Torn Between University of Arizona and University of Colorado - Denver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gkberger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking for some insight that could possibly help me decide between these two PharmD programs. I have been accepted to both the University of Arizona CoP (where I did my undergrad) and the University of Colorado-Denver Skaggs CoP. I have had the U of A experience and I'm over Tucson, however U of A is an excellent school and it is cheaper (in state tuition and cost of living).

Denver is a much cooler city and I would really prefer to live there, however it will take me a year to gain residency status (a $15k tuition premium for that first year) and cost of living runs about $300 more per month.

When it comes down to it, I suppose I am deciding between the two programs. When I interviewed at U of A things felt disorganized and disconnected from campus. However when I interviewed at Denver, it was my best interviewing experience by far.

Thanks in advance and I hope everything is going well for everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking for some insight that could possibly help me decide between these two PharmD programs. I have been accepted to both the University of Arizona CoP (where I did my undergrad) and the University of Colorado-Denver Skaggs CoP. I have had the U of A experience and I'm over Tucson, however U of A is an excellent school and it is cheaper (in state tuition and cost of living).

Denver is a much cooler city and I would really prefer to live there, however it will take me a year to gain residency status (a $15k tuition premium for that first year) and cost of living runs about $300 more per month.

When it comes down to it, I suppose I am deciding between the two programs. When I interviewed at U of A things felt disorganized and disconnected from campus. However when I interviewed at Denver, it was my best interviewing experience by far.

Thanks in advance and I hope everything is going well for everyone!

Not everyone might agree with me, but the money difference in this case is a menial factor in deciding where to go to school. That amount wouldn't be enough to make much of a dent in the long run and basing a choice of lifestyle and preference on that point would lead me to regret my decision immensely if things didn't go as well as I hoped. Denver's a beautiful city and Colorado is a great academic institution as is Arizona. Both are highly regarded programs.

I couldn't imagine spending 4 years at a program located somewhere I was totally over. Both are great programs and your earning capacity will be nearly identical wherever you go. Since you went to undergrad at Arizona and seem to want a change, Denver is a completely different place where you can meet many new people and is very different than Tucson. Denver's COP would probably fulfill that want for change and feeling of progress you'd like to see. Being somewhere that makes you happy makes it a lot easier to do well in other facets of your life. Again, just my thoughts. Thankfully, I'm still in love Tucson and I'm very excited to spend another few years here!

GL and congrats!

Not everyone might agree with me, but the money difference in this case is a menial factor in deciding where to go to school. That amount wouldn't be enough to make much of a dent in the long run and basing a choice of lifestyle and preference on that point would lead me to regret my decision immensely if things didn't go as well as I hoped. Denver's a beautiful city and Colorado is a great academic institution as is Arizona. Both are highly regarded programs.

I couldn't imagine spending 4 years at a program located somewhere I was totally over. Both are great programs and your earning capacity will be nearly identical wherever you go. Since you went to undergrad at Arizona and seem to want a change, Denver is a completely different place where you can meet many new people and is very different than Tucson. Denver's COP would probably fulfill that want for change and feeling of progress you'd like to see. Being somewhere that makes you happy makes it a lot easier to do well in other facets of your life. Again, just my thoughts. Thankfully, I'm still in love Tucson and I'm very excited to spend another few years here!

GL and congrats!

Thanks for the input FarmA - you make a lot of good points. I suppose I would just feel wrong about choosing Denver over U of A when U of A has such an excellent reputation. Then again, as you said, I will probably regret my decision not to go in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input FarmA - you make a lot of good points. I suppose I would just feel wrong about choosing Denver over U of A when U of A has such an excellent reputation. Then again, as you said, I will probably regret my decision not to go in the long run.

A lot would depend on what you'd like to do after. If you wanted to pursue a dual-degree or master's, I think UA's program is quite well established. Both Denver and UA are "ranked" in the top 20 I believe. From what I've heard from others, there's really very little distinguishing Arizona and CU-Denver as both are highly regarded. I would base my decision more on how I see my next 4 years unfolding, the people I'd spend those 4 years with, the place I would live in those 4 years, and the out of class activities I'd be involved in, whether it be related to pharmacy or hobbies. I'd just take into consideration the interests you have academically, professionally, and personally and envision yourself and your life unfolding at both schools.

It's definitely a tough choice, but you are still fortunate to have two great schools to choose from. #pharmschooladmissionproblems

I would like to add here that just make sure that when you make your decision, you are able to be at peace with it. I was faced with a similar decision earlier this year (I was deciding between CU and another, in-state school) and, like you, I reached out for advice. Of course, different people would give me different advice, each reflecting their own priorities. I was really confused and torn between the two schools because both were great programs but had their own unique perks too. So it was definitely a hard decision. At the end of the day I really had to sit down, weigh the pros and cons for me personally, and make sure that the decision I was making was MY decision. Withdrawing my acceptance from Colorado was the hardest thing but I knew that I had made the right decision for myself.