Tough being a non-trad!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ebete

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What a battle non-trad. have to go thru...I'm tired of hearing the same song, school after school. Just went to see 4 different schools about my chances of interview and got the same 1out of 2 responces (repreat u/g pre-reqs or smp). I really shouldn't feel like this right now, considering I anticipate what they are going to say already, but I guess somewhere deep down I was hoping for a little more...yeah I know keep on dreaming! I need to make a decision on what to do, since every school has a different oppinion:rolleyes:. I guess I was trying to see if I could get away with just having a higher MCAT and not have to do anything about the gpa issue, but that's not the case unless your MCAT is abouve a 36! They want to see the grades upward trend or that you can handle the smp load and still do well. My problem is the "putting all my eggs in one basket" and risk having them all broken (on the smp), and taking the u/g all over again seems a waste and going backwards. I mean its not like I have tons of time to waste on u/g and come out with a no-degree anything! Sorry about the rant, I had a rough last couple of days, travelling all over the place, my car even looks beat up! Positive words are welcome!!!

Members don't see this ad.

"How bad do you want it?" is what my wife asked me this morning. I work full-time and go to school like most other non-trads here. I have a year of Biology, O-Chem, and Physics left to apply next year. The problem is I would have to take them all in the next three quarters, otherwise wait another year. This means giving up my full-time job. I was very reluctant to do that, but I do really want it that bad. I have to get good grades, plus Biology and O-chem in the same term does not sound like a good time. So hang in there and ask yourself how bad you want it, then do what your heart tells you.

Best of Luck!

I guess I was trying to see if I could get away with just having a higher MCAT and not have to do anything about the gpa issue, but that's not the case unless your MCAT is abouve a 36! They want to see the grades upward trend or that you can handle the smp load and still do well. My problem is the "putting all my eggs in one basket" and risk having them all broken (on the smp), and taking the u/g all over again seems a waste and going backwards. I mean its not like I have tons of time to waste on u/g and come out with a no-degree anything!

I know it feels really rough right now, but you have to be realistic about what you're up against. Whether or not you think it's fair, the schools set the admissions standards, and you have to give them what they're looking for if you want to get in. (Incidentally, I think it was extremely smart of you to visit schools and ask about your prospects BEFORE applying. Many people find out the hard way, after they've been rejected.)

If you want to go to MD school, it looks like you have 3 choices:

1. Get a really high MCAT score. Pros: quickest and cheapest approach. Cons: May not be possible, depending on your test-taking abilities. Even a high score may not fully compensate for a very low GPA, in the eyes of med schools.

2. Repeat your prereqs (and possibly get a second bachelor's degree). Pros: Much lower risk than doing an SMP. Cons: Takes the most time, effort and money. Unlikely to help you admissions-wise unless you get mostly A's in the classes.

3. Do an SMP. Pros: Faster than retaking a lot of courses. May be the only possibility for someone with a really low GPA (<3.0). Cons: Costly, extremely risky. (Hard to do well, and doing badly can ruin your chances of ever getting into med school.) May not be able to get into a good SMP without a fairly high MCAT score. Even good performance in an SMP may not get you into MD school.

As you probably know, most people with GPA issues do some variation on #2. Some people have spent up to 4 years repeating undergrad courses to repair their GPA before applying, while others just do the science prereqs and rack up a string of A's, hoping that adcoms will reward them for the upward trend even if their cumulative GPA isn't great. As long as you can do well in science classes and round out your app with strong volunteer work and LORs to convince the schools you're serious about medicine, this could very well work. But it's hard to know for sure if would for you, without knowing your GPA and MCAT score.

There's also a 4th option you may not have considered:

4. Apply to DO schools. They use a different, more favorable method to calculate your GPA than MD schools, called "grade replacement." This means that if you retake a course and get a higher grade, only the higher grade counts in your GPA. Example: you take chem the first time and get a C, giving you a GPA of 2.0. Then you retake and get an A. Your GPA for DO schools is 4.0. (MD schools would just average the 2 grades, giving you a 3.0.) Grade replacement means you can raise your GPA much faster (assuming you can get high grades) and with fewer additional courses. DO schools also have somewhat lower average MCAT scores than MD schools. However, admissions are still quite competitive, especially at the best-known schools.

If you are focused on becoming a doctor by the fastest possible route, DO school definitely offers your best odds. You can't just put in DO applications out of the blue, though--most schools require you to have shadowed a DO and to get a DO recommendation letter for your app, to make sure you understand their philosophy. I highly recommend you look into it.

Good luck with your thought process.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
"How bad do you want it?" is what my wife asked me this morning. I work full-time and go to school like most other non-trads here. I have a year of Biology, O-Chem, and Physics left to apply next year. The problem is I would have to take them all in the next three quarters, otherwise wait another year. This means giving up my full-time job. I was very reluctant to do that, but I do really want it that bad. I have to get good grades, plus Biology and O-chem in the same term does not sound like a good time. So hang in there and ask yourself how bad you want it, then do what your heart tells you.

Best of Luck!

What a great attitude! Doing what the next guy won't do is often the difference between succeeding and failing. I swear adcoms can smell desire!

Having made more than my fair share of sacrifices to get into school I can tell you that it's worth it and I wouldn't change my decisions even if I could.

I hope that you can get everything done in the next three quarters. Good luck to you.:luck:

What a great attitude! Doing what the next guy won't do is often the difference between succeeding and failing. I swear adcoms can smell desire!

Having made more than my fair share of sacrifices to get into school I can tell you that it's worth it and I wouldn't change my decisions even if I could.

I hope that you can get everything done in the next three quarters. Good luck to you.:luck:

Yes, I've found this is true in several circumstances -- I'd hoped to relocate years ago, tried interviewing remotely, and only landed a spot after actually moving to my intended city -- can't think of a better way to prove your sincerity than to quit your job and throw everything you've got into it!

As an aside, was speaking with an instructor the other day, who shared that he'd given an oral exam to a failing med student in her 50's, and she had a really tought time free thinking in front of him (dean at that time). My thought was... why is this guy telling me this story, other than I'm one of the oldest folk in my class? So I'd say the "different from the rest" may never go away, even after you're admitted, unfortunately. Just gotta focus on being a darn good doc I guess.

Thanks everyone for all your words of wisdom... Every now and then I have the need to let out the negativity unfortunatelly I happen to be near my laptop, so SDN got it:D. Yep I get all the work we have to put in, and been ready for it, I just want to get there already! You know, something to show your family that all the crap they have been putting up with isn't for nothing. I know where its going, but everyone else needs quick gratification, they think it all happens once the decision to go to med school is made!
So now I have to decide on repeat my pre-recs or do a smp. My mentor (a DO)told me I really shouldn't have to do any of it, just do really well on the MCAT and that my life experiences + the great LOR I'll be getting:Dwill sufice, but I think he is biased. He knows me for over 10 years, my capabilities and strenghts, he feels my past u/g has nothing to do with how you do in medical school. Our way of studying in u/g is completely different than the way you retain info in medical school. And due to the reasons why my u/g gpa is low, he feels is one more reason why I will be a great physician. Everyone has an oppinion, and every school will give you what they would like to see on our application, I guess its up to us to do what is right for us, and to get to OUR medical school of choice.
For now I will keep on studying for the MCAT (Jan) and when the graduate schools application starts, I'll send in an application. I still have one more school to visit, I had made an appointment with the director of admissions to my top school last. So I think what she has to say may be what I'll do, since its there where I'd like to be the most. It's this week so I'll let you all know what she had to say.
Thanks again for all your support, I :love:my SDN family!

Clearly, I didn't need to tell you about DO school. You're all over that angle. :)

:laugh:I guess I should have mentioned the schools I visited were all DO schools except for one MD(my state school), I prefer DO but am applying to both, hey can't take any chances, and need all the help I can get!

if the admissions reps had your file or your transcripts in front of you and were telling you to do these things then I would lean toward heading their advice.

yes i know all to well about the fear of failing a smp...i have been down that road.
i was fortunate enough to get a second chance at anotehr smp and am now in med school.

would i do it again? absolutely

i understand how terrifying the thought of failure is, i understand not wanting to waste more time more resources about wanting to get to it but in the end it is about how bad you want it.
to give yourself the best chane you should listen to what they are saying....consider an smp. but if you do i highly advise you to look closely at their retention rate (how many people finish the program vs how many start) and the placement rate (how many people get into that school vs other schools vs md schools).
consider a post bac...ask if that would help.

you can spend years being frustrated and running in the same circle feeling like you are a dog chasing its tail or you can listen to what they are telling you and put forth the best application you can and thereby minimize the chance that you will have to reapply.

best wishes