You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Totally rattled... ugh
Started by miringains
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
On my MCAT, I thought I aced the verbal section and bombed the biology section. I literally thought I got a 13 or 14 on verbal and ended up with a 10, while I thought I got an 8 on biology and ended up with an 11. How you feel after the test means nothing. 🙂
The only thing you can somewhat rely on is the fact that you will most likely score within a few points of your AAMC average. Take comfort in that and try your best to hang on this next month waiting for your scores.
The only thing you can somewhat rely on is the fact that you will most likely score within a few points of your AAMC average. Take comfort in that and try your best to hang on this next month waiting for your scores.
you must have a gold student doctor network account to read this message.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you must have a gold student doctor network account to read this message.
Last edited:
No one knows what the curve on the real tests is like. If you look at the AAMC practice exams, you'll notice that the scale changes for every test due simply to the small variations in difficulty. The real test, supposedly being significantly harder, would also be expected to have a significantly more forgiving curve. On top of that, remember that there are experimental questions and passages on the real exam. As a result, unlike the practice exams, there are questions on the real MCAT that actually don't count toward your score. For all you or we know, the questions you missed were mostly experimental in which case the damage isn't nearly as bad as it would be otherwise.
This is why people often suck at predicting their scores after taking the MCAT. There's simply no way to know how well you did until you get your score back.
This is why people often suck at predicting their scores after taking the MCAT. There's simply no way to know how well you did until you get your score back.
^^ time to just get dem aesthetics going and disregard everything until school starts I suppose eh brah 😉
I really freaking hope I am not back here in a few months lol. Did anyone ever come out of the test knowing 100% they most likely got 10-15 wrong in a section and still did fine?
That depends, were these "hard" questions, or just silly mistakes? If it is the former, there were some who ended up with 35+. It depends on the nature ("curve") of the test. Just reward yourself the next while, but lay off the carbs, and stay away from dat dere cell-tech when acquiring said aesthetics and you'll be fine.
But (srs), don't sweat it and reward yourself.
you must have a gold student doctor network account to read this message.
Last edited:
you must have a gold student doctor network account to read this message.
Last edited:
Appreciate this, it calms me down a little bit. My fear is that the questions I know I got wrong were so basic (I mixed up definitions etc) so that those will count and the ones I actually did good on won't (very hard passages) 😛. But then again, 5 out of a total 52 cannot possibly take me from an 11 to a 7.
oh well.... time to relax and at worst I will have to repeat this whole thing next summer :/
The thing about the experimental questions is that AAMC has to test all their questions; that includes the really easy ones, not just the hard ones. Like I said, it's impossible to know which questions were the experimentals unless you're one of the test writers.
I had the exact same worry on my Physics section. I'm sure that I missed 5 pretty easy questions (looked them up later) and ended up with a 13 in that section. I thought I aced biology, on the other hand, and ended up with 12. The test really messes with your mind that way.
Don't worry, there's a reason that every test is scored differently based on the difficulty of the section.
Don't worry, there's a reason that every test is scored differently based on the difficulty of the section.
you must have a gold student doctor network account to read this message.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of the things I've begun to notice on my practice exams is the ridiculous curves. This seems particularly true on the verbal section where the difference between a 10, an 11, and a 12 appears to be 1-2 questions each, depending on that particular practice exam. I've heard scoring on the actual MCAT is also highly variable on the curve.
Everyone I've spoken to personally, when asked how they did on the MCAT, has said, "I had a drink." Several people said they felt like they were, "Kicked in the gut."
Each of them did ok or better than expected. One of the things I'm trying to work on personally is my nerves, particularly on the physical sciences section. I fee like my preparation prepared me for questions where the overall concepts would be rather obvious (even if I wasn't familiar with the concept), but it couldn't be further from the truth. Sometimes I look at the questions and go, "What are you asking for?" This isn't a phenomenon I've seen on the biology sections, yet (hopefully don't).
Everyone I've spoken to personally, when asked how they did on the MCAT, has said, "I had a drink." Several people said they felt like they were, "Kicked in the gut."
Each of them did ok or better than expected. One of the things I'm trying to work on personally is my nerves, particularly on the physical sciences section. I fee like my preparation prepared me for questions where the overall concepts would be rather obvious (even if I wasn't familiar with the concept), but it couldn't be further from the truth. Sometimes I look at the questions and go, "What are you asking for?" This isn't a phenomenon I've seen on the biology sections, yet (hopefully don't).
Similar threads
7
- Question
- Replies
- 14
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 1K