Total Newbie!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryingdobeadoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i always wanted to be a doctor. I am now in 9th grade. I dont know anything about how do be a doctor. I am a smart kid i get staraight A's and i took the PSATS and got a 1400. My mother says to get into "Direct Medical". i dont know what that means. I will be volunteering at my local hospital begining in september. SO please give me a step by step apporch. Thanks for help!

Members don't see this ad.

tryingdobeadoc said:
Hi i always wanted to be a doctor. I am now in 9th grade. I dont know anything about how do be a doctor. I am a smart kid i get staraight A's and i took the PSATS and got a 1400. My mother says to get into "Direct Medical". i dont know what that means. I will be volunteering at my local hospital begining in september. SO please give me a step by step apporch. Thanks for help!

are you sure a 1400? Do you mean a 140? It's good that you are thinking ahead and everything but you should not brag about a 140. A 200+ psat score would be something to brag about.

That aside, right now you should be focused on getting good grades and preforming some EC's. If you really want to go to a top undergrad school start studying for the ACT/SAT I and SAT II.

wow 9th grade, i can't even think that far back. Enjoy life while you can. Oh yeah, and good luck!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your mom is talking about a BS/MD program. It is where you go directly into medical school from high school, but it is a 6 year program. There are a few schools in the northeast that have mostly most of the class size reserved for BS/MD.

Try a search or pm me for more info

dont forget to enjoy highschool... and get into some trouble, yea i said it

hnbui said:
are you sure a 1400? Do you mean a 140? It's good that you are thinking ahead and everything but you should not brag about a 140. A 200+ psat score would be something to brag about.

The OP seems a bit trollish... maybe someone who took the PSAT over ten years ago? I think the PSAT switched to three sections (math, verbal, writing) awhile back and no longer is paralleled with the SAT, so it doesn't make sense to get a 1400. :rolleyes:

Petitpois said:
The OP seems a bit trollish... maybe someone who took the PSAT over ten years ago? I think the PSAT switched to three sections (math, verbal, writing) awhile back and no longer is paralleled with the SAT, so it doesn't make sense to get a 1400. :rolleyes:

well i think the general rule of thumb for the psat still applies. what ever number in the hundreds you get add a 0 to it, to see what you might score on the SAT. It's full of bs. don't trust that rule for the life of you. :)

Yea it doesn't even take writing into account. All writing shows is how well you're supposed to do on the SAT II. The PSAT was not a good predictor for me, it was over 200 points off :rolleyes:.

Dang, well since you are only going to the 9th grade now, it might be way to early to be spending your time on a med board like this. Just try to live a little carefree especially since its only your first year of hs. I don't mean you shud go get drunk and party all the time but don't get too preoccuppied with the stuff just yet. It's good to be ambitious tho of course.

Take care :)

lol, 1400, if your a troll, more then half the people on this board got more then that on the real SATs, and no one was bragging about it.

if your not a troll, well, 9th grade? go do something stupid, live your life, do something crazy, but at the same time focus on academics. That way in 40 years you won't be looking at your kids thinking about the times that you missed out when you were a kid and you should have been living your life!

but i do wish you the best of luck, i'm sure your parents are proud of you...

It seems to me that you are being told by your mom what to do. If that is the case then make sure that medicine is what you want for your life and not what your relatives want from you. Do some ECs and live your HS years to the fullest. Good luck! :thumbup:

yeah i remember back in 1994 when I took the PSAT the first time as a sophomore we had to add a 0 or something to get the equivalent SAT score. I think i got a 115 total back then so it was equivalent to a 1150. They projeted my SAT score to be a 1250! those bastards! They were 300 pts off!

Anyway, if you are really interested in BA/MD programs, start by doing some candy striping and other real volunteer work, and kick ass at school, esp your SAT I and II's. Shadow a doc and build a great rapport w/ your teachers so you can get some kickass recs. good luck.

You're too young to worry about this kind of stuff right now. It would be helpful though for you to check out some BS/MD programs; at least to look at what kind of requisites you will need. I know a few people in some of these programs...the usual SAT score generally ranged from 1300-1500.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have fun, but also try to get into a good college. It's a lot more than SAT scores. Take your mom's advice with a grain of salt. After all, she's your mom.

oops i did not mean i got 1400 on psats they projected my SAT score to be 1400. LOL sorry for the trouble. I will take all your advice. thanks for the help.

hey man that's cool... i am 2 grade higher than you... looks like someone took my place for youngest here..

you're going into 9th or 10th?

i got like a project 1500 for my sat... and im taking them this october.

good luck ya... im not volunteering anywhere as i wanna be a radiologist.

I just finished 9th and will be going into 10th at end of september. anyway its nice to see good people on the this board who dont bash:)

"im not volunteering anywhere as i wanna be a radiologist"

first, stop being a complete tit. volunteering, however, useless it may seem is required to a certain extent.

This thread is pathetic.

Hey George how are the polls doing?

im takin a beatin, son.

what d'ya reckon bout mccain? dick heart's is bushwhacked.

hahah 43, don't be an idiot. im just expressing what you express. not going to the naacp, pfffft.

haha pwned.

hnbui said:

That aside, right now you should be focused on getting good grades and preforming some EC's. If you really want to go to a top undergrad school start studying for the ACT/SAT I and SAT II.

Lol, 1400 on PSAT.. wow did they change the scoring (have I been out of HS for that long!?) Yea, 140 is not that great... 200+ is still even not that great. For my year the NMS was set at 216 I believe, I was shy of 1 pt. :mad: ..

Not all "direct medical" programs are accelerated 6yr/7yr programs. I think the MSAR lists some of them. For example, Northwestern and Northeastern Ohio has a 7 year program and UMKC has a 6 year program. Programs like Northwestern's are ridiculously competitive. MSAR average stats on those programs are like 1500s and mid-to-high 700s on the SAT IIs (e.g. physics or chemistry, math IIC, and writing). The other ones I mentioned aren't quite as competitive (but might be restricted to in-state applicants).

There's also accelerated DO programs. I've got a friend who is doing a 7 yr program at NYIT/NYCOM.

And lastly, there's schools like SLU and maybe Tulane if I remember correctly that have 8 year BS (or BA)/MD programs. They're not accelerated, but you're guaranteed admission to their med school provided that you keep a certain cume (like 3.5), a certain science (3.5ish), and you don't apply to any other medical schools.

IMHO if I were in your shoes, I would not do a 6 or 7 year program. If you think high school kicks ass wait until you get till college...the parties get better, the ladies get hotter (I'm assuming you're a guy), and mommy and daddy can't go Big Brother on your butt :D

P.S. in addition to the ECs that others have mentioned I would like to add: Come up with sinister senior prank :smuggrin:

Without living life, I can only imagine what his bedside manner will be like.

Heliums said:
Without living life, I can only imagine what his bedside manner will be like.

Ouch! That's a little harsh...

I wish I had better advice going into college (and during college) so I don't think it's so bad that the OP and amnesia (even though you called me "weird" in the Everyone forum you high school troll ;) ) are on SDN asking for advice. If I had good advice, I wouldn't be in the predicament that I'm in now :(

Seriously though you can kick butt in college and have the time of your life. It's all about balance. The ultra-gunner accelerated BS/MD students are often criticized for lacking maturity (is it so hard to believe? They didn't have any time for fun!)...so unless you absolutely know that you're mature and that's what you want, I wouldn't do the accelerated thing

But YOU are the one that needs to make your own decision--not your mom, OP ;)

UT_OC said:
Lol, 1400 on PSAT.. wow did they change the scoring (have I been out of HS for that long!?) Yea, 140 is not that great... 200+ is still even not that great. For my year the NMS was set at 216 I believe, I was shy of 1 pt. :mad: ..

trust me a 200+ is considered good. Different states have different nms scores, but a general rule of tumb is that a 200+ is good. :D

Phil Anthropist said:
Not all "direct medical" programs are accelerated 6yr/7yr programs. I think the MSAR lists some of them. For example, Northwestern and Northeastern Ohio has a 7 year program and UMKC has a 6 year program. Programs like Northwestern's are ridiculously competitive. MSAR average stats on those programs are like 1500s and mid-to-high 700s on the SAT IIs (e.g. physics or chemistry, math IIC, and writing). The other ones I mentioned aren't quite as competitive (but might be restricted to in-state applicants).

There's also accelerated DO programs. I've got a friend who is doing a 7 yr program at NYIT/NYCOM.

And lastly, there's schools like SLU and maybe Tulane if I remember correctly that have 8 year BS (or BA)/MD programs. They're not accelerated, but you're guaranteed admission to their med school provided that you keep a certain cume (like 3.5), a certain science (3.5ish), and you don't apply to any other medical schools.

IMHO if I were in your shoes, I would not do a 6 or 7 year program. If you think high school kicks ass wait until you get till college...the parties get better, the ladies get hotter (I'm assuming you're a guy), and mommy and daddy can't go Big Brother on your butt :D

P.S. in addition to the ECs that others have mentioned I

hahah i'm attending tulane this fall. :) Tulane also have a creative scholar program, (I really don't remember the name fo the program to well.) Basically you finish up all my premed reqs by the end of your sophomore year and then you can apply to tulane med school. If you are accepted you are automatically guarantee a spot in tulane med school. If you are accepted, you will finish up your junior year at tulane and then you have the choice to either go directly to tulane med school or continue undergrad for another year.

hnbui said:
hahah i'm attending tulane this fall. :) Tulane also have a creative scholar program, (I really don't remember the name fo the program to well.) Basically you finish up all my premed reqs by the end of your sophomore year and then you can apply to tulane med school. If you are accepted you are automatically guarantee a spot in tulane med school. If you are accepted, you will finish up your junior year at tulane and then you have the choice to either go directly to tulane med school or continue undergrad for another year.

Are you in the program? Congrats if you are :hardy:

"Creative Scholars?!" :laugh: You finish all your prereqs by the end of your sophomore year...does that mean you take physics concurrently with organic? Ouch!

Unless there's a major money issue, take the extra undergrad year...that's my vote :thumbup: Heck you could even pick up another fun major/minor while your fellow premeds are stressing over med school admissions

Phil Anthropist said:
Are you in the program? Congrats if you are :hardy:

"Creative Scholars?!" :laugh: You finish all your prereqs by the end of your sophomore year...does that mean you take physics concurrently with organic? Ouch!

Unless there's a major money issue, take the extra undergrad year...that's my vote :thumbup: Heck you could even pick up another fun major/minor while your fellow premeds are stressing over med school admissions

hahah. :)

i'm not in the program. I am an incoming freshman. :) Actually i just recently registered classes for the fall semester. I'm not planning to apply to the program either.

tryingdobeadoc said:

try to find an injured bird and nurse it back to health and talk about it in your application essay. schools love that!

(just kidding - do not help injured birds)

medicalstudent9 said:
try to find an injured bird and nurse it back to health and talk about it in your application essay. schools love that!

(just kidding - do not help injured birds)

that's a good idea. find an injured bird that has west nile, and then get infected and write about your struggle to overcome west nile.

Maybe this kids mom should have taught him golf if she wanted a meal ticket

Stop stealing avatars. It isn't very doctor like.

Heliums said:
Maybe this kids mom should have taught him golf if she wanted a meal ticket

no need to insult or disparage the mom. you can't tell me that your mother have never wanted you to grow up and become a doctor before. Dognose my mother has.

205 = National Merit Scholarship in 1990 in OK (don't know if that was the minimum, but it was good enough).

The selection index multiplied verbal x 2 and added math, though. So if you just added, something around 1/10 of a normal SAT score would be right.

I remember when everyone in my school took the PSAT as sophomores and everyone knew that only two of the scores actually counted and you just had to add zero to that. (What was the third section? Writing?) anyway, this one girl said she got like 1500 or something and everyone was all amazed and of course she was adding all three scores and basically bragging about getting about 1000. What an idiot.