Torn between Berkeley and SCCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alferec

Future Army OD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already been accepted to SCCO, and Berkeley recently invited me for an interview. But I was thinking, if I get accepted to Berkeley, I don't know which school to choose! Both are very good schools, but I keep thinking about how Berkeley has such a great reputation in both the field of optometry and in acadamia. Then again, SCCO has an excellent location in a more surburban environment, while Berkeley is noticeably more crowded and seems to have a higher cost of living (I personally don't like the environment that much and will probably live outside of the city if anything). Oh and if I decide to commute, I heard that I will have to deal with Berkeley's terrible parking problem!!! :(

Could anybody give their input/firsthand experience on these schools? Which school would you choose any why so? Any kind of feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

alferec said:
Oh and if I decide to commute, I heard that I will have to deal with Berkeley's terrible parking problem!!! :(
Commuting to the campus is actually very easy. If you live close to a BART station, you can park there (or walk). The station is an easy walk to Minor Hall. In my 3rd year, I bought a used motorcycle. You can park for free in designated areas. One of the areas is within 200 yards of the Optometry school.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=921839#post921839

It’s a bit weird to read my response to the same question over 2 years ago. =)

I still stand by my opinion that both schools are great and it will be a personal choice about which school you want to attend.

Yes, parking is pretty bad here since they closed a parking lot most of the optometry school students park at this year (which we only found out a month before classes started). It’s not impossible to find parking since classes during the first year start at 8am. I have several friends who commute from SF by car and don’t mind the commute. During the first two years, I would say the majority of my classmates took the bus to school (which is “free” through your school fees). When we needed to bring more equipment to lab and when we started clinic, almost everyone either drives to school or carpools. Definitely having a motorcycle will make things more convenient since you can park closer to Minor Hall. If you live within a distance that you can bike to school, there are several bike racks around the optometry school as well.

One final thing to consider, if you decide to live off campus and drive to school, the parking & transportation office will only sell you a parking permit if you live outside a 2 mile radius of the campus (verified by your lease or an electricity bill). However, there are ways around that if you need to know.

A few of my classmates still commute by BART, which is not too far from Minor Hall. I took BART once and it took me about 15 minutes to walk to Minor Hall from there (perhaps I’m a slow walker?). There are also buses that circle around the BART stop and the campus and campus shuttles are available if you don’t want to walk also. BART is located near the west campus entrance while the optometry school is location towards the stadium.

Best of luck on your interview,

Rosanna

Rosanna, thanks for your reply. You're so awesome!!! I just read your UCBSO FAQ page and mannn that is one heck of a resource. It gives me a much better perspective now. Thanks again!!!