Torn Cartilage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennyO

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks!

Just wanted some feedback on a surgical procedure I am having next week. I will be having arthroscopic knee surgery in order to have torn cartilage removed. I injured my knee at work about 8 months ago and it's been causing a lot pain.

Has anyone else had this procedure done for torn cartilage? If so, how long did it take you to recover? How long were you in crutches for and how is your knee now? Back to normal, I hope!

Well any feedback you could give me would be great!
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hey jenny:
Which meniscus did you tear? I tore my lateral meniscus in '96, but I heard the medial one is a little longer recovery. I went under general anasthesia and it took less than an hour. i was on crutches for a little less than a week and then it took about 5 weeks to get full range of motion and function. One of the worst things is that your leg muscles atrophy, so you have to rebuild all the muscle in your leg. the best advice I can give you is keep up on the physical therapy, because the excersises and the electrical stimulation they want you to do really help. Now, (and for the past few years) my knee has been fine. Now I have to worry about the OTHER knee... If you need to, you can send me an email. good luck, you'll be fine.
Luca

I've had surgery on both knees for torn cartilage (also lateral in both). Recovery time depends a lot on whether they have to do a full incision rather than just arthroscopic-this depends on the size of the piece they remove, and whether they repair rather than remove. I had a incision and removal on one, and was off crutches in a few days, and an incision and repair on the other, and was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks (NOT fun!, but hopefully I'll avoid arthritis). The key to recovery is good PT-stick with it and make sure they prescribe it for you.

Good luck!! You can pm me also if you'd like more info.

I'm also having arthoscopic surgery to repair my torn medial miniscus on my right knee. I'll also probably have regular surgery to remove some osteochondroma on the back of the knee. The doctor said 3-6 weeks of recovery. Is this realistic? I hope so, as I'm starting med school about 6 weeks after surgery.
In addition, can one tear the cartilage further? I tore it in December, don't do strenuous activties, but am worried about everyday wear and tear. Also, is arthritis common in knee after such a surgery?

Thanks for your replies guys.