Tornadoes, should I be concerned?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blanky

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not someone to worry or be typically high stressed. Having said that my Wife has some newfound concerns seeing as we have a newborn son. We have lived in Florida all our lives and hurricanes are a non-issue as we have been through them and always get a couple of days notice before being hit by one. As most of the top DO programs seem to be in the highest frequency tornado areas, I'm unsure if this is something I should be worried about. KCU, DMU, PCOM, and AT Still are my top choices for DO.

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve lived in Des Moines my entire life and there’s a few warnings a year but nothing that’s actually damaged anything in the city

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tornadoes happen (there’s a town a few hours away from my school that just got hit and had injuries), but they aren’t that bad. Don’t freak out.

As a FL native myself, I can say that hurricanes are worse.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. By the way congrats on the acceptance!

I'm not someone to worry or be typically high stressed. Having said that my Wife has some newfound concerns seeing as we have a newborn son. We have lived in Florida all our lives and hurricanes are a non-issue as we have been through them and always get a couple of days notice before being hit by one. As most of the top DO programs seem to be in the highest frequency tornado areas, I'm unsure if this is something I should be worried about. KCU, DMU, PCOM, and AT Still are my top choices for DO.
It's a reality. KCU-Joplin was delayed for years after a tornado clobbered the city, and Wm Carey was partially destroyed by a tornado about 2-3 years ago.

You're going to have natural hazard issues no matter where you live.

UNECOM: blizzards
TouroNY, NYITCOM, Rowan: hurricanes, blizzards
CCOM, DMU: blizzards, extreme winters
TCOM, OKCOM, DMU: tornadoes, hail, drought, blazing summers
Western, Touros-CA: earthquakes, drought, fires
AZCOM, BCOM, SOMA: scorching summers
KCOM, ACOM, Wm Carey have to worry about the New Madrid fault too.

Reactions: 4 users
I know, I think its just new mother worries. Thanks for the quick overview of schools though :)

The damage done by any one tornado is usually akin to throwing a dart at map.

The dart on the map analogy is spot on. Hurricanes hit a large amount of area, where tornadoes hit MAYBE 1 square mile at most, if its huge and moving fast. And the thunderstorms that exist usually aren't that damaging. For reference, I've lived in Iowa basically my whole life (minus 1 of my 29 years.) and I've never actually seen a tornado in person. Of my parents, who've both lived in Iowa (grew up in different areas of the state) their whole 60 years, only one of them has been in a tornado. I also haven't had to run to the basement more than a handful of times (which never resulted in any property damage). Most of us actually go outside to see whats going on when severe storms hit lol. Oklahoma/Kansas seems to get hit a lot worse than Iowa/Missouri.

If a tornado decides to kill you, you are dead.

But the odds are very low

It's a reality. KCU-Joplin was delayed for years after a tornado clobbered the city, and Wm Carey was partially destroyed by a tornado about 2-3 years ago.

You're going to have natural hazard issues no matter where you live.

UNECOM: blizzards
TouroNY, NYITCOM, Rowan: hurricanes, blizzards
CCOM, DMU: blizzards, extreme winters
TCOM, OKCOM, DMU: tornadoes, hail, drought, blazing summers
Western, Touros-CA: earthquakes, drought, fires
AZCOM, BCOM, SOMA: scorching summers
KCOM, ACOM, Wm Carey have to worry about the New Madrid fault too.
Having lived south of Iowa and north, if it's not -40 and doesnt snow at least a foot every week in the winter, it is not extreme winter. I dont think Des Moines gets any close to that.

I think it's very mild winter.

DMU isn't that bad, the only place I would be seriously worried would be KCU-Joplin. I live right in tornado alley and it isn't that bad, although I say that and my house was hit by a small tornado literally two weeks after moving here lol.

Out of all the natural disasters, tornadoes are the only ones that single people out. Earthquake? Everyone in your city is screwed. Hurricane? Everyone in your county is screwed. Tornadoes? They pick and choose; it's a sign from the god(s).

Members don't see this ad :)
KCU seems like my first choice DO currently, with RVU and DMU solid tied for two. Everything I hear about KCU is positive and friendly. I do live 5 minutes from Nova so that is appealing :/

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I’d be more afraid of going to Touro-NY campuses and getting murdered

Reactions: 2 users

Tornadoes dissipate when they get close to these cities! The ‘tall’ structures disrupt the wind :) and statistically... it should be low on the list of probable causes of death

Tornadoes dissipate when they get close to these cities! The ‘tall’ structures disrupt the wind :) and statistically... it should be low on the list of probable causes of death
And before they dissipate, they ruin like 30% of the town.

Look what happened to Joplin in May, 2011. Couple days later it swept through our town passing our house couple miles away.

Lol tell that to Joplin... or Moore, OK

I was in the tornado that destroyed Joplin. I still don't worry about my safety here. Don't overthink it.

Just don’t live in a trailer. Tornadoes seem to love trailer parks.

Reactions: 1 users
I was in a tornado back in 2005 and I watched it jump over my house at 2 am through skylights. Have not seen one since then. I am not scared about my safety in what is often called Tornado Alley. If anything, I feel I am prepared in case another happens.

Just don’t live in a trailer. Tornadoes seem to love trailer parks.
You know, that is interesting. Couple days later, after tornado hit Joplin, it hit our town and it pretty much destroyed only the trailer park with some businesses and school bus parking. But the whole trailer park was destroyed.

You know, that is interesting. Couple days later, after tornado hit Joplin, it hit our town and it pretty much destroyed only the trailer park with some businesses and school bus parking. But the whole trailer park was destroyed.
They are particular effective vs mobile homes due to construction methods and the ways used to secure them

I've lived in Iowa all my life, and I've never felt unsafe in the line of severe weather. In the off-chance a tornado would hit any of these locations, most (if not all) places have a storm shelter or basement that would keep you and your family safe. Plus, we get plenty of notice when severe weather is predicted, so there's always plenty of time to take precautions.