Toughest and Easiest residencies after DDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harry747

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow dentists,I am a 4th year dental student and I was wondering which residency is the toughest/easiest to get into? I can move to anyplace in the US.
AEGD,Endo,Ortho,OS etc? Which one is the easiest? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like a smart idea to pick a career based on how easy/hard it is to get into a residency program. Is this question for real?

Hello fellow dentists,I am a 4th year dental student and I was wondering which residency is the toughest/easiest to get into? I can move to anyplace in the US.

prosth

I think it varies from school to school.

For example, perio residencies are very laid back at some schools while some others have extremely tough curriculum.

In general, GPR/OMS/Pediatrics/Endo have tougher on-call schedules which require the residents to come in, but it doesn't mean that other residencies have it easy.

Prosth residents at our school need to wax, invest, and cast most of their fixed units and do most removables from start to finish. That's a lot work.

For example, perio residencies are very laid back at some schools while some others have extremely tough curriculum.

In general, GPR/OMS/Pediatrics/Endo have tougher on-call schedules which require the residents to come in, but it doesn't mean that other residencies have it easy.

Prosth residents at our school need to wax, invest, and cast most of their fixed units and do most removables from start to finish. That's a lot work.

Thanks for a serious reply but I think you misunderstood my question. I was asking which residency is toughest to get into. By toughest I mean high applications to acceptance ratio. As someone mentioned that OS is tough so I would assume those programs must be getting way more applications for a few available spots. Are AEGDs competitive too?

Thanks for a serious reply but I think you misunderstood my question. I was asking which residency is toughest to get into. By toughest I mean high applications to acceptance ratio. As someone mentioned that OS is tough so I would assume those programs must be getting way more applications for a few available spots. Are AEGDs competitive too?

http://www.natmatch.com/dentres/stats/2013sumstats.html

Do the math.

Apples to oranges

Generally, Ortho OS and Endo are the toughest. Everything else is quite a bit easier, on average.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ultimate dentist!

I bet it's tough.

I can't imagine how they do it. Make your own stent for CL, do your CL, prep the tooth, impress, pour, wax. invest, and cast all on your own. That's a ton of work. Not to mention you are studying literature for perio and pros as well, which are both literature heavy specialties.

Can anyone do a good job elaborating on this. What are the hardest residencies to get into for real aside from the jokes and bull**** commentary. I was under the impression: Ortho>OMFS> but what after this?

Can anyone do a good job elaborating on this. What are the hardest residencies to get into for real aside from the jokes and bull**** commentary. I was under the impression: Ortho>OMFS> but what after this?

Well, since such a serious topic requires serious dialogue...

ortho and oms are hard to get into. So are peds and endo (straight out of d-school). Perio and pros are significantly easier, but there are some programs that are pretty competitive (usually the ones that pay). Some GPRs are competitive. Some AEGDs too. Other than that, I don't know what more you want???

The perio-pros guys at UT are genius. They spend their first two years primarily in pros, their next two years primarily in perio, and their fifth year finishing their combined cases. However, most of the time they end up placing a lot of implants in private practice and not truly getting to use a lot of what they've learned. There's a pros-ortho guy at UT too.

After Ortho, OMFS, is probably endo.

I can't imagine how they do it. Make your own stent for CL, do your CL, prep the tooth, impress, pour, wax. invest, and cast all on your own. That's a ton of work. Not to mention you are studying literature for perio and pros as well, which are both literature heavy specialties.

Sounds like when I went to dental school at temple. We had to do it all.

Dental public health is the easiest. No one wants to do it.
Oral path always has openings every year.