DDS + Clinical Experience only: Enough for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanonot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Are DDS holders with ~10 years of general clinical experience likely to get into a residency program in a specialty? Or is it a long shot?

Members don't see this ad.

This depends on the residency and the program. Clinical experience is nice, but it's a small part of your overall application. Don't overlook those other parts.

Reactions: 1 users
Which one are you looking it?

I know of perio, endo, and pedo specialty residents that had 10+ years of experience.

That being said, you may hate being back in residency. You will have superiors that may or may not have huge egos and you will have academic BS to deal with in any residency that you definitely don't have to in private practice. On the flip side, you don't have to worry about staffing and management etc (though you do have to deal with the consequences of an untrained/no show assistants) so just be aware of that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Which one are you looking it?

I know of perio, endo, and pedo specialty residents that had 10+ years of experience.

That being said, you may hate being back in residency. You will have superiors that may or may not have huge egos and you will have academic BS to deal with in any residency that you definitely don't have to in private practice. On the flip side, you don't have to worry about staffing and management etc (though you do have to deal with the consequences of an untrained/no show assistants) so just be aware of that.
Thanks! I'm interested in orofacial pain.

yep you should be fine. my understanding is that many oral radiology, orofacial pain, oral path end up practicing in academic settings at least partially

Reactions: 1 user
You golden. But may I ask why you want to go into it? are you going into an academic route?
I like the discipline, and I want to practice it. I'm happy to go into academia besides clinical practice as well.