of you, but I'd really appreciate any advice/words of wisdom/reasoning any of you have to offer. Am I being too paranoid? I really had quite a rotten time in undergrad and I just don't want to repeat that ever again.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about to write a letter of intent for my top choice school, however one thing keeps haunting me in the back of my mind. I kind of screwed up my undergraduate experience due to a relationship that carried over from high school into undergrad. In a nutshell, both of us ended up at the same undergrad, I was overly attached to him and as a result, spent all my time either with him or studying. I didn't get involved on campus for the first two years and this resulted in a lack of any real friends, just random acquaintances and after two years, it's kind of hard to just hop into someone's group of friends. Anyways, I'm really upset at myself for screwing up such a great opportunity to meet new people and enjoy my time at such a great institution. So, what does this have to do with med school? Well, I really want to go to my in-state school, close to family, but some people who were part of that "awkward/disaster" stage of undergrad may be going there or are there already. I've learned from my past mistakes and want to be able to forge close relationships with the people in my class, but I feel like having old acquaintances/roommates that I didn't really get along with in the same incoming class would make it a lot harder. This may sound silly to some of you, but I'd really appreciate any advice/words of wisdom/reasoning any of you have to offer. Am I being too paranoid? I really had quite a rotten time in undergrad and I just don't want to repeat that ever again.

Why not worry about this AFTER getting accepted? Seems like the cart's b4 the horse..

Aside from this, having old friends at school X and making new friends at school X and CERTAINLY NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. So yes u're worrying about nothing.

Why not worry about this AFTER getting accepted? Seems like the cart's b4 the horse..

Aside from this, having old friends at school X and making new friends at school X and CERTAINLY NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. So yes u're worrying about nothing.

Well if I'm writing a letter of intent, then I'm saying I'm definitely going to that school if accepted so I would like be as confident in my decision to write this letter as I can, hence asking for some advice/opinions. So I don't think it matters whether or not I have been accepted yet. Secondly, it would be nice if you weren't so harsh, it seems as though the important characteristic of compassion is missing from you. I hope that others won't be as cold.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have another choice or two at schools you like? My thoughts: first, don't go to a school JUST to get away from certain people, and don't NOT go to a school because of certain people. You WILL meet new people regardless. Choose a school based on fit, curriculum, money, etc. (i.e. things that are important in the long run).

Well if I'm writing a letter of intent, then I'm saying I'm definitely going to that school if accepted so I would like be as confident in my decision to write this letter as I can, hence asking for some advice/opinions. So I don't think it matters whether or not I have been accepted yet. Secondly, it would be nice if you weren't so harsh, it seems as though the important characteristic of compassion is missing from you. I hope that others won't be as cold.

I apologize if I hurt ur feelings, that wasn't my goal. I guess I could have worded my response differently. I didn't realize i came off harsh, my bad...

I'm very compassionate and love to help people. I think my post history will show that (minus the political posts ...:laugh::laugh:)

Anyway, my advice remains the same. I don't think you should be worrying about this at this stage. If you really like the school, write the letter if u end up matriculating, I'm sure you'll be fine socially, notwithstanding your old friends. If you had a falling out with these old friends and u can't "stand them" then that's another matter then...

Best of luck!!

I apologize if I hurt ur feelings, that wasn't my goal. I guess I could have worded my response differently. I didn't realize i came off harsh, my bad...

I'm very compassionate and love to help people. I think my post history will show that (minus the political posts ...:laugh::laugh:)

Anyway, my advice remains the same. I don't think you should be worrying about this at this stage. If you really like the school, write the letter if u end up matriculating, I'm sure you'll be fine socially, notwithstanding your old friends. If you had a falling out with these old friends and u can't "stand them" then that's another matter then...

Best of luck!!

I do appreciate your apology. Thank you for your additional input. I hope I receive some more responses before sending out this letter. :scared:

Being happy is more important.

If I were you, I would want to start afresh.
After all, they are your friends already right?

Its time to make more friends!

i'd be more worried about the fit of the school. unless these people were harassing or abusing you, your decision shouldn't have anything to do with them (and if they were really horrible people, then by all means get away! although i don't get that impression at all from you, i'm just putting that out there). wherever you end up, you'll develop friendships with people, if you can manage to make the time to do so.

The best thing to do...in ANY situation...is play it cool. If you just act like nothing ever happened, you'll be fine. If anyone brings it up, brush it off and say "oh that's in the past" and move on. At worst you're looking at someone teasing you after a few drinks.

Med school classes are usually big enough that you'll be able to associate with one group of friends and ignore another group of people. However, you will be in the same room with those people for lectures and labs, or may rotate with them during your clinical years so it's not like you can completely remove yourself from their presence.

Since you haven't been accepted to a med school yet (I think?), if I were in your position, I wouldn't even think about that. It would be more important for me to just get into a med school than worrying about people from my past. If you have a selection of med schools to choose from, it would obviously be different. However, I have no idea what the disaster was that happened in undergrad, so I can't say for certain if my advice is the best.