Total Credits of Medical School Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FormerCorpsman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the total credits taken throughout D.O. school.? Thanks for you time.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
LMU-DCOM:
Fall OMS-I: 26
Spring OMS-I: 32
Fall OMS-II: 32
Spring OMS-II: 30
Clerkships are 8 credit hours per 4 week rotation

Grand total: 296

Here's an example of how credits stack up at a problem-based learning school.

From the LECOM-Bradenton catalog:
http://www.mutualgravity.com/dld/gfffurpz/2008-09%20Student%20Handbook%20Bradentonweb.pdf, p 25-26.

Year I, Semester I: 46 (27 credits are PBL)
Year I,SII: 55.5 (40 are PBL)
Year II,SI: 53.5 (40 are PBL)
Year II,SII: 49.5 (40 are PBL)
Year III: 120
Year IV: 120

Total of 444.5 credit hours.
----
CALCULATION OF CREDIT HOURS
1. For PBL: One week of PBL = 2.0 credits; one week of PBL is comprised of the
following: tutorial group meetings, independent study, and group study. During the
first semester (concurrent with anatomy), PBL meetings are held once a week for the
first ten weeks with an adjusted credit hours.
2. First and second year courses other than PBL are rated at one credit hour for 12 hours of
lecture or 24 hours of laboratory.
3. For third and fourth year rotations, credit hours of 2.5 are assigned for each week of
clinical rotations.
----
I should specify that the 40 credit hours of PBL per semester consist of three 2-hour group meetings per week, with the rest of the credits made up of self-study, etc.

Does it really matter how many 'credits' a medical school awards? It seems to me, like it could be from 1 to a billion and it would have no impact on anything...

Does it really matter how many 'credits' a medical school awards? It seems to me, like it could be from 1 to a billion and it would have no impact on anything...

Seeing the variance above, I'd say that it doesn't matter, except to MAYBE put things in perspective, relative to a measure we're familiar with. However, if you're used to taking 18 hours of class, I don't think med school will just be like "adding a couple more classes." ;) :poke:

I'ts really meaningless to think you can predict how much work based upon credit hours. In our third year, how would you even begin to think about credit hours on an IM rotation, when your in the hospital 12 hours a day and pull call for two nights during that week? Just think about how much water you can drink from a fire hose, that's more what it's like. Also, the amount of study time or dedicated self study with objective that we have here is enormous. Credit hours is really an undergrad mentality forced on medical schools.

TCOM200901

Outa here soon, can't wait for the match

I employed this question because of the Texas Hazelwood Act. This is a piece of legislature set aside for veterans to pursue higher education;however, there is a certain credit amount it will pay for. I am combat veteran of the Operation Phantom Fury or know as the Battle of Fallujah, which took place at the latter end of 2004 and early 2005. I served as a Navy Corpsman a.k.a. combat medic with 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines. Thus, I intent to uses this to pay for all of medical school. Sorry if the question seemed ridiculous to many. This piece of legislature is specifically aim at public graduate or medical programs in the state of Texas. Hence I go to a Texas school, my education is paid for. I guess bleeding for your country pays off.

Last edited:
I employed this question because of the Texas Hazelwood Act. This is a piece of legislature set aside for veterans to pursue higher education;however, there is a certain credit amount it will pay for. I am combat veteran of the Operation Phantom Fury or know as the Battle of Fallujah, which took place at the latter end of 2004 and early 2005. I served as a Navy Corpsman a.k.a. combat medic with 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines. Thus, I intent to uses this to pay for all of medical school. Sorry if the question seemed ridiculous to many. This piece of legislature is specifically aim at public graduate or medical programs in the state of Texas. Hence I go to a Texas school, my education is paid for. I guess bleeding for your country pays off.

Its not a ridiculous question, I think the point of most people's posts is just that it cannot be looked at as a "Credit system" the same way undergraduate is. At my school, 20+ credits is considered "overload", so the idea of 55 credits in one semester is just wtf. You're going to have to check into what that program considers a "credit" and make sure it isn't the same as undergrad. Some people spend two years in undergrad to rack up 55 credits (usually business majors).

Its not a ridiculous question, I think the point of most people's posts is just that it cannot be looked at as a "Credit system" the same way undergraduate is. At my school, 20+ credits is considered "overload", so the idea of 55 credits in one semester is just wtf. You're going to have to check into what that program considers a "credit" and make sure it isn't the same as undergrad. Some people spend two years in undergrad to rack up 55 credits (usually business majors).

Thanks for the clarification on this topic. I appreciate it.

Makes sense, thanks for your service, hopefully you can get all of your education paid for! :thumbup: