totally screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok im a PharmD with a 2.6 what can i do ? do a MS in biomedical sciences at UMDNJ the post bac program at Lecomm the thing is in my pre reqs i did fine in fact i didnt get lower than a B in any of those classes my pharmacy classes blew though im finishing the Bs in pharmacy and im enrolled in a post BS PharmD program what can i do to salvage any chance that is left of going to med sch ? i heard the Lecomm program ? or do a post Bs PharmD at a easier sch get high grades and bang out a good MCAt score ?

any help would be definitely appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

PharmD2b

Don't let the lower GPA discourage you. A 2.6 is lower than most people getting into medical school. If you received nothing lower than a B in the pre-requisites and received Bs in pharmacy classes, then you are doing a good job. It sounds like you may have struggled through some non-science classes. I had one class where I received a C and I retook it later and got an A. You may think about retaking a few of the classes where you did poorly and that will show the admissions committees that you are able to handle the workload.

What you need to do from here on out during your post BS PharmD program is try to maintain at or above a 3.3 or so, that will show that your GPA is improving.

If you really want to be a doctor and don't necessarily care if you have the MD behind your name, then you may want to look into Osteopathic schools as well. They accept many older students, and in general their GPAs and MCATs are lower than at MD schools. They provide a solid medical education, comparable to the MD schools. The main difference between the MD and DO is that the DO schools teach additional information on manipulating the body (somewhat similar to what chiropractors do).

Hope this helps.

Pharmd you're never totally screwed... listen you could increase your GPA, you could also score amazing MCATs, you could also apply to DO schools as well, or consider the caribbean... my friend just got in with a 2.1.

Also try your state school....

Good luck to you and keep the faith... anyhow Pharmacy is an amazing career as well...

You are a pharmacist. Right? I don't see why you should do a post-bachelor or even masters. PharmD is an entry professional degree just like MD. You took classes with medical students during and that should say enough about how you handle medical school.
Just get a decent score on the mcat and no need of taking any classes and you are in. By the way, i bet you are making a heck of money working as a pharmacist.