Tough decision, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TSUJC

CSU c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really some need advice from the forum. I was accepted to Mississippi State and waitlisted at CSU. Today I received an email from CSU offering me a non-sponsored spot. I am SO torn about what to do. Colorado was my first choice but I never thought that I would get in. When I went to MSU I fell in love with the people and the teaching style. I have never been to Ft. Collins so I don’t know much about the atmosphere.

MSU does not offer any way to establish residency, whatever your status is when you apply is the status that you keep throughout your 4 years. Does anyone know how that works at CSU? Can I get residency after a year or two? Do they offer any “scholarship” like programs that allow you to pay in-state tuition?

Also I am concerned about the Capstone exam at CSU, does anyone know what happens if you do not pass the exam on your first try?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow tough decision. I can't answer many of the questions you've asked except that I do know that you cannot get in state tuition once you've been accepted as an out of state resident at CSU. So you would be paying the full price all 4-years. I hope that helps a little!

I second that.

CSU is the #2 school, and they do know that. There is a bit of a better than thou attitude there. That said, had I gotten in I would have stayed here with bells on (my IS, have a BS and in a month a MS from here). Also, it is in Colorado, and Fort Collins. Best place in the world to live bar none! :cool: 300 days of sun a year. The city cannot be beat, the school is top notch and they are currently building LOTS of new and expensive buildings at the VTH. It is HUGE. CSU is an awesome school, but it is competitive. I know from having a CSU Vet Med sticker on my car that it intimidates vets at clinics in other states. You might want to come visit before you make a decision, it is really not that far from where you are at. I am very jealous! :) I love it here

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like the difference between CSU and MSU is about 8,000 dollars a year. Is 32,000 more in debt worth it? I really don't know :confused:

It looks like the difference between CSU and MSU is about 8,000 dollars a year. Is 32,000 more in debt worth it? I really don't know :confused:

Is that including difference in cost of living?

No, it is not including cost of living...which is another very important point.

I don't know enough about either school to discuss the pros and cons but I think you should decide on factors other than the money. $32000 may seem substantial as a lump sum but it is not as much when you think of it over the course of a lifetime. Just decide where you are going to be really happy?

Getting into CSU OOS is an awesome accomplishment. Congratulations!:thumbup:

Just my 2 cents.

You can wear jeans and a hoodie to class at CSU, and there's probably a Target in Fort Collins!

Not that these are important in the same way as cost, but I'd be considering them in the back of my mind...

Congratulations! I think if it were me, I would accept the spot in Colorado...especially since you said it was your #1 choice. I think you should put down your deposit to save the spot...then go visit Ft. Collins to be sure you love it.

:laugh:
You can wear jeans and a hoodie to class at CSU, and there's probably a Target in Fort Collins!

You know, sometimes these things really do matter!!

How long does CSU give you to decide? I would try to go revisit if there's enough time. I wouldn't get too worried about the competivieness/cockiness - I am sure you will find this type of attitude exists at every school and if it's not your scene, I am sure it is easy to avoid. I would compare closely the types of teaching styles, strength in programs your interested in, etc. Plus, where you "feel" you;d be happier is definitely important :thumbup:!

Good luck and HUGE congratulations, as everyone has said being accepted OOS is extremely impressive!

Not that these are important in the same way as cost, but I'd be considering them in the back of my mind...

There is both a Target and a Super Target in Ft. Fun. A big Wallymart and a Sam's Club too! :D

You can wear jeans and a hoodie to class at CSU, and there's probably a Target in Fort Collins

You guys are too funny! Having a Target does make life a lot easier :laugh:

Seriously though, thanks for all of your kind replies. I didn’t realize what an achievement it was until just now, I guess I was in shock! I have decided that I am going to say yes to CSU. I have made plans to visit in two weeks.

I have to admit that I feel VERY guilty about declining Mississippi State, the people at MSU have been extremely friendly and gracious but I think CSU will better accommodate my interest areas. During my interview at MSU one of the adcoms told me that he would “fight for me” when the committee made their final selection…..this has been weighing on me a little. Am I crazy to feel this way?

Not crazy at all, but you have to do what's best for YOU. This is a big deal. Thank the MSU people, truly and from the bottom of your heart, and move on. Some waitlister will be so excited to take your place there. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
We all feel bad about turning down the schools that believed in us and accepted us right off the bat (see the "lets help each other out" page). But it isn't anything personal...it was very nice of that adcom member to fight for you, but I'm sure that person would agree that you should go where you would be happiest/work the best/are happiest. Congrats again!

Thanks for all the great advice, you guys have really helped to ease my mind. :)

The target is actually just north of town, on the interstate. I think...or maybe it's just south. There's also a budweiser factory for touring. And the New Belgium people. And a pretty good ethiopian place on... Mountain?

But totally up to you-don't know if any of that is your sort of thing...

-j.

about 20k more a year than a sponsored spot. Basically out of state/ non-WICHE

Does anyone know how that works at CSU? Can I get residency after a year or two? Do they offer any "scholarship" like programs that allow you to pay in-state tuition?

Also I am concerned about the Capstone exam at CSU, does anyone know what happens if you do not pass the exam on your first try?
First, no you can't get residency. Don't count on tuition being the same as it currently is, either. With the state of the CO economy, higher education is getting kind of screwed - I believe that out-of-state tuition is currently forecast to increase 9% for next year. Of course, that's probably the case in every state these days.

Regarding the capstone exam (our class was the first that got to enjoy this new adventure), the current procedure is that if you don't pass, you have to do a writeup explaining why you missed each question that you missed. You only fail out if you don't do this. There is some information on the website in the PVM handbook at http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/cvmbs/pvmhandbook.pdf, but it is from last year, so it is a little out of date. For me the biggest pain was just having it hanging over my head all summer (i.e. I should be studying - but it's 85 degrees and sunny - I want to go outside!).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Also, I haven't noticed any holier-than-thou attitude here.

The target is actually just north of town, on the interstate. I think...or maybe it's just south. There's also a budweiser factory for touring. And the New Belgium people. And a pretty good ethiopian place on... Mountain?

But totally up to you-don't know if any of that is your sort of thing...

-j.
There is a Target on the south end of town, and a Super Target between the town and the interstate on Horsetooth. Wal-Mart and all the breweries are in a line just off Mulberry between the north side of town (old town) and the interstate . (Ft. C. is about 5 miles W of the interstate). The foothills of the Rockies are about 5 miles to the west, the town is in the flats. There is your geography lesson for the day.:D Man I am going to miss this town!

caninerepro-

All I need to know about FoCo is that it's a straight shot down 287, and the highway patrol hangs out by tie siding. After that, it's all beer and food and a huge wine store.

I know from having a CSU Vet Med sticker on my car that it intimidates vets at clinics in other states
:eyebrow:

To the OP, congrats on your acceptance!! I'm reading "If Wishes Were Horses" right now... so I feel like I'm getting an insiders view of CSU circa 1985 lol, though I honestly think the author went a bit over the deep end with the whole studying/life deprivation thing... I'm only into her sophomore year right now so I can't really say whether or not I recommend the book, but if you're not afraid of hearing how insanely difficult someone else found at least the first year at CSU, it's probably worth the read :)

:eyebrow:

To the OP, congrats on your acceptance!! I'm reading "If Wishes Were Horses" right now... so I feel like I'm getting an insiders view of CSU circa 1985 lol, though I honestly think the author went a bit over the deep end with the whole studying/life deprivation thing... I'm only into her sophomore year right now so I can't really say whether or not I recommend the book, but if you're not afraid of hearing how insanely difficult someone else found at least the first year at CSU, it's probably worth the read :)

you have ignited some interest in me about this book you speak of lol... but there are about a dozen books witht hat title, and none seem to follow the plot you briefly described... who is the author, i'm intrigued..

and to the OP, I am VERY jealous!!! CSU was my frist choice, but i am still on the waitlist... I know what you mean tho, I don't know wha ti would do if i got that email... I have kind of fallen in love with Tufts, and am not 100% sure (like i was starting this whole process) that I would go to CSU if they called...

CONGRATS!!! you are a rockstar and i hope you LOVE it out in fort collins!!!

Do you think it gives a realistic picture of what vet school is like? I was reading some of the reviews and the vet students who commented pretty much said that vet school isn't as bad/hard as the book made it out to be.

Thanks Shanomong, I am going to look into that book, sounds very interesting. I am also trying to get my hands on "up to my armpits" it is about a west Texas large animal vet....sounds funny.

StillDreaming, congrats on Tufts and thank you for your kind words! I will let the forum know how my visit goes in few weeks.

My guess is that vet school will be different for everyone... having read it, I guess it could be that hard for someone. There also might have been a little bit of glorifying her position (swamped in self-doubt and struggling to make it through) but I think it's worth reading anyway. I read it, and I was like, "Whatever, I ain't skeered. Bring it!" so I think you take from it what you want. If it's easier than she makes it sound, great - if it isn't, well, I was forewarned and I did it anyway.

Besides, the book is entertaining as well. And that's why we read, right?

Incidentally, I grabbed it, the Herriot books, and several other 'read-for-fun' books at the vet med library. They have a little section. I doubt the vet students frequent it much, since they probably have other things to worry about. :)

Off topic...."The Making of a Woman Vet" tells a similar story about Ohio Vet Med and one woman's journey through that and working at AMC. A bit dated but a really, really good read!