Touchy Subject Matters during Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dagobert Duck

k
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wanted to get some advice on how to approach interview questions that are politically and financially touchy subjects. For example, a possible interview question may be how I feel about the current healthcare system, what problems it has, and what I would propose in order to fix the issue. I personally believe that 1) we have to abandon the fee for service system and move towards a pay for performance model in order to increase accountability of healthcare providers so that we can lower the cost of healthcare and 2) we have to lower the barriers of entry into the medical profession from a financial standpoint by decreasing the cost of medical school and the application fees in order to increase the supply of doctors in the country to meet the increasing demand. I'm worried, however, that my answers may conflict with what is in the best interest of a current physician/interviewer as both points would decrease the income of a physician in the long run. Should I stay clear of such an answer or do you think these are legitimate points to raise?

Another possible question may be how I feel about nationalized healthcare. I personally am a strong proponent for universal health care, but seeing how this is a politically charged topic, should I make an effort to highlight both sides of the argument or should I stick to what I truly believe in?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I dont think they would ask you too many of these questions. They could ask you about what you think about the health care debate, and there is nothing wrong to say that you want universal health care because that's what being a doctor is really about. However, I would stay away/try to dodge questions that you have answers that want to change physicians or the way to get there like how much you think the medical school should be or what should be considered in the applicant. Basically, dont try to radicalize the profession before you are even a student because they might think you dont really want to be a physician in this current system. You can just say something like "I think medical school should be accessible to all, especially now that the field is growing so much and so many people need support".

Reactions: 1 users
If you get a question like this, don't dance around it. Give your point of view, defend it. Acknowledge the fact that there are many possible solutions to the issues of our health care system and they all have trade offs. Maybe go into some other solutions that may be a little more digestible for your interviewers if you get the sense they aren't feeling your initial point of view. Questions like these aren't meant to assess whether your view aligns with theirs. They're meant to see what you know, how you feel about the issues, and why you feel that way.

Doctors are used to talking with people who have differing ideas, so don't worry about it. Obviously don't go overboard... but stick to what you feel is right, and be prepared to talk about why.

Reactions: 1 user