Totally freaking out..Please Help!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pipacus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that unless you have A's in the med school pre-reqs, you dont really have a chance at getting into medical school. I only have a b-average in my pre-reqs....what can i do to improve my situation? upper division sciences ? a post-bacc? .....or am i just doomed ????

i know this is a pre-med question, but considering the precarious state of my sanity, i really wanted some feedback from ppl who have already successfully completed this process and might hopefully pity me and not try to sabotage me (unlike those back-stabbing curve-obsessed bastards).

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of problems did you encounter in your pre-reqs?

i could have improved my study habits , i guess....calculus is what really killed my gpa..i got a c in that and had to work my ass off to get an A in calc 2 to balance it out.
so im guessing im doomed with the b's in my pre-reqs????

Members don't see this ad :)
i could have improved my study habits , i guess....calculus is what really killed my gpa..i got a c in that and had to work my ass off to get an A in calc 2 to balance it out.

For most schools calculus isn't even a pre-req. Pre-reqs generally are: gen bio, gen chem, orgo, physics, (+/-biochem, +/-freshman English, +/-calculus, +/-differential equations). As long as you did well in the big 4, you're OK.

i know this is a pre-med question, but considering the precarious state of my sanity, i really wanted some feedback from ppl who have already successfully completed this process and might hopefully pity me and not try to sabotage me (unlike those back-stabbing curve-obsessed bastards).

This belongs in the pre-allo or postbac board. Folks in allo are done with these issues, and have our own issues, so you should probably expect more pity from your peers, who have yet to become jaded and lose their souls, as we all have. Abandon hope, all ye who enter here...

But in general, if your grades are subpar, you need to take more courses for A's. You are not yet doomed -- there are always options, just might take some time. You've addressed the problem, so now go fix it. If you are still in undergrad, figure out what you were doing wrong, and then keep taking science courses there, for however long you can. If done, do an informal or open enrollment postbac. See the postbac board for such options.

Better yet, simply peruse the Pre-Allo board. I'm sure this has been asked before, like maybe 5 times this year.

In general, I think you'll hit problems if your BCMP (biology, chem, math, physics) gpa is lower than 3.5. It's not the end of the world, but you want to at least try to be at that point. One C is not going to kick you out of the running if you do well on your other classes. Also, the other posters are right -- schools are going to be more interested in how you do in the universal prereqs (gen chem, organic, general biology, physics).

take some easy classes to pad your overall gpa. and do well on the mcat. you'll be fine.

I got plenty of Bs in chem, math and physics (just wasn't my thing) but plenty of As in biology and biochem and now I'm a second year med student.

I heard that unless you have A's in the med school pre-reqs, you dont really have a chance at getting into medical school. I only have a b-average in my pre-reqs....what can i do to improve my situation? upper division sciences ? a post-bacc? .....or am i just doomed ????

I had a 3.3 undergrad BCPM GPA

Members don't see this ad :)

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Totally freaking out is when you are up for 4 days straight because you are absolutely sure that the neighboring apartment is full of federal agents who are falsely investigating you for terrorist activities.

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Totally freaking out is when you are up for 4 days straight because you are absolutely sure that the neighboring apartment is full of federal agents who are falsely investigating you for terrorist activities.

LOL :laugh:

You are freaking out.............................................Man....

Don't listent to other premeds when they tell you things that don't line up with the statistics. Go buy yourself a MSAR (I think that is what you called that thing, its the book that AAMC puts out about entrance stats of all medical schools) and remember that the numbers given are averages so that means that some people got into those schools with lower numbers than the given average. Sure being on the average or above it is a much better place to be when applying and you should strive to try to get those numbers but despair in the face of B's is a bit over the top. Just take a deep breath.

I had a 3.08 science GPA and 3.4 overall when i graduated. I took some biology courses after I graduated and busted my ass to get A's just to pad my GPA while I worked for 2 years. I was able to get a 4.0 on all the classes I took and when I interviewed that is what everybody cared about, that I did something to strengthen my weakness. Taking some time after graduation to work and get some other experiences also helped at interviews. I'm now doing just fine in my 3rd year at med school, so it is possible to come back from a b average.

Sounds like you already know the answer.

Here's my advice:

take some social work and poetry classes to pad your general GPA.

Take one or two high level bio classes and bust your a$$ to get A's.

KILL THE MCAT.

To kill the MCAT:
- start reading difficult and boring articles from the following magazines NOW: the economist, science, nature

-5 months before the MCAT take ONE practice exam, full length, timed, every week until two weeks before the test. Review, understand, and correct mistakes from each practice exam.

My undergrad GPA was 3.29, with my science GPA a little lower. I waited 10 years and then did a postbac. Don't follow my example. Though I'm in medschool now, I'm a total idiot.

That could be an issue. Try looking into a structured post-bacc program where you can get those grades up. You'll be preparing very well for med school in the meantime. But, by no means should you consider youself doomed from ever entering medicine. Just get the grades up and try to make yourself as competitive as possible.

You need to have at least a 3.5 in your BCPM (and hopefully your overall GPA) to be considered competitive GPA-wise. If you aren't meeting that, continue to take upper level science classes to bump your science GPA, continue to take easier classes to pad your overall GPA.

If you're in school, this shouldn't be a huge problem (unless you have a regimented major like engineering).

If you're graduating with this low GPA problem. Do an informal post-bacc.

You will also need to do well on the MCAT. A 30 is needed for those with competitive GPA, 30+ for those with subpar GPA.

Study hard and try to figure out what your problem is. Getting into medical school is not impossible, but it takes hard work, discipline and planning. Good luck!

might hopefully pity me and not try to sabotage me (unlike those back-stabbing curve-obsessed bastards).

Well poop on you! :rolleyes: No one trys to sabotage anyone on the pre-med board. Most of us are in now and even the ones who aren't are very helpful. I've seen a lot more sarcasm on the med/residency boards by far.

There are many who can't get in with their grades who either continue to take the MCAT (shelling out big bucks to Kaplan) to improve their scores, or taking a year to do research to improve their application. Another option, if you are really devoted to going in to medicine (especially at a particular school) is to get a job working in the hospital after you graduate to cultivate contacts, as well as expose yourself to medicine as a whole and learn, you may work for several years, while continuing to re-take the MCAT too.