totally uneducated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timurx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there another forum on healthcare issues, but considering there are prolly many others like myself who know basically nothing about healthcare (much less, the problems associated with it)...

What is the BEST place to learn about the American Healthcare System (not JUST to problems)...I need a foundation in order to make a sound judgement about any proposed opinions/solutions?

The difference between what I'm looking for and what the other 1238912 threads on SDN about healthcare is simply where is the best place to start? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

moore2.jpg

allow me to introduce myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
go volunteer at a hospital and talk to some of the older employees and they'll tell you everything you want to know about it.

go volunteer at a hospital and talk to some of the older employees and they'll tell you everything you want to know about it.

And most of it will be wrong. People bitch and moan about things that annoy them about health care, and yet the majority of the ideas they propose are empty.

I liked the book "Understanding Health Policy" by Bodenheimer and Grumbach. It covers private insurance vs. public insurance, how health care is financed, how health care costs are determined, how the US health care system differs from that of other countries, the problems associated with long-term care, how to allocate scarce medical resources, how managed care works, etc. I thought it presented a mostly objective view with lots of real-life examples. Hope this helps!

(P.S. - You can buy this book on Amazon, but I checked it out of my school's library, so you might check there first)

The House of God - Samuel Shem